Favourite Band

Yeah, that song is alright. However, I agree with Phanto about the band name sucking, especially since DGM apparently stands for the first names of the founding members, none of whom are in the band anymore. :lol:

I am moving farther and farther away from technical playing, and more into creativity, atmosphere, and emotion as time goes on. I prefer lyrics that can affect me on an emotional level over cheesy power metal crap.

If it's mainstream or not, there's no arguing with good music.

It doesn't matter if it is complex, simple, fast, slow or mainstream music. As a Brazilian conductor once said: “There is Wagner with his huge orchestra and heavy music and then there is Érik Satie with his light piano music, and both of them are good.”

Last edited by a moderator:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbBT3Dn-nI&list=PL82DBB016575D0FB2[/ame]

One of my favourite albums of 2011 that I just picked up.
It's definitely unique. Love it.
This is the first album I've ever heard with accordion as a main instrument. Win.

Vocals in this song are intentionally behind time and slightly flat; it's not because he sucks, IMO. (I quite like him).

Which reminds me! In regards to the convo on the last page:
I prefer accuracy and skill overall, but with personal touches and humanistic elements. Solo in Windowpane is by far more interesting to me than a shred fest.

Post #666 in this thread :p

It doesn't matter if it is complex, simple, fast, slow or mainstream music. As a Brazilian conductor once said: “There is Wagner with his huge orchestra and heavy music and then there is Érik Satie with his light piano music, and both of them are good.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU

And both of those examples are heads above the tech metal crap I've heard. Even the experiments and exercises of those composers far surpasses, because they understood that part of the equation is melody. Part of it is narrative. And part of it is technical ability.

In contemporary metal, it seems that these things often get separated by different groups and subgenres to detriment. As they say, if I must choose one for a desert island, technical ability would NOT be my choice. It'd be like listening to the output of a computer modem.

I think Symphony X fans can appreciate this band. Occasionally cheesy, but technically impressive power metal with classical influences

A brilliant fugue:

On a concept album about Macbeth:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call IQ my favourite band by a long shot, but since this thread is not entirely about that anymore, check IQ - The Wake. That album has really grown on me.

talking about great english neo prog,check Big big train's "English electric part 2"
featuring Nik d 'Virgilio, absolutely great if you like early genesis ("Trespass"),a must as it was part 1

I'd rather say "more than excellent" along with "Dark matter",the only problem now is what they will do about a new album without Martin Orford.To me "Subterranea "is the best concept of 90's era as "Operation mindcrime" was for the 80's,glad to see them more than once,also at 20th anniversary when they played "Last human gateway" .

Haven't heard a lot of his stuff but he was awesome on the second Ark album at least. He'll do fine.