Female metal fans! Please answer these questions for my research, thankyou!

ms brutal

New Metal Member
Mar 8, 2010
Calling all female metal fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please answer in as much detail as you like and send your answers, that would be a big help thanks! :D

1) What got you into heavy metal and how did you first enter the scene?

2) How large a part does heavy metal figure in your life?

3) How involved are you in the heavy metal scene- do you attend gigs and festivals regulary/participate in forums on the internet?

4)How often do you consume heavy metal products, eg- band merch, cds do you collect these 0ften?

5) Is your identity shaped by being a heavy metal fan- do you wear clothes on a daily basis which signify that you are a fan?

6) Do you feel you are treated differently for dressing as a metal fan when you're not around other fans?

7) Do you feel you are treated differently for being female at gigs and festivals and do you see these spaces as predominantly male dominated or not?

8) How would you explain your experiences of being a heavy metal fan, what do you like most about the music?

9) What do you feel about metal images/lryics which are perhaps considered sexist/ misogynistic?

10) Do you feel you identify with male/female band members on stage? if so, how?

11) have you been in a band, played or own an instrument?

12) Describe your experiences of seeing a favourite band live?

13) What do you feel about the idea that Heavy metal is said to be a very masculine genre of music?, How do you see your own identity as feminine/masculine?

14) What do you like about metal compared to other types of music?

Officially, I'd say November 09 when my friend showed me who this long haired bearded viking god who played bass and sang was. Before that I listen to classic rock, so I've liked rock for a long time. Specifically metal, a few months.

Not huge, about 20%

3) How involved are you in the heavy metal scene- do you attend gigs and festivals regulary/participate in forums on the internet?
Not much, I don't usually go to shows, too busy working. This forum, thats it.

4)How often do you consume heavy metal products, eg- band merch, cds do you collect these 0ften?
Nah, no money driving a bus. hahah Actually I'm waiting for a Tarot T-shirt coming from Finland.

5) Is your identity shaped by being a heavy metal fan- do you wear clothes on a daily basis which signify that you are a fan?

Nope, I don't dress fannish. *snicker*

6) Do you feel you are treated differently for dressing as a metal fan when you're not around other fans?

Doesn't apply to me.

7) Do you feel you are treated differently for being female at gigs and festivals and do you see these spaces as predominantly male dominated or not?

Don't know yet.

8) How would you explain your experiences of being a heavy metal fan, what do you like most about the music?

Well, I've been inspired by the music, the sounds are powerful and energetic sometimes.

9) What do you feel about metal images/lryics which are perhaps considered sexist/ misogynistic?

Metal fans are mostly guys, what can ya do? boys will be boys. Hell, there's lyrics in I Rule that are purely male..ah..activities that crack me up. Something about "exploding" & " spill my load" hAHAhahaAH

10) Do you feel you identify with male/female band members on stage? if so, how?

Mmmm not really, but I can ID with my favorite Marco Hietala a little, we both like Science Fiction, both play bass-well, he was my inspiration; he's always smiling...so am I haha! So I have a little in common with Marco.

Middle & High school band. Played: Trombone, Trumpet, French Horn, Baritone, Tuba. The latter was the best. Today: I picked up the bass guitar in January, learnin from the best freakin teacher in town.

:cry: I don't know yet! I can't go to to see Tarot in Sept.

13) What do you feel about the idea that Heavy metal is said to be a very masculine genre of music?, How do you see your own identity as feminine/masculine?

It doesnt bother me, I'm sort of a tomboy girl. What would gross out a typical chick would crack me up. I used to run around catching snakes and lizards as a kid. I'm all girl, but I'm not afraid of a little dirt and mud.

14) What do you like about metal compared to other types of music?[/QUOTE]

Intense sounds, intricate rhythms, it's different. Some of it's too crazy for me, I like the more melodic style.

