Win7 64 bit playback issues

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
I know alot of you guys are running win7 64 bit and I just got it up and running yesterday. Im using Cubase 5 32bit but on a project which was perfectly stable with quite alot of plugins running on Vista im getting alot of stuttering and general bad playback.

I had to do that 3GB switch with Vista + Cubase previously, but I don't know if there is a similar deal for win 7? Anybody else having similar issues?

I had almost the exact same issue a while back. I don't know if it will help you or not but I narrowed my issue down to a single instance of Lepou's 456 plugin. I downloaded and installed a newer version of the plug in and replaced that instance of it and everything worked fine. I'm not saying it was specifically that particular plugin but something went weird after upgrading. It will take a while but you may try individually turning off each plugin, one at a time to see if your issue gets resolved. Other than that, I haven't had any issues. Good luck, man.

Thanks man, ive taken off that plugin off my list completely and its still doing it however.....what I have noticed is that when it does crap out its not only Cubase' playback that sounds like ive got the buffer on the Profire too low but everything I play afterwards, be it windows media player or just general windows sounds.

All of its "slowed down" and distorted....hopefully that might give a better insight into what might be wrong.

Right.... I bet you ten dog dicks that when those spikes happen, is when your sound goes all fucked up. It happens to me whenever I use wireless internet on my machine. I solved it by getting rid of my wireless card, and plugging my ethernet into a Netgear universal wifi adapter.

It could also be your motherboard. I know some Gigabyte motherboards suffer from an issue, and a firmware upgrade fixed it. That was a while back though, and was widely reported on the Sonar forums. I don't know if it is still an issue.

Update your video chard driver. My win 64 install tanked when hard with a bad video driver. It would do that all the time.

Double check any running programs, torrents kill CPU really fast.

have you done the WIN 7 Audio Recording optimizations?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/395036-optimizing-windows-7-daw-audio.html

This is also a big one: Disable Win 7 Core Parking:
- go to REGEDIT
- Search and Find this key [ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 ] without the " [ ] "
- alternately, you can search and find the phrase " Core Parking " - again without the " "
- either of the above searchs works and delivers the exact same results
- delete the key(s)
- make sure you search the whole Registry - you should find it [ from memory ] 6 times but will only be able to delete [ from memory ] the first 2 or 3 instances - dont worry about the ones you cant delete - just delete all the ones you can
- exit the Registy
- Shutdown Win7
- Do a full cold shutdown and re-boot

BEFORE DELETING!! Right click each one and export it, so you can always GO BACK later on.

have you dont the WIN 7 Audio Recording optimizations?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/395036-optimizing-windows-7-daw-audio.html

This is also a big one: Disable Win 7 Core Parking:
- go to REGEDIT
- Search and Find this key [ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 ] without the " [ ] "
- alternately, you can search and find the phrase " Core Parking " - again without the " "
- either of the above searchs works and delivers the exact same results
- delete the key(s)
- make sure you search the whole Registry - you should find it [ from memory ] 6 times but will only be able to delete [ from memory ] the first 2 or 3 instances - dont worry about the ones you cant delete - just delete all the ones you can
- exit the Registy
- Shutdown Win7
- Do a full cold shutdown and re-boot

Good man, thats the kinda stuff I have been searching for, will give that a shot :kickass:

And yeah, got the latest drivers for the Profire & the systems clean as far as background programs.

There is a "feature" in windows 7 where to optimize power consumption it randomly turns off anywhere from 1 to 3 cores at a time if they haven't been used for a few minutes. The spikes you are seeing is Windows reinitializing those cores when it needs to. By turning off Core Parking you are running a balanced load across all cores all the time. Its just more stable for the DAW.

On my system I turn it on and off at random when I am doing different things. I wrote 2 batch files that remove and re-add the registry entries noted above. When I am recording its off. When I am browsing the web / listning to music its on.