Feared - Possessed (Ermz mix)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Ever since the original competition ended my intention was to find a spare spot on my calendar late this year and remix the entire album for kicks. It's been a long time since I've mixed something just 'for 'fun' and this album has many great tracks on it. Unfortunately, since I'm already booked until February of 2014, it doesn't look like this will ever get a chance to happen.

So instead I figured I would float a higher quality version of my original 'Possessed' mix (which the album mix was going to be heavily based off) rather than the streamable YT and Soundcloud versions already available.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285689/Music/Feared - Possessed (Ermz Mix).mp3

Only a rough master chain on there, but you get the idea. Hope you guys dig. Take care.

I swear, it's like Mario is about to jump out of the speakers any second and stab my face. Killer mix :)

Hi, Ermz!
Great mix!
The only unpleasant thing I've noticed is some resonance (somewhere around bass' 80 Hz presumably), which can be heard pretty well during the intro blast part.
Did you use some Waves RBass / MaxxBass etc.?
Keep rockin'! ;)

The DIs were reamped with a JVM410H. I would've done them again through a slightly different sounding cab for more mid-grunt and less sizzle.

There is no use of sub-harmonic enhancers, though the effect the Brit N console of VCC has could be construed that way.

Absolutely awesome Ermin :kickass:

I really enjoyed the vox in the beginning.

Everything sounds balanced, clear .... as usual, great job :)

I did this mix at the start of the year, so my memory isn't too great on the details. I do recall running the bass DI through my Distressor and bass rider before reamping though. I tried to even it out in stages. The performance was very aggressive so it didn't need too much compression. I used mostly the dunlop MXR pedal for the grinding distortion, Ampeg SVX to shape the bottom end, and tried to keep the bass out of the way of the kick as much as possible while still having it as a driving force in the song. I used a lot more VCC Brit N than I normally do. It was a bit of an experiment, to hear how a mix would sound with it as opposed to my usual use of Brit 4k. Ended up being a more 'hi fi' mix. More tops and bottoms, less mids, less glue but more 'brutality' I guess. No Nebula use at all. Brit N contributed to some of the 'looseness' of the bottom end, as that's just how it's voiced.

Snare is about 50/50 raw vs sample. I wanted to keep a lot of the raw vibe as he played it quite well. I used samples mostly to beef up the tops and bottoms, using some of my common Slates and one-shots. One of the one-shots I detuned by an octave in order to give me some massive low-end to blend instead of needing to crank the low shelves. It was compressed by hardware DBX 160 and Distressor compressors. I pretty much always use analogue compression on snares.

To me Feared is all about making Mario sound massive. So many mixes of this song were done, and on so few did I feel any justice was done to his crazy vocal takes. The guy's voice loves compression, saturation and distortion so I threw on as much as I could get away with.

I wish I had a bit more time to experiment with the guitar reamps, as the tone came out a bit more sizzly and less gutteral than I would've liked. That's something I'd have spent time refining, had I managed to find a spare month to do the rest of the record.

Ever since the original competition ended my intention was to find a spare spot on my calendar late this year and remix the entire album for kicks. It's been a long time since I've mixed something just 'for 'fun' and this album has many great tracks on it. Unfortunately, since I'm already booked until February of 2014, it doesn't look like this will ever get a chance to happen.

So instead I figured I would float a higher quality version of my original 'Possessed' mix (which the album mix was going to be heavily based off) rather than the streamable YT and Soundcloud versions already available.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285689/Music/Feared - Possessed (Ermz Mix).mp3

Only a rough master chain on there, but you get the idea. Hope you guys dig. Take care.

The link is not working, share the di files, please.