No idea if you want this PM'd or in thread..so...I post it like it is

because of the music, and actually i don't remember very well the first time..i believe it was when i was 9 or 10 years old.

it is huge...i do not imagine my life without heavy metal. It helps me to work, to do housework, to go out, to go to the banck...etc etc..

I try to go to gigs here in my city, but sometimes the quality of the gig is not good, but i participate in forums and attend every single weekend to the same metal pub here in my city.

to buy things every month, to listen and download things..every day...

I have t-shirts of some bands.. i try to wear black always because it makes me look thiner...(hahaha)

Here in my country we have a huge scene..but they think always you're a weirdo..or satanist..or something..

not really...it is good to go hunting..nice-looking-long haired- youngsters..when you're a cougar of course.-..

it is a strong feeling that makes you know you're alive, you feel that everytime you listen to a good song on the radio or go to big concerts, to see your metal heroes is amazing.

depending on the band...there are great lyrics and bad lyrics...as in everything, you'll find good things and bad things..

not really...i don't think girls and heavy metal must be involved..unless you're Angela Gossow..or Lita Ford..but gothic-metal..does not deserve my respect...

just sing in some gigs as a part of my friends' bands.

Two favourite bands Kiss and Iron Maiden..it was amazing you could feel on your stomach the butterflies..the power of the music and many people connected in one feeling...is something that i'll remember forever...Also i've seen many other bands...but these two marked my life...

I don't care that much..I feel the music and appreciate good bands and styles..so who cares if it's masculine or feminine..

The power of the riifs...the awesome voices and composition ... which you can actually feel on your veins...

Hope it helps...:headbang:

It might help adding a deadline to your work, because I already get the feeling I might be a bit too late, anyways, I'll still fill it in ;)

Well I'm 20 now, I reckon it was around my 12-13 years of age (2002?). At the time I got intruiged by MTV's Metalzone at night. Of course it were mostly the female-voiced bands (who in my opinion are one of the most mainstream acceptable genres) that catched my eye. And it grew from there, I guess. I didn't have colleague-students that shared my affinity though, catholic school...
I did have a great fascination for a band called Creed :)p i know) and Metallica even in my latter years of elementary school. I guess even as a child I was already looking for some meaning in music. It started early on in my life, that's for sure...

I would say about 50%. It's something that is present in my life daily. I have a bf that also has a love for metal. And I write reviews for a webzine called Fueled-magzine.

I do attend gigs occasionally. My bf's in a band, so I get free entrance, woohoo! This month I'm going to 3 gigs, 2 of his and 1 Alcest, but next month I'm only going to 1, and last month I didn't visit any. It varies greatly, but I don't drive and there are hardly good shows in Ghent. That has its impact as well. I come to this forum to talk about nothing, it's quite invigorating.

I don't have much band merch at all T-shirt-wise. They are mostly extremely box-like and do nothing for the female shape. I do however own an Evergrey-one, Poisonblack, Arch Enmey and Lacuna Coil (that I never wore because I've always planned to do some work on it, but it never happened). I do have quite some cds. The latest years however, I've become more demanding. I only buy the very best nowadays.

Since I'm a bit older now and a student of Journalism I've toned it down a bit. It is still present in me so I don't feel the constant need to wear certain clothes for others to see what music I like. I do like feminin clothes with lace, a variety of different textures actually, and the colour black. I don't mind at all that some days I'm hardly recognisable as a metal fan. For interviews it is also important that you don't impose a threat on your interviewee. You want to appear casual, and as normal as can be ;)

I did have that idea when I was in highschool. As I said earlier, it was a catholic school. Also, I can be very quiet and I was almost always late for class eventhough I lived very close-by. So being looked at differently could have had multiple causes :p. I consider myself as a very nice, cosniderate person. It wasn't until my last year of highschool that I was actually (only psychologically) bullied for being an individual rather than an over-tanned surferkid. But that was by one person, and a few minions. So, in an entire school that's quite alright.

The gigs I attend nowadays are more doom and pagan folkishly inspired. There are quite some females present, mostly accompanied by their guy though. So you could say it's still a men's world. I don't feel like I am treated differently. For the most part I don't visit gigs that have moshpits and things anyways (because it's mostly not my style of metal). But I do think that if I was at one, I'd be pushed in like the guys. No discrimination, I reckon.

I like the depth of it. I don't like my music to be simple. It needs to be different every time I listen to it. It needs details and a lasting impact. And creating an impact solely based on sound is such a task to fulfil for an artist. But moreover, touching people through the music is an experience that not many artists aspire to reach anymore. I like the diversity it brings within the genre. There are sooo many genres within the metalgenre while it's being stigmatised by non-fans as 'horrible screams and chaos'.

It's still a man's world, so there. The bands that do such a thing realise that their main-audience consists of males, so they play into that, creating a song that will please them (cavemen).
Not really. Sometimes I can relate to the muxic, but not to the band members.

I am musically talent-incompetent.

I could say it was amazing, but that doesn't cover it by far. I saw Evergrey for the first time in 2006, and I joined this board in 2004 for them. I was in the front row and the show was astonishing and will never cease to exist in my memory. The day after there was a signing session and the singer recognised me from the day before :oops:. I look forward to seeing them again this June.

Well, it's true that it's dominated by men. I'm not bothered by it though. It's not as if I walk in and count to see if my sex is outnumbered or not. I have also gone to numerous gigs by myself. The metalgenre is too full of subgenres to simply classify it as a masculin genre. More men go into a frenzy when hearing Heavy Metal, but that doesn't mean composed women don't like it. I see myself as a strong woman, and my prefered musical style doesn't change that. It only reminds me at times of who I am.

I like the passion that overflows it, the fathering care that encompasses it and the emotion that plagues it.

Evelyn, I didn't know you wrote reviews for a webzine...very cool, but you better not dis any of my favourite bands! :p

1) What got you into heavy metal and how did you first enter the scene? I randomly found a Cradle of Filth song on Napster and then started dating a guy who listened to lots of metal.

2) How large a part does heavy metal figure in your life? Music as a whole plays a large part in my life. The passionate nature of metal music drives me during my workouts and when I'm sewing and driving. As a clothing designer, one of my main focuses is to provide other female metalheads and goths with easy clothing so I'm always listening to the music while I work.

3) How involved are you in the heavy metal scene- do you attend gigs and festivals regulary/participate in forums on the internet? I would go to more, but I live in Florida USA. Not very many bands make it here, but I try to support local bands I like.

4)How often do you consume heavy metal products, eg- band merch, cds do you collect these 0ften? I usually preview CDs by new bands I find online first and if I'm in love I always buy the album. I like to buy t-shirts (who doesn't) and patches for the the clothing and accessories I create.

5) Is your identity shaped by being a heavy metal fan- do you wear clothes on a daily basis which signify that you are a fan? Not at all. As someone who works with clothing, I dress it a lot of different ways. I don't think that you have to have a Bathory shirt on to listen to metal.

6) Do you feel you are treated differently for dressing as a metal fan when you're not around other fans? Not as long as the band t-shirts don't have anything offensive on them. I think it's worse coming from people in the metal scene. Men don't take attractive women into metal seriously. I've had people ask me if I actually listen to Cradle of just liked the t-shirt.

7) Do you feel you are treated differently for being female at gigs and festivals and do you see these spaces as predominantly male dominated or not? Yes, especially if you're an attractive female metalhead. Everyone thinks a: I'm here because my boyfriend likes the band. b: I'm a goth girl who doesn't understand what kind of concert I'm at. c: I must be a groupie. The metal scene IS predominately male but that's changing.

8) How would you explain your experiences of being a heavy metal fan, what do you like most about the music? I didn't get into metal until my 20s so I never had problems with my parents hating the music or anything like that. People at work think it's fun to ask what the name of the band I'm listening to is. What do I like most about metal? The passionate emotion behind the sound and the complex nature of good metal music.

