Fawlty Towers

I doubt the League Of Gentlemen has made it outside of the UK yet. It's a shame as it's the darkest, sickest, most toe-curlingly hilarious show for years. If you can watch PAL videos then it's worth buying a copy of the first series from somewhere like www.blackstar.co.uk

It's got it all: hairy transvestite taxi drivers, anal, toad-obsessed freaks, cannibalistic butchers, grossly Incompetent vets, insestuous shop owners ("Are you local"?), etc, etc.

I saw the live show in London and it was great.

Papa Lazarus and Pauline the re-start officer are my favorite characters :)

"Hello Dave!!"

Haha, yes I saw the London show too and I don't think I've ever laughed so much at the theatre! The League Of Gentlemen is definately up there with the best of em!!

Monty Python is the king though, along with Fawlty Towers. I also regularly laugh myself silly to Frasier, Only Fools & Horses, Father Ted (havn't seen those two mentioned yet?), Red Dwarf, Blackadder.....

Hmm, this has the potential to get quite long...

Fuck, how did I manage to forget a League of Gentlemen? I loved that christmas special - the first without the laughter track, where you see someone go around, piss on someones grave, make it into a snowball, throw it at santa and find out its the vicar!!!! This is a local village for local people.....

I saw the league of gents live show in london too - It gave me a permanent smile on my face. and I stood next to Jeremy Dyson who is one of the writers.

Ohhhh don't get me started on this... haha

League of Gentlemen is incredible. I loved it. It DID make it to Canada, though I don't recall what channel it was on, as my sister (obsessed with British Comedy) taped them.

"We don't pass solids in the upstairs toilet!"

My all-time favourites are Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python..

Mr. Bean would make the list, but Rowan Atkinson is worthy of so much more sophisticated humour.. too bad all he's known for is Bean, really.

The Young Ones and Bottom were on my list for a while, just some base humour. I CANNOT get into Alexei Sayle though, he just blithers on and on..

Has anyone seen "The Secret Policeman's Ball"? It was an Amnesty International event, with live Monty Python and Rowan Atkinson and.. Gryf Rhys Jones (from Not the Nine O Clock News I think), among others.. very good. There were some sequels.. "The Secret Policeman's OTHER Ball" and "The Secret Policeman's Private Parts" I think.. could be wrong.

AbFab is great, but I preferred Murder Most Horrid.

Fry and Laurie takes a lot of getting into, but they are really funny.

For North American, Kids in the Hall took risks that SNL never would (being on Canadian TV, then HBO). I still love a LOT of their material. SNL has lost so many good performers, you have to weed through crap to find the 10% that's still gold.

I just saw "Curb Your Enthusiasm" this week. It is (or was) an HBO series, written and starring Larry David, the co-creator of Seinfeld. So the comedy is like Seinfeld uncensored, without Jerry's whiny voice, basically. I really enjoyed it.

Sitcom-wise, I still love M*A*S*H and Cheers, Frasier is the best recent sitcom, really. Will and Grace has its moments.

Arrrgggh, this makes me wish I had more than 2 channels right now.. :cry:

"Don't mind him, he's from Barcelona."

I saw a tape of Fry & Laurie, actually, before I was even familiar with Blackadder. I thought it was funny, but it didn't quite catch my attention like it would if I watched it again today.

Another name that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Whose Line is it Anyway?. Clive Anderson rules - his verbal jousts with Greg Proops are downright hilarious. It's too bad they moved it to the U.S. with Drew Carey, simply because Clive was so funny, and, of course, they had less content restrictions on British T.V.

Of course, the show was undeniably MADE by Vancouver Theatresports alumni Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles. Colin is my hero.

I swear to god, I read through the entire thread (quickly) and didn't see a single reference to 'The GOODIES' !?:yow: What's the Deal!!!
Anywho, I thought we were sticking to British comedy but anyways:

The Goodies
Monty Python
The Young Ones
Red Dwarf
The Fast Show
Bottom
Frasier
Buffy

I've seen a little of Black Adder and while good I never got into it like the suff above. And strangely enough, I've seen like 2 episodes of Fawlty Towers and didn't think very much of it at all....

" It's not dead sir, it's 'pining'. ":D