FG-X alternatives

The IK Stealth Limiter is brand new (only a few weeks old) and absolutely way better than their old one. Try the 14 day demo. It's pretty damn clean sounding at high GR. KClip is amazing, I like pushing it until main kick snare peaks are tamed and then go into FabL, AOM Invisible or the new IK Stealth for about -3db. Good balance on clip and limit and keeping it pretty transparent.

Are you guys usually putting kclip on drumbus , individual tracks , or mixbus. Or just using it on mastering stereo track. Cheers

KClip looks pretty good indeed but since I did not switch to PT11 yet, I have doubts that it is fully compatible and stable with shitty PT10. Plus ProL looks more comfortable to me.

I already have T-Racks limiter but I find it horrible actually in a mastering scenario :D

Edit - I must admit that I'm quite surprised that Ozone is not more recommanded here!

Ozone is usually my go-to. Still on v5, haven't bothered with v6. Pretty much always in IRC II mode, never liked what IRC III does.
I used Elephant for a while but it somehow fell out of favor. I have FG-X and I used that a lot for a while but it doesn't really do it for me. It does sound much better if you turn ITP towards "hard" but then you need to automate it a lot since it will start distorting on sustained parts. But yeah, Ozone gets most of the work.

I'm a bit intrigued with Pro-L now though, I've seen so much talk about it everywhere. Maybe it's time to finally check it out.

Well I used FG-X a lot for a while but lately have gone to K-clip, T-racks clipper, and/or the Massey L2007. I LOVE the fabfilter Pro-Q 2 so now I'm gonna have to demo their limiter after reading all this….

At least try KClip - it has more uses than just mastering but it fucking rules.

Pro-L would be my next suggestion; I use both in tandem when mastering.

I bought KClip recently. It kills!!! (and no problem with PT10 so far...) I was curious on your combination Jeff so I tried some stuff on one of my latest mixes and KClip seems to work better before ProL. Is that the same for you usually?

In all cases, KClip is a great tool and it's ridiculously cheap. Thanks Kazrog :kickass:

I bought KClip recently. It kills!!! (and no problem with PT10 so far...) I was curious on your combination Jeff so I tried some stuff on one of my latest mixes and KClip seems to work better before ProL. Is that the same for you usually?

In all cases, KClip is a great tool and it's ridiculously cheap. Thanks Kazrog :kickass:

Always happy to hear feedback like this! Thank you!

PS - there's a sale running this month if anyone is interested in KClip. :cool:

Always happy to hear feedback like this! Thank you!

PS - there's a sale running this month if anyone is interested in KClip. :cool:

Thanks a lot for the heads up, I couldn't resist so I bought it even though I've been trying not to buy plugins at all lately... :lol: I liked the demo a lot when I tried it a while back so I'm pretty sure I won't regret my decision, especially for that price.

EDIT: I just replaced the limiter plugin I've been using previously in my mixes (TB Barricade CM) with the KClip and the mix I've been working on lately sounds MUCH better now, it's so much more transparent sounding than any limiter/clipper/maximizer/music destroying device I've ever tried. Go and try it if you haven't already! I've been lately trying make my mixes tos ound as good as possible without caring about the infamous "LOUDNESS WAR" and I think this plugin is really good for adding just a little loudness when needed, it probably works great when shooting for really loud mixes but I'm not really into that, but sometimes you've gotta do that just to satisfy your clients and I get that.

That's how I personally use it alongside Pro-L, yeah. I've also used it with 2 instances of KClip rather than 1 of each - that might be worth trying out too!

That's how I personally use it alongside Pro-L, yeah. I've also used it with 2 instances of KClip rather than 1 of each - that might be worth trying out too!

Yeah I tried 2 instances of KClip but it just did not fit as good as ProL in second in this particular mix. Totally matter of context for sure. FG-X is good but I found more difficult to achieve a pleasing result and - in my case - constant bugs make it too picky to use.

I'm loving KClip on snare, but still prefer FG-X or Pro-L on mixbuss. The clipper in The Glue (with max oversampling on mixdown) can sound very pleasing as well.