9) What do you feel about metal images/lyrics which are perhaps considered sexist/ misogynistic? Who cares. You don't see it often enough to be offended. Plus, metal guys are like any other guy. Of course they're always thinking about naked women and having sex with every hot chick they see.

10) Do you feel you identify with male/female band members on stage? if so, how? Only in that we have the same tastes in music. I identify with any strong female personality so I'm especially drawn to bands like Arch Enemy who have powerful female members.

11) have you been in a band, played or own an instrument? I played harp when I was younger. I remember being in middle school and figuring out how to play Iron Man on the harp. Since I have this strange classical background, melodic death metal, symphonic metal, and Apocalyptica are some of my favorites.

12) Describe your experiences of seeing a favourite band live? A good live show always leave you energized at the end... and with a sore neck and ringing ears and a hoarse throat.

13) What do you feel about the idea that Heavy metal is said to be a very masculine genre of music?, How do you see your own identity as feminine/masculine? Even with all the women entering the scene, it's still very masculine. A lot of the women in symphonic metal bands just seem like women singing in a metal band. People like Angela Gossow and Vas Kallas are females who are metal and are in a band. I think they make it ok to be hot and ruthless. I don't really put gender in a box. I know effeminate gay guys who love black metal.

14) What do you like about metal compared to other types of music? Raw, unrelenting, full-on emotion. In your face brutality. Also, it just sounds fantastic.

I liked Limp Bizkit, Korn, all those sort of aggressive teenage nu-metal groups when I was in middle school. Started browsing www.blackmetal.com during that time and found I liked the music.

Not a HUGE part, but it is always there and I am not willing to part with it. Mostly just my own alone time and whenever I meet other metal fans.

When I have time and money I go to shows for local and touring bands. I post regularly on one metal forum online.

Not a lot of band merch, CDs when I have the money.

I wear black often which makes it less surprising to people that I am into metal and such, but I don't wear band shirts or bullet belts or whatever.

Nah, not at all.

DEFINITELY male dominated and DEFINITELY treated a bit differently, but I think we can all agree that the ego boost that comes from pickup attempts is nice sometimes.

I feel like I'm part of a club or a family, since most people aren't heavy metal fans. There's a lot of excellent bonding that goes on between metal lovers, and few things are more thrilling than seeing your favorite band play surrounded by other people who also love them. It's hard to pinpoint what I like best about the music since metal is such a hugely varied genre. I guess I find most of it exhilarating and cathartic, and I'm a big fan of the guitar solo.

9) What do you feel about metal images/lyrics which are perhaps considered sexist/ misogynistic?

I think I'm a little more forgiving because metal is still more or less "the boys' club" and I am generally not sensitive to such themes in music and art.

I don't really identify with them, but I have certain archetypes I am drawn to...for example I'm more drawn to females who play bass, guitar or drums than singers or keyboardists and like to imagine myself in their shoes.

I have only played in "bands" that were nonserious with friends, and I've never played in a metal band. I have been playing violin for 13 years and am currently working on some solo pieces for a charity concert. Playing music has always been a really solid part of my self-identity.

It's just great, difficult to pinpoint specifics since it is a very visceral experience where you just let yourself go with the flow and enjoy the atmosphere and overall vibe of the show. Triggers the same part of the brain as spirituality and sexuality.

Most metal bands consist of all men with a male vocalist, so introducing a melodic female voice definitely changes the perception of gender in a band's sound. As for me, I look and think like a female, but sometimes I act like a man.

Metal, especially the more extreme subgenres, focuses on fantastical subject matter and offers a good outlet for listener escapism. It can't be a coincidence that so many metalheads happen to have other geeky interests.

Evelyn, I didn't know you wrote reviews for a webzine...very cool, but you better not dis any of my favourite bands! :p

yah, love, it hasn't been online for very long yet. and the bar needs a bit of raising if you ask me, but it's a nice thing to do. you can read some of my stuff :p feedback is welcome fueled-magazine.

i should write a live review about The Vision Bleak and Alcest tomorrow, so that should show up there in about a week or so and might interest you ;).

um...I started with Nu Metal bands like Korn and Slipkot when I was 12/13. But then came the day X and I decided that my ears need better nourishment :D that's when I found Opeth :)

Mh...well, I listen to a lot of metal, but otherwise I'm practiculary normal.

Mh...I only know two people who listen to metal too. With them, I regularily go to concerts.

I get CDs for Christmas and my birthday, I always buy one band tees at a concert.

Mh...well almost all my clothes are black, but then I've always liked black...I don't wear studded accecories, and I only wear a necklace with a pentagram (not the satanic one.)

Yes, people, especially stupid teens around 13 call "Hail Satan!" or stuff like that when I pass by.

Actually, the guys at concerts are very nice to me. I'm kinda short, and they always ask me whether I want to stand in the first row so that i can see the band :)

I respect most metal musicians because i believe that it is much more difficult to practice a song than just doing a little programming for some computer-produced beat.

If that's the way they want to express themselves they should.I do not have to listen to them.

Yes, because the music is "between" us

i play the flute :D

It was great, especially the energy of all the other fans.

I'm a girl. I think most people think that Heavy Metal is for the "hard" guys...dunno.

It's more complex. usually. and i like "deep" lyrics. but then again, there are of course some black sheeps, also within the metal scene.

Numetal in middle school. I've moved on to bigger and better things but it still holds a dear place in my heart :p

Music is a huge part of my emotional life. Metal is what I prefer to listen to. It keeps me motivated and happy.

Not as involved as I would like to be, not too many gigs in podunk TX. I lived in southern cali for a few years and went to shows pretty regularly there. I'm not involved in forums - I've only recently been reading this one and actually just made this account to fill this out for ya! :)

I buy shirts when I go to shows, so not very often sadly. I stopped buying CDs a few years ago. :X If I really like a song I will pay to download it.

Nope. Jeans and a t-shirt most days. Occasionally the shirt I fish out of the closet will be a band shirt, but it's not to signify anything.

n/a

Of course they are male dominated. Whether I'm treated differently or not depends on how drunk the guy next to me is. But, my husband is a metal head too to so he's usually there giving everyone the evil eye and I get left alone.

I love the energy and rawness of it.

I don't feel anything about them. As Vanitas said they can do what they want, I don't have to listen to them.

Identify as in I wish I was in their place yea. But I'm not musically talented haha.

I played trombone in grade school. Tried to play bass but was not successful.

Amazing. They were playing in their hometown and the atmosphere and energy was insane. I didn't want it to end.

It is a very masculine genre. I am feminine and attracted to masculine. :) But I think the genre is very slowly becoming more gender equal and that's a great thing too.

I think a person's taste in music is a very personal thing and I respect all kinds of music. Metal just kicks more ass.

I got in the "normal" way... Starting out with nu-metal, then mainstream thrash, and the rest is history...

Pretty big. Everyone I know knows i'm a huge metalhead.

I'm pretty involved in metal forums but I haven't been to a metal concert since last summer. :erk:

I'd have endless band shirts if I wasn't broke. :lol:

I normally do wear band shirts.

Not at all.

I felt a little out of place when I went to Mayhem Fest last summer. And yes, it was mainly male dominated but there were quite a bit of females.

Depends on the genre, to be quite honest. Thrash makes me feel happy and energetic, ambient black metal makes me feel contemplative, and noise makes me feel aggressive and misanthropic... I like metal because it makes me feel many different things.

Don't give a fuck. :lol:

I feel I identify with female musicians seeing as I am one myself, and how hard it must be for them to fit in in the metal world.

Never been in a band, but I am working on a black metal project. (I play guitar)

I saw Slayer (not my favorite band) last year, and it was amazing. Just seeing them right there in the flesh was such a rush. At that time I didn't care if I looked stupid or not, I headbanged, ran around, screamed every lyric, it was brilliant.

I'm still very feminine despite my music. My music doesnt affect my personality at all.

I love all music for different reasons, I just like metal the most, because of what I said for number 8.

I can't remember, but I think it has a lot to do with getting bored of alt. and classic rock.

Not especially large. I mean, I listen to it, I will go to a show if a band I like plays. However, I'm not about to start going around saying "metal is my life" or something, because that would not be true.

I'll go to a show only if a band I like is playing. I would not go to a show just because there were metal bands playing. That being said, 2010 is shaping up so far to be an awesome year for concerts where I live, so lately I've been going to shows a lot more than often. Next is Katatonia! :D

4)How often do you consume heavy metal products, eg- band merch, cds do you collect these often?
Not so often anymore. I'm pretty broke, and I'm past the stage in my life where I want to have a wardrobe consisting of band shirts and jeans. That's not to say I won't support my favorite bands!

Not so much anymore. I stopped because it felt juvenile.

I wasn't treated differently when I did dress the part.

A little bit, not really though. I think a lot of guys just get really excited that a girl is into the same type of music. I do think a lot of girls around here who go to metal shows go to skank it up to get attention, and they give us (female metal fans) a bad rap. Oh well.

Lots of great people, lots of memorable shows, lots of fun. I remember thinking I knew what a concert was like until I went to my first metal show. The thing I like most about metal is how diverse it is. So many sub-genres, different styles, and techniques. I never get bored because there is always something to suit my mood.

9) What do you feel about metal images/lyrics which are perhaps considered sexist/ misogynistic?
I don't take it seriously, but maybe that's just because I am impossible to offend.

Not especially? I don't know how to answer this one.

I've never been in a band (not talented or motivated enough), but I like to sing and I can play the piano. My family owns a gorgeous one which is over a century old, and it's actually supposed to be mine, but my stepsister is in possession of it until she moves out. Which is fucking annoying because I would like to be able to use something that belongs to me.

12) Describe your experiences of seeing a favorite band live?
Well the last band I saw live was Finntroll, my favorite folk metal band. That was last Thursday, they put on a great show with Swallow The Sun and Moonsorrow. So much energy, so much dedication. I'll never forget it :)

It's true. Most heavy metal musicians are male. The music itself appeals to males as it is often angry and heavy. I don't know why I like it, haha. I have a mixture of feminine and masculine traits, I don't think I have a very masculine identity despite my love for metal music. I like pretty clothes, bunnies, hairdressing, and nap time. How masculine is that?!

Like I said before, it would have to be the diversity of the genre. "Metal" is a blanket term which covers ground of so many different types of music. Doom, thrash, folk, death, black, prog - just to name a few. I like some better than others, but it's impossible for me to get bored of listening to metal.

Please answer in as much detail as you like and send your answers, that would be a big help thanks! :D

1) What got you into heavy metal and how did you first enter the scene? I just connected with the music...

2) How large a part does heavy metal figure in your life? not much at all I just like listening to it

3) How involved are you in the heavy metal scene- do you attend gigs and festivals regulary/participate in forums on the internet? i attend concerts atleast a couple times a year

4)How often do you consume heavy metal products, eg- band merch, cds do you collect these 0ften? I dont buy cds

5) Is your identity shaped by being a heavy metal fan- do you wear clothes on a daily basis which signify that you are a fan? my clothes represent me

6) Do you feel you are treated differently for dressing as a metal fan when you're not around other fans? sometimes, it depends, its mostly focused on my tattoos then my clothes

7) Do you feel you are treated differently for being female at gigs and festivals and do you see these spaces as predominantly male dominated or not? no

what do i likemost about the music....uhm....the music. the instruments the lyrics...
9) What do you feel about metal images/lryics which are perhaps considered sexist/ misogynistic? i could give a shit less

10) Do you feel you identify with male/female band members on stage? if so, how? i identify with the songs

i have played and own a guitar
i got really sweaty.
13) What do you feel about the idea that Heavy metal is said to be a very masculine genre of music?, How do you see your own identity as feminine/masculine? i think this question is dumb

14) What do you like about metal compared to other types of music?its not allabout bitches and rolling on dubs - it has depth

Listened to grunge as a child, moved onto nu metal around 12, went well with my growing angst.

