Finally, tape style editing in reaper....

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
When i first thought about this feature I assumed that it would just that the item behind would simply be hidden and wouldn't play, i.e. WYSIWYG

but they seem to have implemented it with trimming instead, meaning that if you slightly overshoot then you have to either undo and start again, or manually resize to fill the gap........

Is it just me or have the reaper guys misunderstood slightly?

The other way would have been a LOT of underthe hood rework. This way works just like no overlap mode in Logic or like the default mode in Pro Tools. Would drive me crazy if it didn't actually trim, this way I can use it to actually chop stuff.

I was one of two really aggressive beta testers for this release, I think at the end of the day we got the behavior nailed.

Can you post a screenshot or something explaining the problem you are having by overshooting things and leaving gaps...? I can't understand what the problem is. What DAW were you using before Reaper and how did it do this sort of thing?

If i understood you right, you want to enable Options>Trim content behind media items when recording. ¿?

I´ve searched a long time for this and it was my biggest problem with reaper.

The other way would have been a LOT of underthe hood rework. This way works just like no overlap mode in Logic or like the default mode in Pro Tools. Would drive me crazy if it didn't actually trim, this way I can use it to actually chop stuff.

I was one of two really aggressive beta testers for this release, I think at the end of the day we got the behavior nailed.

Can you post a screenshot or something explaining the problem you are having by overshooting things and leaving gaps...? I can't understand what the problem is. What DAW were you using before Reaper and how did it do this sort of thing?

I've been Reaper from the beginning

All i mean by overshoot is if i'm moving an item back to overlap the end of another item and i place it a little too far back, i can't just grab it and shift it a bit forward as the region underneath has been trimmed. It's just not the behaviour i expected, i'm sure i'll find efficient ways of working around it.