Dirge for November

Originally posted by Lina
I think, if I remember correctly, that both Hoser and I strongly dislike this song. It's so repetitive, very unrepresentative of Opeth in my opinion.

You mean you're not even sure if you dislike it yourself? I've got to disagree. (vague anyboby?)

Originally posted by luke

You mean you're not even sure if you dislike it yourself? I've got to disagree. (vague anyboby?)

No, she means she's not sure if I dislike it or not, her grammar was just a little off.

For the record - Yes, I've singled it out as the weakest point of Opeth's recording career, in my humble opinion. The soft intro bit is great, the lead guitar melody after it goes heavy is quite good, but the same rhythm chords just drone on much too long with too little variation for the likings of someone who loves Opeth for their progressiveness.

(although, this has little to do with this thread, but I was prompted. As you were...)

The soft intro bit is great, the lead guitar melody after it goes heavy is quite good, but the same rhythm chords just drone on much too long with too little variation for the likings of someone who loves Opeth for their progressiveness.

i agree (just with the select part of your quote-not the 'lowest point in their career' or other parts..), and yet i totally love the song-it doesnt have progression its got ~atmosphere~, which i think can be even more difficult to achieve.

This song is amazing. I can't see how any Opeth fan could dislike it.

Part 1 - The clear vocals, beautifully done...brings the listener right into the "trance like..."

Part 2 - The continuous trance like melody of the music...Mike's vocals portray much lamenting, emotional, power, in the following stanzas...and then...

Part 3 - An absolutely haunting ending...so melodic, so fucking great.

I don't get that some of you don't get this.

it's a great piece of music if you're looking for atmosphere, as evisceratrix said. i happen to dislike repetitiveness. and i love opeth because their music engages me, there's always something going on. i don't listen to opeth to fall into a trance.

Wow. What a forum. A discussion about music and no one slagging anyone else off just because they like or dislike a song.

For the record, not that anyone really cares, I think it's possibly one of Opeth's least good songs, but I still like it a lot. And that just speaks volumes about how fantastic the rest of their music is.

And I've toyed with the idea of the "dove" bit as indicating that he will be at peace, but I'm not too sure. Lyrical translations never were my strong point.

I really like this song, there's a lot of emotion there. Even in the repetitive chords. Strange that people specifically would single that bit out since Opeth repeats everything 4 or 8 times anyway, this doesn't seem very different.

Anyway, I wasn't sure what this song was about for a while, but it made sense eventually. He's "lost," etc. Now everyone's gone, he's prepared it all. Maybe he's in a bathroom. People kill themselves there a lot because it's easy to clean. He sees his reflection and is disgusted. Then he cuts his wrist, and the last 3 lines are just metaphor. From what I've heard, the dying part of death is actually pretty nice. It's what leads up to it that's not. So the last couple lines fit.

-Hondo

Originally posted by Hondo
I really like this song, there's a lot of emotion there. Even in the repetitive chords. Strange that people specifically would single that bit out since Opeth repeats everything 4 or 8 times anyway, this doesn't seem very different.

Exactly ! What the jesus are they talking about ? Opeth's music by definition is based on repetition, on the contrast of attention streams that go toward the music because of the riff complexity, and from the music inwards because of their trance-like repetition. Opeth is as repetitive as Katatonia, for what it's worth. So what ?

D Mullholand

Originally posted by D Mullholand

Exactly ! What the jesus are they talking about ? Opeth's music by definition is based on repetition, on the contrast of attention streams that go toward the music because of the riff complexity, and from the music inwards because of their trance-like repetition. Opeth is as repetitive as Katatonia, for what it's worth. So what ?

D Mullholand

This I believe to be true. I find Opeth's music to be both repetitive and diverse. Opeth will repeat a riff for a short period of time then move on to another and another. There is that old saying, "quality over quantity." I believe Opeth provides both, and for that, I whole-heartedly thank them.

