Final Mix

GearMan2point0

Musician/Engineer
Feb 13, 2011
Hey guys,
This is my final mix practice until I am starting the second part of my Recording Career. I have updated my gear and my technique. Tell me what you guys think!
I wrote the song, it is just something I threw together quickly. Real drums, recorded with SM57's, replaced Kick, mixed snare, and Dorsia Toms.

Need feedback please

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19450618/.mp3

there seems to be little tightness to everything... it sounds good.

- kick is flubby
- drums (altogether, sound artificial)
- compression is making the cymbals seem un-natural
- the guitars are a bit strange, they appear to have a weird squawk (undesired) which intern makes them sound artificial as well
- edit out the fret noise, it's sloppy and distracting to the tempo of the song
- apply some sort of groove template to the whole song... it sounds too rushed (on the grid)

there are ways to fix most of this with editing but as far as mixing goes, it's pretty good. but there is nothing (overall) unique about the performance. like i have been saying, it's somewhat a joey inspired production but it has so many flaws that the production is perilous at it's inception.

Rad stuff dude! Guitars need more air (boost some 8K through a SSL)
Cymbals def sound washy (sounds like mainly the Parallel buss coming trough)
China Sits alright with me though.
Kick just needs a little more Click and maybe up 1 or 2 db!

Not bad though man ;p

Only three toms. Wow, bad reviews lol. Didn't expect that, but it's a good thing though. I need to get this right.

As far as the playing, I already said I threw it together quickly. It took me forever to get the drums on time. I just wanted to get everything mixed well, not the playing. I know very well of the sloppyness. =P I will keep workign on it though. Thanks a bunch guys

Music-wise...To be honest, I think it is Sick!!
but production wise...I can't really be a big help...Im listening through Laptop speaker :/

EDIT:
What tom set did you use if I may ask?

yeah, I know...I have a way of ignoring bad playing just to get tone and proper dynamics Frequency wise down. I still yet have figured out how to get rid of the fret noise. The squeakness. I put more room bleed on it, it made it sound more real again.

thanks guys, I should have an update soon

Sounds pretty good.
My only problem would be the vocals sounding too dry
You can try sending them to track with reverb and another track with delay.

EDIT: can you please share how you did that distorted vocal effect at the very end?

I used GClip, nice little handy tool, I don't like adding distortion so I just clip the vocals to make it that way. I have no verb on it....I should try that, I was really digging the dry though. thanks for the response man!

Hey man. I think you're doing good!

just gotta get rid of the guitar noise. that comes in at editing.
there are a couple elements I'm not stoked about. but those elements are kinda up to the person listening, ya know?

the only thing I'd suggest is start working on your mastering skills. I just wanna hear more life in the track

Does anyone know where I can find some handy mastering tips I could follow? I need to bring more energy into it, but I haven't found a way. I thought EQing the master bus to sparkle but it doesn't really make it have more energy!