It's one of the reasons I'm going to Europe. Also I've had the realisation I've never slept with anyone who could have been considered a jock in high school :(

Lots of gigs. I enjoy posting snarky replies on forums.

Has anyone made a joke about tuna yet i didn't read all the replies. I really want a Suicidal hat and I have heaps of dumb merch and one time I got so sunburt I could only wear really baggy clothes so we ripped the sleeves off some cheap white t shirts and wrote Slayer all over them.

Probably. I thinks someone is stealing off my clothesline if someone steals my Death shirt I will be completely crushed.

Not really. An old lady got upset with my Dead Kennedys shirt once. It was just the plan logo but those poor poor Kennedys.

Not treated differently than other places really. Metal shows are total sausage fests.

The terrifying lows, the dizzying heights, the creamy middles! It just sounds good aight.

Hilarious you red leather whore.

Many lead singers are my soulmates. One day we'll all get married.

High school bands, play guitar learning drums it's fun to smash things.

I saw Placebo on acid and OMG. Slayer was pretty awesome. Umm the last big concert I went to was Lady Gaga and I'm seeing Leonard Cohen soon rock on metal woo pokerface.

Same as most metal chicks; likes make up and cute baby kittens but also thinks blood knuckles is a serious sport.

A genre for every mood! One time I was listening to some power metal band so I scooted around on my chair pretending i was riding a dragon. Please don't tell anyone I know irl.

When i first heard an Ozzy song, Loyal fan for 7 years! I was brought up around rock so it's a natural place for me.

Very Big, IT IS MY LIFE!

I only been to One Concert; Ozzfest 2007. Parents don't believe in travel to get to them :erk:

Every so often a week.

Not everyday, But most likely i show it in some way.

Yeah, But i don't mind It's my style why should i hide it for others?

I most ceratinly do, I just feel like i'm being looked at as just a ''Groupie Whore''.

THE KICK ASS BANDS!! Most Deff.

I may be a woman, But i really don't care about sexist views, ''F$%^ it'', Thats how i am, i'm just in for the music.

10) Do you feel you identify with male/female band members on stage? if so, how? Yeah, The energy that they put into everything they do when they perform.

Nope, Guitar Hero count? ;)

The would Be Ozzfest 2007, I went just for the Ozz Man & it was BEYOND Amazing! I will never forget it.

13) What do you feel about the idea that Heavy metal is said to be a very masculine genre of music?, How do you see your own identity as feminine/masculine? I see myself as a pretty down to earth girl, Tomboy-ish, But i believe that is just sterotypical.

[/B]The Riffs,Background; Just all around greatness![/B]

Ok, I will answer even though it is June. haha

I don't remember entering a "scene." My babysitters used to play certain types of music and they would not let me listen to W.A.S.P. That was when I was 11. 12 became a search of why I couldn't listen to them. And on from there.

Daily life. And I've carried those values that came through osmosis into everyday society.

I travel and attend. I'd say at least 20 "BIG" bands or more per year and then of course, the lesser knowns as well, throughout.

Throughout the year, whatever strikes me. I buy all my albums, thank you. Probably at least 3 - 4 per month.

Eh. I work in the corporate world. Everyone thinks I'm goth. Ugh.On rare occaisson I may wear a metal shirt to work but rare. Mostly, dark clothes. Outside of work, I wear whatever the hell I want. Yup, mostly metal shirts, I think I have at least 60? at the moment. A lot collector's.