Opeth is repetitive in that they repeat riffs, but then every band is repetative in that sense. However, unlike Katatonia, they actually change tempos and have many more riffs within a song and the songs themselves are much more complex, which to me, creates an atmosphere where the repetition is unnoticeable. Some songs like Dirge for November are repetative, but then they depart from the structure the majority of Opeth songs have.

i don't associate the word "repetitive" with opeth at all.

i associate that word with bands who sing the same line of a chorus over and over again.

repetitive isn't necessarily bad, however. it can often work really well.

When I say repetitive I mean it without any connotations. Though they're less repetitive than bands that have one riff through the whole song. Maybe it's because Opeth's riffs are like 30 seconds long, heheh.

I know why people single out DFN though, I guess. The mid section is flat compared to the melodic first section. When it switches into it, it's kind of like the feeling you get when you're going up some stairs without paying attention and expect another step but there isn't. Just an objective observation, since it's been already established that I love the song.

-Hondo

Originally posted by dune_666
Opeth is repetitive in that they repeat riffs, but then every band is repetative in that sense. However, unlike Katatonia, they actually change tempos and have many more riffs within a song and the songs themselves are much more complex,

ahem! :p
katatonia does change tempos. its sometimes just a matter of dropping into/out of cut time...which i guess doesnt count so much. but sometimes its not. and maybe i suck at guitar but when i worked out 'shades of emerald fields' i thought there were plenty of riffs(and tempo changes. hehe). maybe not so many as opeth :p. but the songs simply arent as long, and the musical intent is simply not the same as opeths...the bands dont need to even be compared against one another.....mentioned together, perhaps. but not compared/contrasted....

as forlorn soul put it PERFECTLY before in this forum, and as its been quoted in the katatonia forum as well when an opeth fan wandered in saying theyd heard katatonia being compared to opeth:

"[...] It is a shame that they always are compared to Opeth, considering that (a) Katatonia's been around for much longer and (b) they don't sound similar (except some melodies on Orchid sound like Dance of December Souls).

Secondly, anyone looking for progressive and technical music should _BY ALL MEANS_ steer clear of Katatonia. This is not the goal or result of the music. It's minimalistic, intensely personal music. If you are one of those listeners with a short 'attention span', then you will HATE Katatonia. However if you are one to sit back and give it your full attention, let it sink in, they could easily become a band you worship. "

AMEN forlorn!

which to me, creates an atmosphere where the repetition is unnoticeable. Some songs like Dirge for November are repetative, but then they depart from the structure the majority of Opeth songs have. [/B]

true! and some of us like it and some dont :p.

-ok, on this note, let me bitch about something. i mean, everyone is entitled to their opinions about music....and i dont mind when people say 'opeth suck' or whatever...i wont like em as much but i wont argue with em :p hehe...but when someone says 'MAYH and morningrise [or just insert two other titles of your choice, whaterver] were their only good albums!" it makes me want to scream! i dont see how they can get that opinion? but im one of those jaded people who love all of opeths music.....what do i know ;P
sigh....
:cry:
:D

yeah, i don't know how you can like one and not all. it's great the way nearly everyone buys their whole catalog at once. :)

katatonia's trademark to me are those constant, unchanging, unwavering, droning 8th notes that provide the backdrop for every single one of their songs. how does that require an attention span? it's BECAUSE i want to analyze the music that i don't like them. it's mood music, not engaging music.

but enough of this. you and i will be at each other's throats about this band til the end of time. :p :lol:

Lina : concentrate on this sentence and try to read it aloud :

"Opeth are MORE repetitive than Katatonia !"

Beep. Beep. ...... Beep.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, Opeth is not significantly more "analyzable" than Katatonia, plus structurally even a little less flexible. Once you get past understanding their formula, which is simply repetitive riff-sequences, plus some riff variations, what's left to analyze ? The melodies/harmonies, but why ?

But I do like Opeth more than Katatonia, definitely.

Dr. Mullholand