Favourite Band

Never heard of Lalu or his 'Oniric Metal' album (will check it out), but Virgil Donati and Michael LePond? That's a very good sign. :D

I'm going to see Leprous live in Milan tomorrow night,this time they're headliner
and I'm very happy,I think it's going to be the best gig in this year for me

Just come back from Leprous'gig. Simply amazing,what energy,power,rage they
have ,I was totally shocked, they are the future of prog metal,also played new songs.Not much crowd but everybody enjoined a lot,guys,you don't much how much they're good until you see them,the singer (also at keyboard) went down the stage playing !Waste of air" among the crowd,he con't stand still on stage
as all the other members.Long life to Leprous

I don't want to be tedious,look at some videos live on youtube,they are
awesome,one of the best gig I've seen in many years,worthwhile wasting a day
of work ,making 200 miles by train and waiting all night a train to get back home.Tired but very happy.Next year they'll play at Wacken

check on dprp.net on the news section there's a great Arjen lucassen's video,
he's coming back with a new Ayreon cd ,you will be laughing at seeing it

laughing "at" it? I can't take that guy seriously. About the only thing he achieves for me is the promotion of unknown talents' own unknown bands, because there's no way I'd listen to them in the crap he often writes.

Leprous kicks ass live. Seen them as Leprous at PPUSA< and they are the backing band for Ihsahn, also seen at PPUSA. If they ever get a proper tour here, I highly suggest going to see them.

Ayreon's Universal Migrator is up there with the best in the genre. Human Equation is great as well. Arjen's other stuff has it's moments, but tends to not live up to potential. Pretty much always worth a listen though, if nothing else. I wonder who the vocalists will be this time around.

Universal Migrator is his best work, probably not in any small part thanks to the one song-one singer-approach he mostly took on it. I still think it's a mixed bag like all of his albums. Part two starts off quite nicely but really drops the ball at around the time the dreaded Kotipelto picks up the microphone. Part one is more consistent but the "yay I'm back in time doing what people did back then"-lyrics start getting pretty old as it goes on.

The guy should try making an instrumental album, it just might work.

I've been following him since "Final experiment" (one of his best,to me ),he's a good guy with many ideas and deserves all respect. "Actual fantasy"is a bit more
pop and electric,better "Electric castle" even tough there are many spoken parts
but "flight of the migrator" is prog at its best,check"Dawn of a million soul" along with "Universal migrator " that is even progger with Neal Morse singing in Beatles
style "Last man on earth",the wonderful Damian Wilson express his sadness in "Druids turn to stone" but the best is Tiamat singer in "My house on mars".What can I say about "Human equation"? Stunning,expecially Saviour Machine's singer
Eric Clayton in "The voice of reason" (check a single cd with a lZeppelin cover of
"No quarter" and bowie 's singed by him) and lost but never forgotten Mike Baker
(also singing in "Migrator").Another mastrpiece is "01011001" ,Ayreon at his best
with a stunning cast with another lost guy (Gotthard's singer Steve Lee,rip),but just naming Gildenlow,Lande, Hansi Kursch,Bob Catley,Evergrey's Tom Englund all
at their best shape,what do you think? Of couse he did bad things ,of course he's too busy and some projects as Ambeon,Stream of passion and his last
"Lost in a new real "aren't great ,but he's a pure genius and I'm sure he's preparing something great with special guests.

basically, you like all his stuff.

it's not very objective i'd say... a lot of the people you listed I am a big fan of. But not in Ayreon. I'd rather listen to old Threshold, Pain of Salvation, Blind Guardian, Spock's Beard than any of those Ayreon albums. In fact, anything by any of those other bands.

I don't have a vendetta against the guy. How he manages to find and book so much talent is really amazing. But musically I can't stand it.

It's not just about gathering up the talent who do great on their own and then letting them come up with something even more epic together. Music doesn't usually work like that IMO (I base this merely on the fact that most of my favorite music is done by one, maybe two, "talents" with the remaining members being good). Especially if you're the one writing and arranging the stuff, then what's the point anyway?

Having said that, I do like some of his stuff.

Some of his stuff is really good, though. Like, really.

This is probably my favorite.

Besides "Temple of the Cat", which is a piece of shit song, The Dream Sequencer is pretty nice I think. Other than that I only like a few songs from Electric Castle.

Last edited by a moderator: