Favourite Underworld Tracks

What are your favourite Underworld tracks? (pick three, no more, no less)

• Total voters

Liampie

Jan 10, 2009
Almost two weeks since the album came out... It's time for this obligatory poll now!

Please pick three songs. Thou shalt pick three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt pick, and the number of the picking shall be three. Four shalt thou not pick, neither pick thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

Votes are public because why the fuck not.

Haha, love the 3 votes. Very thematic. I picked Underworld, Charon, and Legend. Wasn't really much of a consideration for me either; these songs are just wham bam thank you ma'am good. Love the new album!

5/5 "Legend"s. This shows that the album V is a legend. : P

Hmm, I went with my initial favourites, which are Legend, Kiss of Fire and Underworld. I loved the album entirely, though.

Legend and To Hell And Back are my top 2 votes. I went with Swansong as the third but it was close between that and Charon, and some of the other songs are not far below.

I went Underworld, Kiss of Fire, and Legend, but I think Charon really ought to be in there somewhere. All other tracks with the exception for RwTD were not far below by any means, though I think Without You is officially my second least favorite.

I also went with Underworld, Charon and Legend. I agree with Ken about Kiss of Fire being too one-dimensional. Almost like they are trying too hard with that song, but doesnt quite get "there".

Voted "Underworld", "Swan Song" and "Legend". Easy choices.

Surprised so many people love "To Hell and Back". It just seems to me like two average-at-best Symphony X songs half-assedly joined together. It does absolutely nothing to justify the length. What am I missing? Do you guys find the "oooh" pre-chorus parts in this song to be that much more creative than the others throughout the album or what?

AsoTamaki: I would never say "To Hell and Back" was top 3 or anything, but the reasons I like it, in particular, are the choruses, the solos, the joining section, and on a slightly lower level, the verses in the second half, and the intro/outro little melody. I actually think the chorus of the second half is one of the 3 or so strongest on the album.

Went with the title track (which I think is the most interesting due to its structure), Swan Song (beautiful), and Kiss of Fire (dark, evil, fun, obligatory cheesy lyrical bridge).

To Hell and Back has grown on me quite a bit, but it seems like the length was passed by adding more guitar solos than was necessary. I seem to recall there being at least three, none of which are memorable. I love the verses in the beginning and those polymetric funk chords right before them, though.

And what's the deal with Legend? It's a cool song, don't get me wrong - but maybe it just hasn't clicked with me yet. I think, that just like the title track, it could have benefitted from being a few minutes longer. They tried too hard to write songs for the masses with this album when it comes to the track structure; most rush into the verses far too quickly. And with Legend, that "legend never dies" part could have been extended and had some more interesting things going on underneath it musically at the end.

There are only 2 solos in To Hell and Back, and a keyboard solo. What isn't to like about Legend is the question you should be asking :D There should absolutely have been a high vocal note at the end though.

There are only 2 solos in To Hell and Back, and a keyboard solo. What isn't to like about Legend is the question you should be asking :D There should absolutely have been a high vocal note at the end though.

Is one of the solos like a minute long? Not sure why I thought there were more. And agreed about Legend. On a similar topic, does anyone know what the highest note Russ has hit in Symphony X is? I'd wager it's the one in Kiss of Fire.

Kiss of Fire is a high D sharp. I have been searching the discography for something higher, but haven't found anything yet. Damnation Game has some really high stuff on it, actually, but I haven't compared yet. He really hadn't developed his pipes on that album. He really has to strain himself in some parts. I'm curious if anyone found anything higher as well.

EDIT: He ties it at the end of Edge of Forever and Wicked, and beats it a few times in....Adrenaline Mob. That seems so backwards. He should be singing his highest notes in SX for sure. There is a high F sharp in one AM song I'm told. Not sure about AM's newest album either, as I refuse to listen to it.

Woahhh just heard a high E a few times in Looking Glass. That's gotta be the highest SX note.

Yeah, he hit that Kiss of Fire note many times on DG. Besides The Edge of Forever, the final chorus in Dressed to Kill is probably the best from that album. But my favorite is on The Eyes of Medusa ("with no beginning or no END to be found...").

Yeah, I think the TTLG note is the highest too. In AMob he does it on a cover of "Barracuda", but whatever.

To Hell and Back has grown on me quite a bit, but it seems like the length was passed by adding more guitar solos than was necessary. I seem to recall there being at least three, none of which are memorable. I love the verses in the beginning and those polymetric funk chords right before them, though.

I do like the intro and the first verse, but that's it. It's all downhill from the pre-chorus. Just nothing compelling at all. And the second solo is just straight up obnoxious, man. It makes the keyboard solo afterwards feel completely unnecessary too.

I can accept Run With The Devil as just a decent hard rock tune. That's all it's trying to be. But as an almost ten minute long progressive metal song, To Hell and Back simply sucks. I honestly can't think of a worse one from any band listen to regularly. I think it's their worst attempt at composing a song since the debut.

With Legend, I mainly like the verses. Good vocal melody and a refreshingly different style of guitar playing. The solo section is very cool too.

I think the KoF note is more impressive in alot of ways than any note he has hit with SX, because it is hit cleanly with power, sustain and vibrato, with no strain, and from out of the low/mid register. No real series of build up notes whatsoever, which I really like.

I actually kind of like the second To Hell and Back solo, especially the intro run, because it sort of reminds me of the King of Terrors solo, which is in my mind is in the top 3 solos Romeo has ever played. So relentless and such odd tonality. The differences in opinions are so funny and awesome regarding this album. The verses in the first half of Hell and Back are my least favorite part of the entire song (still think they're cool though).

Not sure how close it is to the highest note but I would at least submit a few notes during the chorus of Walls of Babylon as a contender. Maybe not higher than KoF though.