Favourite Band

BNW is some of the best they've ever done. And fie on you all for bashing on "sloppy" playing. If I wanted to listen to accuracy, I'd program a MIDI machine to do it instead of a human being.

sloppy playing works in favor of the music in many cases. see Dissection.

there's a ton of those girls prancing in the woods with flutes, harps, violins and other stuff and play covers of all sorts of stuff on youtube.
can't say I'm very impressed by any of them.
if they would sing, on the other hand.

BNW is some of the best they've ever done. And fie on you all for bashing on "sloppy" playing. If I wanted to listen to accuracy, I'd program a MIDI machine to do it instead of a human being.

There's a difference between skilled leniency as a result of technical expertise (interpretation, rubato, blue notes, etc.) and just not having the chops to play the way you actually want to.

So yeah, not a fan of sloppy playing...

I care more about the spirit of the music than the execution. Just a different perspective. It's why I cannot stand any of the technical metal stuff. Like watching paint dry for me.

I can't say I enjoy the music if the people playing it suck, or can't write, or sing etc, no matter how much 'spirit' or 'charisma' or whatever it may have.

But it's not like you either play perfectly or suck. There's a lot of space in between, and I too think the spirit or whatever of the music is more imporant than the execution. It does depend a lot on what kind of music is being played though.

I care more about the spirit of the music than the execution. Just a different perspective. It's why I cannot stand any of the technical metal stuff. Like watching paint dry for me.

Well well well, there's the fact that tech metal is usually not all that technical, just played fast! But when you have something like Sieges Even's Steps, the technical craftsmanship becomes sort of a marvel in itself. It's not a substitute for taste, but I don't think you can really bring taste to life without the chops. I'm not interested in "spirit" that feels no need to hone itself and is content to sort of muck around in the "I'm just so brilliant I don't need lessons" phase. I don't even think geniuses are interesting enough to pull that off. If you really have "spirit," you bring it out by learning the craft well. And of course you can deviate...but like I said, there's rubato, and there's having no rhythm.

I see a trend of sensationalizing. Including my own comments. There is a middle ground and it is where good music is, I think. I suppose my argument was intended to be that in that middle ground, I prefer to lean toward "feeling" vs "ability". I can forgive a production that isn't as good or playing that isn't as precise a lot easier than I can forgive music that is primarily an exercise in mathematics. For the same reason, I have difficulty accepting most (not all) fractal work as "art".

But it's not like you either play perfectly or suck. There's a lot of space in between, and I too think the spirit or whatever of the music is more imporant than the execution. It does depend a lot on what kind of music is being played though.

I'm actually a virtuoso, in my opinion.

Iron Maiden were the first rock/metal band I heard but as my Favourite I'll have to go with Death!

There is a middle ground and it is where good music is, I think. I suppose my argument was intended to be that in that middle ground, I prefer to lean toward "feeling" vs "ability". I can forgive a production that isn't as good or playing that isn't as precise a lot easier than I can forgive music that is primarily an exercise in mathematics.

I can agree with this. I used to love the technical stuff, and I still do under the right circumstances, but for the most part I think music should be about the emotion it produces. For a guitar-based example, the simpler, feeling-infused solos (see Opeth's Windowpane) have a much greater effect on me than mindless Petrucci/Rudess wank-fest unisons.

Romeo isn't as annoying as many of the other shredders because his style has a fluidity to it that many other top-notch players lack (due to all the tapped legato stuff, I assume). However, it's rare that I find an MJR solo that emotes on a basic level, which is a shame.

1) this is beautiful

2) it has nothing to do with "feelings"

3) it has everything to do with the technical architecture

nuff said

Last edited by a moderator: