Few questions about bass strings

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
I need a string set for my Brice 5 string bass from Rondo. The strings now are way too thin, and the low string is basically unusable. I think it's not so much the string guage that makes it unusable, but the fact that the low string is the type that is tapered, and the taper begins after the bridge contact point, so there is this awkward string length for about an inch before the string is fattest.

First things first, I am going to be using it in both Bb and drop Ab. What strings are you using for these tunings? I need it to be solid and not flubby, but I also don't want it to be so thick that it messes up the nut which is probably cheap anyway.

Second (this is the reason why I made a thread instead of just searching the hundreds of previous threads about bass strings) as mentioned the bridge is not string through, so the low string has to reach its thickest point to within 1/2" from the ball end... I am unsure of which string makes/sets do and do not fall under this category.

According to the rondo website, the strings on it now are .03 to .125

Thanks.

Just don't buy tapered sets and they'll fit. I play down 1/2 step and I use 45-135 prosteels.

Ok, cool. I am pretty new to bass, but it seems pretty fun. Am I dreaming this up, that the tapered string is the reason for the bad sound on the low string, and not the guage or action? All of the other strings which are not tapered have a gorgeous clear bell tone to them, but the low string has a strangeness to the attack that is not like the other strings. I have tried to adjust the action, but nothing greatly different happened.

Am I dreaming this up, that the tapered string is the reason for the bad sound on the low string, and not the guage or action? All of the other strings which are not tapered have a gorgeous clear bell tone to them, but the low string has a strangeness to the attack that is not like the other strings. I have tried to adjust the action, but nothing greatly different happened.

Bump foar question answerings? Sorry again for the dumb question.

I had this happen too, i dont know about the string taper being a problem but you will deefinatley need to have your nut filed by a proffessional to match a larger string guage (the wrong nut profile will make all kinds of problems from sounding dead to sounding different to all the other strings) also you will need to have the neck and bridge setup and intonation adjusted, so best thing is take the guitar to a reputable setup shop and get them to fit the new strings and do a full setup at the same time.