Favourite Band

I don't really know what you're talking about. Of course it's a bit different, but I don't see how one is better way to sing than the other.
He clearly overdoes things on that song. Too much emotion, too dramatic singing. It reminds me of the video below. On the other hand, Allen and Lande sound so natural.

By the way, I love this song and Brel’s singing on it . I’m referring to how he fakes emotion by crying.

I never cared for Pain Of Salivation, for the record.
You’re not alone.

I liked this passage of Allen’s interview:

Jamie: Talking about other collaborations, are you and Jorn Lande likely to do anything else together?

Russell: Maybe tour. I don’t know if we’re going to do another record, I think we should tour first and get to know each other and all that good stuff and see if we’ve got something. I think it would be fun, I don’t know what he’s up to, we don’t talk, we have no relationship really so I don’t know what he’s up to but I think it would be a good idea for some touring. I do like doing records with him because its easy, the songs are great and his voice is great and I always look forward to doing it, “It’s Allen & Lande time” *laughs* so I can just get in the studio and do my thing and it’s a lot of fun. But there’s nothing currently on the slate coming up that I know of. We finished our contract run with that and I haven’t talked to Frontiers about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man what's with Anathema? It's like post-rock. Too many twinkle twinkle arpeggios, not enough music

^ It's great "post-rock" actually. But yeah I do feel the same way, "not enough music" for my ears. Then again, my ears seem used to not expecting that kind of aural satisfaction from Anathema.

Onto the topic of Rush that was posted and debated earlier in the thread; to me, their last good album was Counterparts- but their really great albums are Caress Of Steel through Moving Pictures. A string of six great albums. Iron Maiden also made a great string of 6 with their proper lineup: Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Brave New World.

Another band also did a great string of six--- I'm gonna let you guess on this. The albums are Symphony X(had Russell been on vocals) through The Odyssey.

Only one of these bands are much younger and could do a lot better.

I'll leave it up to you to fill in the blank.

And there you have it, 666, the number of the beast. :Smokedev:

^ It's great "post-rock" actually. But yeah I do feel the same way, "not enough music" for my ears. Then again, my ears seem used to not expecting that kind of aural satisfaction from Anathema.

Hmm, maybe I need to rewire my ears. I listen to a lot of new age music (eugghh, I know...) that has very little "content" in it - just a pure, contemplative structure. Maybe Anathema is new age music for metalheads. :err:

Onto the topic of Rush that was posted and debated earlier in the thread; to me, their last good album was Counterparts- but their really great albums are Caress Of Steel through Moving Pictures. A string of six great albums. Iron Maiden also made a great string of 6 with their proper lineup: Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Brave New World.

Another band also did a great string of six--- I'm gonna let you guess on this. The albums are Symphony X(had Russell been on vocals) through The Odyssey.

Brave New World was over a decade after Seventh Son, no? Also, why no Killers?

Even at their best Maiden is highly inconsistent...Prisoner, Number of the Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, all pretty good, but Children of the Damned for Example is totally uninteresting IMO.

You want a string of great albums - Gentle Giant, 8 classics in 7 years. Most prolific string of excellent albums I'm aware of. (King Crimson comes close with 8 classics in ~12 years)

Hmm, maybe I need to rewire my ears. I listen to a lot of new age music (eugghh, I know...) that has very little "content" in it - just a pure, contemplative structure. Maybe Anathema is new age music for metalheads. :err:

I don't know if post-rock properly defines Anathema either. I find them to be one of those bands that are a bit difficult to categorize, and not only because they've evolved over the years from doom metal to whatever they are now. And what's with "not enough music"? They may stick to one thing at a time per song instead of assaulting the listener with a dozen different things, but what they do, they do extremely well. I find them to be the kind of band I was probably looking for for years before I discovered them. Atmospheric, passionate, great melodies; all the good things.

Gentle Giant have been pretty hit-or-miss for me. Camel's first five albums on the other hand, are flawless. Too bad they couldn't make it 6. Genesis' Nursery Cryme through Wind & Wuthering(the Hackett Albums) are also high up there.

As for Maiden, I like Children Of The Damned; and Piece of Mind is really when they came into their own IMO.

And how could I forget the first six Sabbath albums?!?<self face-slap>

An obvious choice for me is PoS:
Entropia
One Hour
P.E.
Remedy Lane
12:5
BE

6 of my all-time favourite albums in a row.

Also Opeth:
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverence/Damnation
Ghost Reveries
Watershed and Heritage are quite good, too.

YMMV. Sometimes less is more.

I can think of a bunch of bands that pulled off 6+ solid albums in a row. Most of them are not prog though. :lol:

Even at their best Maiden is highly inconsistent...Prisoner, Number of the Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, all pretty good, but Children of the Damned for Example is totally uninteresting IMO.

Children of the Damned is awesome, as is everything else that Bruce touches. Some of the stuff on their newest albums is actually pretty poor as far as songwriting etc. goes but Bruce's presence makes them not so.

And yeah, I too can think of a lot of bands and people that have pulled off long strings of exclusively great albums, but nothing is more important to me personally than Sad Wings of Destiny - Sin After Sin - Stained Class.

Children of the Damned is awesome, as is everything else that Bruce touches. Some of the stuff on their newest albums is actually pretty poor as far as songwriting etc. goes but Bruce's presence makes them not so.

And yeah, I too can think of a lot of bands and people that have pulled off long strings of exclusively great albums, but nothing is more important to me personally than Sad Wings of Destiny - Sin After Sin - Stained Class.

A good vocalist can't save a bad song. You don't have both, you don't have either.