February 6th people

lenouveaureseau

New Metal Member
Feb 2, 2010
First of all, hi.

Well I am going to drive down to NYC from Montreal to witness this.

What are good cheap places around that the stone to eat and sleep? I'm not familiar with the city at all.

If any of you would have a floor to crash, let me know!

See you there

Simon

Basically, from the stone, you're going to head west along Houston Street. Within about a 20 minute walk, there are innumerable places to eat & side streets full of places to eat.

A couple of standouts off the top of my head:

Katz' deli (huge, not-cheap pastrami sandwiches. Like $13 per sandwich though. But huge)
205 East Houston Street

Poutine (because I know you don't get enough of it in Montreal)
168 Ludlow Street

An Choi (Vietnamese sandwiches)
85 Orchard Street

For really cheap and good stuff, I can name like 4-5 Chinatown places--about a 20 minute walk away.

also, Simon, fair warning: the Stone only holds like 40 or 50 people and does not do presales, so if you're coming really far, make sure you arrive early enough to get in. I've seen people turned away from crowded shows before (I think Toby turned away Matt Dillon at the door a few months ago) and it would suck to come down from Montreal and not get to see the show!

I'm not sure if the show is going to be full or not, but...I must know 30 people who say they are going to be there, and I can't imagine I know most of the Kayo Dot fans in NYC. maybe, though.

Yeah... I would've liked to secure spots before the show, but my friends and I plan to get to the venue early enough. I guess we'd be good at 5 or 6 pm.

I'm going to make a few phone calls to youth hostels tomorrow..

if you get there at 5 or 6 PM there will probably be nobody in outside and pretty desolate...7 should be way early enough (especially because they tend to open the doors right before the show starts, at 8). but then again I don't know exactly how crowded it will be so I don't want to lead you astray.

I saw Terran's Nevsky Prospekt show there last night (outstanding) and Toby said they plan to shoehorn 68 people in on Kayo Dot night. 2 things about the Stone if you've never been there:

1) cannot use the bathroom once the show starts, because it's onstage.
2) no food, no drinks, and no bringing in a drink in your bag and sneaking it (a guy tried it last night and got hollered at...it jeopardizes the community's license).

haha I realized both of the main places I recommended are basically stuff you can get in Montreal (poutine obviously, but Katz' is almost exactly Schwartz' but with bigger portions and bigger prices).

there are surely a bunch of good places to eat along ave c, b, and a walking northward. I just know the stuff to the southwest because I work near there.

also...shit, may not be too crowded after all:

snow_graphic_300.jpg

Holy crap. 2 feet of snow in D.C. If NYC gets the same there may be no show. Not too mention good luck getting there from Montreal. This is the type of storm that closes highways.