Favourite Band

Agalloch is great. RIITIIR is okay. Mardraum will always be my favorite Enslaved though.

I'm currently listening to what we in sweden call a "salig blandning" (blissful mix?) of bands: Sodom (Agent Orange and M-16), Naglfar (only two first albums), Deep Purple (primarily Shades of Deep Purple, the first album) and Kate Bush - Aerials (AMAZING album). Much of this is on my portable player so it won't show in my last.fm profile (in signature).

(dreamlike!)

(br00tal. love the sound)

(one of the finest moments in classic rock IMO)

(my favorite german thrash metal song, but I'm not a big fan in general)

However none of those are my favorite band at the moment. That would probably Anathema, as I not too long ago listened a lot to Judgement and A Fine Day to Exit and realized just how good some of that stuff is. So I'd say either Anathema or... Marillion:

There's always a Marillion song I can put on and enjoy, regardless of mood.

For a short-term favorite (disregarding my usual favorites, and only based on the last week or so of listening), I'd say my current favorite is probably A Fine Frenzy.
EDIT: fuck, no, it's probably Fates Warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
He said "with their proper lineup," meaning Bruce and Adrian were both present. Yeah, Janick was on BNW, but we all know he's only in the band because Steve was too nice to kick him out when Adrian returned. ;D

Iron Maiden and Rush are my favorite bands. Dream Theater and Symphony X are next. Your comment regarding Janick is well taken. Most of his solos are brutal. But he's a pretty good song writer IMO. If you are a fan of Maiden's material from the last four albums, he's written some of their better songs.:)

Your comment regarding Janick is well taken. Most of his solos are brutal. But he's a pretty good song writer IMO. If you are a fan of Maiden's material from the last four albums, he's written some of their better songs.:)

His songwriting is definitely solid, but he's incredibly sloppy. I don't mind him, Janick adds to the Maiden spectacle, but I'd be fine hearing another album from a purely H/Murray team.

Aside from his contributions to some of the better songs on the last four albums (Ghost of the Navigator, BNW, Dance of Death, Talisman, etc.), Janick is simply unnecessary. Most of their newer material simply doesn't have the need for three guitar players, nor do they seem to make an effort to write material that does. And yes -- his solos are easily the weakest of the three. He has some solid melodies in some of the BNW solos, but most of the time it's just improvised slop. Murray does the same thing, minus the slop.

It's all about Adrian.

Aside from his contributions to some of the better songs on the last four albums (Ghost of the Navigator, BNW, Dance of Death, Talisman, etc.), Janick is simply unnecessary. Most of their newer material simply doesn't have the need for three guitar players, nor do they seem to make an effort to write material that does. And yes -- his solos are easily the weakest of the three. He has some solid melodies in some of the BNW solos, but most of the time it's just improvised slop. Murray does the same thing, minus the slop.

It's all about Adrian.

And Murray. Murray is the T-bar madman who improvises the best and has the most fluid tone. H is the more technical and he can pull off the solo exactly like it sounded on the original record every time. Besides, they play off the other, literally and figuratively.

But yeah, Janick is sloppy as hell(ugly too). The only work he's done that has been worthwhile is on BNW, and in my opinion they haven't made a good record since(there's some okay songs, sure) with him.

I mean, when I first heard that it was gonna be a three-axe attack I thought that they'd finally play songs like "Flash Of The Blade" and "The Duellists" live.

But, nope. What a waste.

The only work he's done that has been worthwhile is on BNW, and in my opinion they haven't made a good record since(there's some okay songs, sure) with him.

Everything is a matter of personal taste of course, but while I love Brave New World, A Matter of Life and Death is my favorite among the "reunion era" albums. I also think Dance of Death is a strong album. I didn't like most of The Final Frontier at first but it's grown on me some. It's still my least favorite of the last four albums.

I regard BNW as one of their finest work. The one time I've watched them live was for the BWN tour, in Stockholm, 2000.

Top tier: 7th son, powerslave, somewhere in time
High tier: BWN, number of the beast, killers
Pretty high tier: piece of mind, fear of the dark
and then the rest being pretty equal.

BNW is some of the best they've ever done. And fie on you all for bashing on "sloppy" playing. If I wanted to listen to accuracy, I'd program a MIDI machine to do it instead of a human being.

just come back from milan,saw Flower kings and Neal morse ,3 hours set plus encores,30 minut of Transatlantic medley,what a gig !!!!!!!!