female vocals in metal

CaGeD iN

Wandering on Ypres Rd.
i was just curious of everyones outlook on this, like do you like them or what,

heres my 2 cents, i like kittie a lot, wetwork, thetre of tragedy.

what i am not really fond of is when its just a female singing and they call it black metal, like from what i heard by warmen, what is everyone elses opinion, (im not saying guys do it better, and i dont mean to be sexist)

I think females in general just can't do what men do. They'll never have those extreme guttural vocals, and the only one that can really pull those off is Angela Gossow imo. Other female vocalists are ok. Nightwish and Lacuna Coil are meh in my book. Sometimes it can be a nice touch though like in Lord Belials Enter the Moonlight Gate or Behemoths Ceremony of Shiva, but otherwise nty.

I think females in general just can't do what mean do. They'll never have those extreme guttural vocals, and the only one that can really pull those off is Angela Gossow imo. Other female vocalists are ok. Nightwish and Lacuna Coil are meh in my book. Sometimes it can be a nice touch though like in Lord Belials Enter the Moonlight Gate or Behemoths Ceremony of Shiva, but otherwise nty.
Actually, regarding the death metal vocals, everyone should check out
Estuary (formerly Estuary of Calamity). Their singer, Zdenka Prado comes across as even more brutal than Gossow.

Check them out here:
http://www.myspace.com/estuary

Other great female singers with bite include the deceased Dawn Crosby of Detente & Fear of God. Check out some of her 1980's output with Detente here:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=114396848

And of course, let's not forget the (also deceased) throat of the mighty Wendy O. Williams of THe Plasmatics....
wendyowilliams.jpg

I think it all depends how its done. I'm generally not a fan of bands that have just normal clean singing all the time(without some rasp/scream element) in metal be it male or female, its cool to use sometimes here and there to accent a part, but personally I need some screaming/rasp parts to get me hooked.

I like seeing bands with female singers that can do the scream/rasp/metal voice like Wetwork, Undying, Walls Of Jericho. They help prove that metal screaming is not just an 'all boys club' :headbang:

Check out Shroud Of Bereavement. They have their male singer doing death grunt while the two girls sing beautifully.

myspace.com/shroudofbereavement

I dig all sorts of different things in metal, including female vocals. I'm not a huge fan of what Nightwish is doing recently, but it has nothing to do with the vocals. One great example (IMO) of female vocals in metal being done right are the song Midnight Sunrise by Turisas. Leaves' Eyes is another great example (IMO) of female vocals in metal done right.

generally I dont like female vocals. for example, I have no albums by female fronted bands.... but on a song or two I dont mind. like a guest appearance on an album or something. I can deal with that.

The song "Cloudbusting" by Novembre is good.

But female vocs dont really belong in metal, i prefer them in Trip-hop and other more mellow stuff.

I love female black metal vocals, they just have a distinct sound to them.
Arkona, Older OperaIX and Darkestrah (especially their new album "Epos") are three good examples.

they work in some songs, generally i dont like ALL female vocals in a metal band, though.

some of the best female vocals i've heard in metal are those in songs by agalloch and in the woods! check out the first song on in the woods' "omnio" album (i cant remember what its called atm).

I happen to find female vocals in metal to be very refreshing, as long as they work with the music. Lumsk is a very good example of using female vocals effectively. Not to mention, they are just a very solid band overall.

they work in some songs, generally i dont like ALL female vocals in a metal band, though.

some of the best female vocals i've heard in metal are those in songs by agalloch and in the woods! check out the first song on in the woods' "omnio" album (i cant remember what its called atm).

Agalloch's definitely my favourite band, but I'm honestly not a fan of the female operatic stuff on Pale Folklore at all. I know it works for some people, but clean female vocals mixed with heavy parts usually doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Ozma from Thorr's Hammer for the win.

Absolutely brutal. :worship: And easy on the eyes too. :saint:

http://www.myspace.com/thorrshammer for anyone keen to hear some ridiculously crushing doom.

I think females in general just can't do what mean do. They'll never have those extreme guttural vocals, and the only one that can really pull those off is Angela Gossow imo. Other female vocalists are ok. Nightwish and Lacuna Coil are meh in my book. Sometimes it can be a nice touch though like in Lord Belials Enter the Moonlight Gate or Behemoths Ceremony of Shiva, but otherwise nty.

It´s pretty obvious you´ve never heard Melissa from Adorior! She´ll growl your ass off!!!

Anywho, just listing a couple of the female voices I love:

Anneke Van Giersbergen (The Gathering)
Liv Kristine Espenæs ((old) Theatre Of Tragedy)
Kristin Fjellseth (Pale Forest)