That is a guarantee. There is no escaping that. And what's it matter? Those people most likely are not interesting anyway.

Absolutley not. I can say that it feels weird being one of four girls at a tru death metal show. haha Not treated differently, no. I don't see why it has to be as predominantly male bc women have as much, if not more rage and anger and pure psychotic void as men do. It depends on the individual. You will know whether you belong there or not.

I don't know what I like most, it's just what I choose. Or has chosen me. Who knows!

Eh, I say, who cares. Women think the same thing. So what if men happen to say it or create the image? Women think the same thing of certain women and also think the same thing about certain men. So what? Women are not as vocal about their hatred for certain aspects or objectifying men (but we think it, lots!)...if they were, the world would end.

No, not really. I only think about myself, which is what they are doing, as well.

Yes, in high school. Yes, I play keyboards. It's metal sometimes, haha.

I haven't seen my favorite band live. I've seen my favorite vocalist live, though. And met him. And he was exactly like I thought. But also, saw a band I had listened to for years, Samael, and I thought I was gonna pass out but I didn't. Yay!

Yeah, it's more masculine bc men are more vocal when it comes to certain feelings or ideas. Women can feel just the same. Women want to rage and burn shit down, as well.

Anything can be made into metal. Even opera, obviously

Although I am not a female, but I just wanna clarify something, the 6th question depends on where you live, I'll tell you about our country,
Our society here is masculine, and it's ruled by religion that doesn't give girl's their own rights.
Being a metal head for a boy is hard to be accepted ? so what about a girl ? she won't get any respect from others, and she'll be accused of many stuff, not totally serious stuff but still she won't have a good impression inside some people's mind.

my first exposure to metal was watching cable television, when i was a kid my mom worked on pure commision, and worked her ass off to pay for cable, when MTV first came it was nothing but Slayer and Ramstien
not really that much actually, in addition to metal, i also listen to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathic_Records, which is definately NOT metal
i've attended some metal concerts but most of the concerts i go to are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathic_Records i've made it to 600 posts here on ultimatemetal.com but mostly my posts have so far been on the Philosopher forum
why would any one "collect" bend merch, i've got a few metal band shirts, a few CDs but not anything like what you would call a "collection"
no, i just realized that i don't actually wear any of my metal band shirts
i've been treated badly for wearing juggalo make up in front of people that thought i was wearing KISS make-up
i'm a guy, but i have seen huge numbers of females at metal concerts, about 1/3 of the audience being female, i'd say
i'll answer the other questions later

I assume you don't need these answers anymore, lol, but ill answer anyways :D
I grew up listening to 80's glam, then about 5 years ago, an ex made me go to a Blind Guardian concert... and a whole new world opened up to me ;-)

Pretty huge... i spend a majority of my free time enjoying the wonders of metal in one way or another.

I attend shows as often as possible, kinda go in waves with it though.

I don't buy products too often, mainly just at special shows.

Not on a daily basis, but once in a while... oh, unless you count pajamas... i always wear metal shirts to bed.

Not really... but depends on where i go.

Depending on the show, it often is more guys than girls, but i don't think i'm treated differently... it tends to just feel like one big happy metal loving community.

I find metal music to be more raw and passionate than any other form. It makes you feel something.

Growing up on glam and sleaze rock, there is an excess of sexist lyrics... i guess i don't really take those too seriously.

For me it depends more on the music and lyrical content for who i can identify with.

I've never been in a band, but i play guitar, keyboard and sing (not very good at any of them, but i do them! lol)

My fav band is Sonata Arctica, and i have had the pleasure of seeing them twice... its amazing seeing your favorite band... they are there, feet away from you, pouring their souls out on stage... can't get a better feeling than that.

I don't think it's masculine, i just think it is often aggressive and quite bad-ass, and people tend to think that girls can't be that way... but we can, we can be hard core and still be "girly"

Like i said earlier, it's more passionate...