Favourite Band

Maybe it's just me... but I don't get this song, or any of PoS, to be honest. It bores me to tears. I don't hear this supposed "emotion" that everyone raves about. I just hear weirdness.

Granted, the first Opeth song I heard was Face of Melinda, and it bored me to tears, too. But now Opeth is my second favorite band. So who knows...

I guess it's just preference. Cuz I sense sooo much emotion in all their songs. Try Second Love and Ashes. And for another good newer song try No Way. :headbang:

@Kenneth

I liked A Trace of Blood the best, but the others were decent, too. Thanks for the links! Still, there's some quality of his voice that I'm not fond of, I'm just not sure what it is.

What PoS album would you guys recommend I check out above the others?

I say Remedy Lane as well.

I was already going to say kudos to Ken for posting two of my favorite PoS songs, "A Trace of Blood" and the very emotional "Iter Impius"!

I really think Remedy Lane is the best album to show the diversity in the band and is a good start for newcomers to the band. Here is something else from Remedy Lane that I think may stand out to you more and is the first song by them I ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been getting into PoS over the last few months and I started with The Perfect Element.
I just LOVE this album. I now have One Hour BTCL, Remedy Lane, and 12:5. PoS have become
one of my favorite bands. I don't think they are for everyone however. Even though I'm a
metalhead from way back, I do appreciate the softer side. I think PoS are just beautiful.
Her Voices is my favorite song on TPE. I'm waiting until I'm completely familiar with all the
studio versions that are on 12:5 before I listen to it. I will be getting Entropia next.
I can't say enough about PoS.

I find it very hard to post PoS songs because every one is completely different, and they only showcase a few aspects out of many that I love about 'em. Also, an album by PoS is best heard from front to back. It'd be like posting "Bird Serpent" to show somebody some SX.

My favourite album of all time is The Perfect Element, so naturally, I have to recommend that one. Remedy Lane is a gem, though, so you cannot go wrong.

Way better than Two.

I haven't listened through it but a couple of times so far since I have been picking up so much stuff lately; however, so far I feel I like Two a bit better. Don't ask me why though because I really couldn't tell you. Afterall, I could easily change my mind with more listens.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I'll check out Remedy Lane.

Thanks for posting this; it's the best song I've heard yet by them!

I'm glad I could help! I remember that being the first song I ever heard by them and it making me quite curious about them.

I think the thing about PoS is that you have to find a song by them that has a sound that instantly appeals to you and go from there. You slowly start appreciating songs that didn't pop out to you as appealing before. I also believe that the Road Salt albums are of the type that are not good starter albums for newcomers. Even I didn't really warm up to Road Salt One until quite a few listens through. Also remember that if your like me and listen to a lot of heavier music most of the time, PoS will be a band you won't listen to all the time, but just when your in the right mood.

My first album by Opeth was Damnation. Damnation is actually one of my least favourite Opeth albums... though I still like it a lot. Ghost Reveries is what really hooked me. I picked it up, and as soon as Ghost of Perdition started, I was blown away. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before:
Weird note selection, haunting melodies, creative song structures, great contrasts, and a rhythm from hell, all topped off with an amazing production.

Oh, and Face of Melinda is amazing! Have you ever heard a drummer use brushes in a metal band before?!?! :p

I saw Opeth last night in San Francisco. What a great show. Katatonia opened and I liked them even though I hadn't heard much from them. But Opeth were outstanding. The music was so tight and the sound was maybe the best I have ever heard. The venue was the Warfield Theater which has great acoustics so that had something to do with it. But you could hear every band member crystal clear and the volume was just right. My ears weren't ringing when I left. And they played Face of Melinda which was perfect. I pointed out to my daughter that Axe was using brushes like you mentioned. He played an awesome drum solo during Porcelain Heart. Great drummer. They opened with The Devil's Orchard and Haxprocess was the encore. They played 2 hours and I wanted more. I kept shouting "Ghost of Perdition" but to no avail. I can't wait to see them again. They are playing with PoS next month in Europe. Talk about a dream show.