• Empiricism

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Epic

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Origin

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Jun 23, 2007
I've noticed that all Bork albums are very different production wise. They all have their own sound. For example the "spacey" sound of Empiricism, or the muddiness of Quintessence, or the cold sound on The Archaic Course. So I ask, what's your favourite?

For awhile I thought Empiricism had the coolest production sound, then Origin came along. I am very into music production so I went with the cleanest possible choice. I don't like the production on the older albums, especially on Quintessence

I HATE the production of "Quintessence", and that's a pity since the album contains such great songs. It's the same with other albums produced by Tagtgren around that year...

I guess my choice would be "Epic" or "Empiricism". Cannot choose right now, though.

I don't really understand why anyone thinks the productions on any of the borknagar albums sound bad.

I always hear loads of people complain about the first album, but IMO it's one of the best produced black/viking albums ever.

The Olden Domain

not necessarily the best production, sound quality-wise, but for me it's just the amazing atmosphere this album has.

I don't really understand why anyone thinks the productions on any of the borknagar albums sound bad.

I always hear loads of people complain about the first album, but IMO it's one of the best produced black/viking albums ever.

Production is all about the quality, and how well each instrument is mixed. You can hear each element clearly on the more recent Bork albums, but on the old ones you can't because they were poorly mixed. And like Isjungfrun mentioned, Colossus has some type of weird issue with the bass, like it was EQ'd with the lower frequencies boosted and then compressed with a high ratio. :)

Production is all about the quality, and how well each instrument is mixed. You can hear each element clearly on the more recent Bork albums, but on the old ones you can't because they were poorly mixed. And like Isjungfrun mentioned, Colossus has some type of weird issue with the bass, like it was EQ'd with the lower frequencies boosted and then compressed with a high ratio. :)
I dunno if I'd agree, I mean I don't think it's that hard to hear the different instruments in the older albums.
I think the sound difference is more to do with the bands sound changing over time rather than poor mixing.

I dunno if I'd agree, I mean I don't think it's that hard to hear the different instruments in the older albums.
I think the sound difference is more to do with the bands sound changing over time rather than poor mixing.

Or not, Archaic Course and Quintessence are two extremely similar albums regarding the style, but the way they were produced are so different and I find it really effects the albums.

And for the record, no one is really bitching about the productions or about how bad they are. We're entitled to discuss what we enjoy and hate about Borknagar albums all we want.

Or not, Archaic Course and Quintessence are two extremely similar albums regarding the style, but the way they were produced are so different and I find it really effects the albums.

And for the record, no one is really bitching about the productions or about how bad they are. We're entitled to discuss what we enjoy and hate about Borknagar albums all we want.
I disagree completely on AC and Q being of similar style. But again I guess that's only my view and one I'm uninterested in arguing.

I'm not saying anyone is bitching here, I'm just saying in general people all complain about it, when compaired to most other albums it's actually pretty good.

While you are of course entitled to, you should probably consider the reasoning behind such a pointless endeavor.

I went with 'Epic' although 'Origin' obviously has probably the best sound all round. I think 'Epic' is closest to blending crispness with an earthy feel, perfect for Borknagar.

I chose Quintessence, I guess the "bad" production and rough sound creates that feeling that we (all Quintessence fans) love :kickass: :headbang:.