Favourite Underworld Tracks

What are your favourite Underworld tracks? (pick three, no more, no less)

• Total voters
Underworld just has everything you want. I mean, obviously that gnarly "in hellllll" part is not something we've heard before but this song has the keyboards all over, wicked and groovy riffs with the choir element. Russ hitting the high notes and low notes and that epic almost inferno-like soaring chorus.

Legend because I love the prog and the ending with that break from the mayhem (which sort of reminds me off the Assassin's Creed II soundtrack for some reason).

And Charon because it's bone crunching riffs, the vocals are penomenal and above all, different with that "Ohhhhhhhhh" almost like a shout of fright from the passenger on Charon's ferry, and the ending which I really appreciated.

I'm honestly not a big fan of Romeo's idea of "cutting the fat". There are so many parts of this album that could have been prolonged. I like long songs. Like for me, they should have made Underworld and Charon longer mini-epics and eliminate "In My Darkest Hour" completely.

Daniè;11045709 said:
I'm honestly not a big fan of Romeo's idea of "cutting the fat". There are so many parts of this album that could have been prolonged. I like long songs. Like for me, they should have made Underworld and Charon longer mini-epics and eliminate "In My Darkest Hour" completely.

totally agreed!

There shouldn't be much fat to begin with. It shouldn't be thought of as fat. There should be lots of meat. There is a way to lengthen and develop songs without over-repeating ideas and writing long, drawn out sections of music. I do think that Romeo realizes this, but it is possible his solution for UW made the album a little skinny. I think for the next album, they should keep this "meat" approach, but add some more bulk.

More instrumentals, more variation between similar sections. More, but not necessarily longer sections.

Now that I've had a chance to give this a few more spins, I'm confident in my answer:

1) Legend, definitely the best track on the album
2) To Hell and Back
3) Kiss of Fire

i dont get all the hate here on forum on in my darkest hour....if any metal band wrote and perform that song it would be hit single probably...its a simple song, what, its not ok if SyX writes a simple heavy metal song?! average riff, average verse, great prechorus, great chorus and great solo...it would be killer live, i would love to see them chrushng all the european festival stages with that song:devil:

The thing is the song could have been borderline legendary for SX with a few added sections and a tweak to the final chorus. At least that's my issue with it. It's a great song as is, though, for sure.

My main problem with it is that I don't like the chorus, and the chorus is 40% of the song. Can't explain why I don't like the chorus, but it's not interesting to me in any way.

If the song had a better main riff, a proper (1+ minute) intro before the vocals started, and a non-solo instrumental section, it'd be great. But as it appears it is simply too "rushed" for me. It's like they purposely tried to write a radio-friendly song.

Legend certainly has a tonality that we haven't really heard from Symphony X outside of perhaps Frontiers.

Legend has a fantastic verse (top 2 on album), and th pre-chorus is good, but the chorus itself is awful and brings down the whole song for me.
The AaaAaaAaaaAaaahhh part is nice.
Intro is... okay... time sig sounds a little choppy and forced until it's embellished a bit for the second half.

The choruses on this album are very hard for me to look past.

I personally think the chorus is pretty good, but I just feel it doesnt really fit the song, like it comes out of nowhere.

Rullo does the 16th note bass drum single-stroke roll way too often on the last few albums. That's one of the things that brings this chorus down. He's capable of being so much more creative than that.

Chorus is probably my 4rd favorite on the album after Underworld, second To Hell and Back chorus, and Swan Song. It's very Accolade 2 to me against a more energetic backdrop. Agree on the 16th note bass drums, though. In fact I think SX has almost always done this too often, not just on their most recent albums.

Chorus is probably my 4rd favorite on the album after Underworld, second To Hell and Back chorus, and Swan Song. It's very Accolade 2 to me against a more energetic backdrop. Agree on the 16th note bass drums, though. In fact I think SX has almost always done this too often, not just on their most recent albums.

You're right... it has always plagued the music. IMO, it should almost never be used at all.

Despite my general objections to it, I have to say I find the Underworld chorus one of the most convincing applications of 16th note bass drumming in all of the SX discography, and I'm not sure why. At first I guessed it was because of the constant 16th note keyboard part, but there are certainly plenty of songs with such a quality on which I wouldn't like 16th note bass drumming. I find it much less convincing in the Legend chorus. Much, much less.