Finally 64bit?

AboutBlank

Nov 27, 2009
Berlin, Germany
I'm planning to buy a SSD for my OS.

Haven't made the change to W7 and wouldlike to combine it.
Now I'm a little afraid to install C5 in 64 mode. Tryed it once(1 year ago) and it was buggy as hell.

Should I set up W7 64 and Cubase 32bit?
A big problem is maybe UAD, I run a PCIe 1 + 2, don't know if they've worked on 64 bit compatibility at all...

I don't wanna install everything twice, cause it takes it's time. And sadly everytime longer as expected.

btw, bought jbridge a while ago.

The main question:
Is W7 64 + C5 64 really stable and worth a try?

I'm planning to buy a SSD for my OS.

Haven't made the change to W7 and wouldlike to combine it.
Now I'm a little afraid to install C5 in 64 mode. Tryed it once(1 year ago) and it was buggy as hell.

Should I set up W7 64 and Cubase 32bit?
A big problem is maybe UAD, I run a PCIe 1 + 2, don't know if they've worked on 64 bit compatibility at all...

I don't wanna install everything twice, cause it takes it's time. And sadly everytime longer as expected.

btw, bought jbridge a while ago.

The main question:
Is W7 64 + C5 64 really stable and worth a try?

The main answer:
No it isn´t. I tested it thoroughly and it crashes all the time... Don´t know about Cubase 6, because I went back to 32-bit Cubase on 64-bit Win7. I used jbridge too and it helps a lot, but its still very buggy and crashes a lot.

I'm running Studio One 64bit, Win7 64bit. With JBridge too. No problems here. The vast majority of my plugins are 64bit, but the ones that aren't I have no problems with.

Chris, is the 64/32 route safe, is your system stable?

I don't know but it seems that I just wait and install a 32 bit Cubase version.
I don't wanna change from a pretty stable system to a bug nightmare...

Chris, is the 64/32 route safe, is your system stable?

I don't know but it seems that I just wait and install a 32 bit Cubase version.
I don't wanna change from a pretty stable system to a bug nightmare...

Yeah 32-bit cubase 5/6 runs extremely stable on my 64-bit system. And it´s fast... I´m pretty happy with it and I´d highly recommend it in your case.

Easiest way to transfer an already build HD to another is Ghost. I always ghost my OS drive once when built before installing any other software and then a second one after I get the base DAW and VST's installed. You can always revert in case a new install/driver hoses the system.

the only problem i am having with win7 and cubase
5 in 64 bit are shitty programed plugins that do not work.
make sure that the plugins you se are available in a 64 bit
version and you should be fine.

cheers
S.

Thx sprack, I will take a closer look at it when I'm going to install.

Imo UAD is not 64bit ready and thats def a fucking reason to stick with 32 atm.

Windows 7 64 bit user, with Cubase 5 32 bit, sofar it`s solid, no problem at all, a couple of VST plugins don`t show up:) but that`s it, i have to try jBridge.
Are there any other alternatives to jBridge?

As a developer, here's my take...

The 64 bit transition has about another year to go (in the audio space) before it's going to be really viable in a pro studio DAW setting. If you want to be on the bleeding edge, and are willing to pay big a price in stability for what amounts to a moderate performance boost (in most cases) then go for it.

Running a 64 bit DAW full time in Windows 7 or Mac OS X Snow Leopard isn't viable unless you're running only the plugins that ship with the DAW, or known stable 64 bit builds of third party plugins. If you need to run ANY 32 bit plugins, you need to be running a 32 bit DAW. Bridging just isn't efficient or stable whatsoever.

Thankfully, running a 32 bit DAW in a 64 bit OS is extremely stable, and you can have concurrent installs of 32 and 64 bit builds of your DAW to ease the transition.

So, I've installed W7 in 64 and C5 in 32 and have the following problem:

The CPU load is much much higher than in XP, in fact it spikes like hell in projects where XP was stable and maybe at 50% CPU load.

Anyone solved this problem?

My intention was a more powerful system(with the new SSD) and I lost soo much performance...

Guys...

Certain hosts have shitty bridges. This is the problem. Bridging as a technology isn't flunky at all. It's down to the plugin and the host, and how well they cope with their memory management systems. Certain plugins are working great on my setup - my IK Multimedia stuff, FXpansion BFD2, Geist, and Synth Squad, and Camel Audio Alchemy... all work great. The freebies from TSE and LePou are prone to crashing, so I've stopped using them for the most part.

Here is a list of 64bit plugins.

It just depends what you're after I guess, but I'm comfortably running a 64bit OS.

Basically, if you're running PT or Cubase, you're not going to have a fun time using a 64bit setup at the moment. Too buggy and crashy. If you're running Reaper, Sonar or Studio One, you'll be fine. As they're generally less crashy in my experience.

If you're running and basing a lot of your production on Waves plugins, you're screwed too. Best to stay on 32bit.

But personally I don't think Waves deserve the crown that they once did. Most DAW's internal plugins are very good nowadays.

Just my opinion. But I've not ever had as stable and capable a setup as I currently do with 64bit Win7 and 64bit Studio One.

So, I've installed W7 in 64 and C5 in 32 and have the following problem:

The CPU load is much much higher than in XP, in fact it spikes like hell in projects where XP was stable and maybe at 50% CPU load.

Anyone solved this problem?

My intention was a more powerful system(with the new SSD) and I lost soo much performance...

How are you measuring this? What plugins are you using? Are you able to make a comparison with a standalone plugin? I'm immediately suspecting Cubase.

Hate hate hate!!!

Yeah, I'm considering to make the switch back to XP today, dunno, it is asscrapfuckingsausage...

(Btw, just my OS is 64, everything is 32(waves, C5, all the other plugs).)

Edit:

I just openend a project which I openend the last time with XP.
XP was a stable CPU load in the 50-55% area(cubase meter) while W7 is constantly peaking in the red area.

I've read smthg about disabling the hyperthreading in cubase/bios. I will try that first.

I use Waves SSL 4000; Musician 2; UAD, thats pretty much it.

damn, I'm about to build myself a new Computer System and wanted to go for windows 7 64 bits too, Maybe it's not the right decision :S.I'm working on Xp right now. Keep us informed If you know how to fix this.