Favourite Band

I saw Opeth last night in San Francisco. What a great show. Katatonia opened and I liked them even though I hadn't heard much from them. But Opeth were outstanding. The music was so tight and the sound was maybe the best I have ever heard. The venue was the Warfield Theater which has great acoustics so that had something to do with it. But you could hear every band member crystal clear and the volume was just right. My ears weren't ringing when I left. And they played Face of Melinda which was perfect. I pointed out to my daughter that Axe was using brushes like you mentioned. He played an awesome drum solo during Porcelain Heart. Great drummer. They opened with The Devil's Orchard and Haxprocess was the encore. They played 2 hours and I wanted more. I kept shouting "Ghost of Perdition" but to no avail. I can't wait to see them again. They are playing with PoS next month in Europe. Talk about a dream show.

That's awesome. They're playing in Chicago on the 28th and after reading this I just might go. I think it's cool that Mikael is gutsy enough to do an entire tour without the growly stuff (which I love, too). I think it sort of weeds out the people who only want to hear RAWR!!! DEMN OF TEH FALL1!!1! and caters to those who can appreciate all of Opeth's music.

Does Katatonia have growlies? I haven't heard anything by them.

Another question - did they play Folklore from the new album? That song has one of the coolest endings I've ever heard in any song ever.

Katatonia's last bunch of albums all contain clean, smooth, calm vocals. The guy has a nice tone.
Their stuff is pretty decent, but IMO, there is no need to own more than 1 or 2 of their albums because they all sound the same. Even by the end of one album, you're kinda burnt out.

"Viva Emptiness" is a good album to start on.

Sounds like the setlist most of us don't really care for on here is pleasing the fans at the shows
Yeah, makes sense that there would be more of those fans considering that Iconoclast/PL sold the most records. Such a shame.

sad news :Vanden plas's bass player is very sick ,went to the hospital, band
cancelled a date in Italy .Wish him he will recover soon

Does anybody here know this band? Never heard of them before.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Nope, never heard of them. Not a huge fan of the lead guitar playing, but the band as a whole is pretty great. I definitely will give it a try.

It's not really the prog style I love anymore, and there's some serious Dream Theater worship going on (the singer sounds very similar to Labrie at times, too), but that was very well done. Respect will be given.
I would've LOVED this 4 years ago, or so.

And to answer your question, I've never heard of 'em before either!

This Eumeria band isn't bad! I guess their keyboard player used to play in a band called Outworld with Rusty Cooley, and they got the band's name from Mortal Kombat (awesome). Anyway, Eumeria does sound like Dream Theater, but with better overall songwriting and less wankery (at least that's the impression I got form this song). I'll have to check them out!

This Eumeria band isn't bad! I guess their keyboard player used to play in a band called Outworld with Rusty Cooley, and they got the band's name from Mortal Kombat (awesome). Anyway, Eumeria does sound like Dream Theater, but with better overall songwriting and less wankery (at least that's the impression I got form this song). I'll have to check them out!

Man, I remember Outworld....that was quite some years ago. I believe they were based out of Texas; however, nothing much came out of the band and they only had I think one album? Pretty cool stuff though if I recall correctly.

Ah yes, Outworld. They made Raise Hell, a song where the singer tries so hard to out sing Ripper Owens, and then some other forgettable songs. Definitely more interesting.

My favorite band is Dream Theater, and has been since 2006.

It's not really the prog style I love anymore, and there's some serious Dream Theater worship going on (the singer sounds very similar to Labrie at times, too), but that was very well done. Respect will be given.
I would've LOVED this 4 years ago, or so.

And to answer your question, I've never heard of 'em before either!

I like the song, but I think the vocals are a little bit too thin.

Great, now that Spock's Beard has lost both Neal and Nick they can start making good music.

BUZZ-ING