Finally went legit! And it feels goooooooood!

xchrisloungex

Nov 9, 2006
MANCHESTER, UK
Hey Guys,

As I type this even I am slightly confused as to why I feel the need to but I'm gonna go ahead and do it anyway.....

So, First things first. I've been lurking with few posts for a long time as I've never felt that I have much worth contributing but the info I have received has been priceless. Over this time I have learnt of the huge distain for people who download their DAW's and plugs. However, I have been guilty of this even though I completely agreed with the people dishing out the beatdowns to people who do so. I've downloaded various Daw's and all the big boy plugs you can name even though (and I'm not scared to admit it) I didn't have the first clue how to use them the way they were designed to be used, running before I could walk so to say.

Then something changed, my priorities changed, my dedication to music over the years has been the driving force in my life and while I was using cracked software I felt like I was almost cheapening the thing that meant the most to me and this had to change.

So now I'm completely legit. Over the past 2 months I've bought the full Cubase 5, Superior drummer 1 + 2.0, Revalver MK III, Steven Slate samples and a 57 and mini boom so I can finally explore the mythical art of micing a real cab for the first time in my life.

So now I'm off to learn the standard plugs from cubase, figure out aptrigga instead of my cracked drumagog and try to coax a half decent tone out of the 6505/Uberkab combo sitting in my room.

Like I say, I'm not totally sure why I feel the need to do this but I guess I feel so much better for being on the straight and narrow I just had to tell somebody, ANYBODY!!!!! ha,

I hope that if someone who is in the mindset that i was a few months back and is wondering whether to make the jump to legit, that reading this and knowing how good it makes you feel to look over to all your software boxes knowing you;re the better person for it then this ramble was well worth it.

I just hope my wrong-doing past can be not held against me and I will be accepted as someone who is willing to learn from the pros and the people who are on a level I could only wish to be at in a few years.

Cheers for reading guys.

Chris

Well when I was starting out I was downloading plugs too, and was using a cracked FL Studio. I've been 100% legit for a fair amount of time now, and it feels great.

Now whenever I purchase plugins online and download them (last time I did this was the 4x1 offer by IK Multimedia) I kind of feel like I'm back doing something illegal, if I don't get the physical boxes lying around. It's kind of a curse that came with it I guess, but I had it coming.

why would anyone not be able to?
just don't use cracked plugs = legit

really easy, everyone can do that

But for some people, if they don't download cracked shit, they can't do any recording... I admit that everything I used to use was cracked straight from Pirate Bay, but since coming to this website, I have realised how much better the free amp sim's like Solo C, 7170 and TSE X30 are than shit like Guitar Rig, they crush Guitar Rig! Now all the software I use is free, all my amm sims, impulses, and all the effects I use are all free.

they can dl reaper which costs next to nothing for the license...and then like you said, dl all the free plugs,sims,impulses etc...and bam they can now record....explain how its "impossible to record" without downloading cracked shit?

I'm not saying that its impossible to record without downloading cracked stuff, what I meant was that a lot of complete noob's will just go straight to pirate bay or filestube instead of even trying out the free shit,this is what I did, and I ignored the free stuff, but I realise how fucking stupid I was then. But a lot of people will ignore free stuff because it is free, normally free stuff is crap.

since coming to this website, I have realised how much better the free amp sim's like Solo C, 7170 and TSE X30 are than shit like Guitar Rig, they crush Guitar Rig! Now all the software I use is free, all my amm sims, impulses, and all the effects I use are all free.

The only good thing in Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Revalver, Podfarm, TH1 and other commercial products vs SoloC, 7170, TSE X30, ABG stuff etc is that the commercial ampsims are finished, versatile, easy to use plug'n'play products working on multiple operating systems and different platforms (vst, au, rtas...) with plenty of different presets, and they usually even have techsupport in case would you need it.

With the free plugins, they are usually restricted to Windows VST (the only free AU ampsims I know are MDA Combo and Studio Devil BVC, but please do correct me if I'm wrong) and might not have more than the initial preset. And with all the plugins you mentioned need quite a bit of extra plugins to work properly, because they are just preamps (you first need a cabinet impulse, plus if you need any other effects like modulation, distortion, wah, delay, reverb...), and many people don't want to go thru the hassle of figuring the stuff out and downloading 100 plugins even if they sound better, if the second option is to spend 200-300€ to use 1 plugin that works instantly, load a tentative preset that is "almost there" and then tweak it just a bit until it is there.

Then something changed, my priorities changed, my dedication to music over the years has been the driving force in my life and while I was using cracked software I felt like I was almost cheapening the thing that meant the most to me and this had to change.

So now I'm completely legit. Over the past 2 months I've bought the full Cubase 5, Superior drummer 1 + 2.0, Revalver MK III, Steven Slate samples and a 57 and mini boom so I can finally explore the mythical art of micing a real cab for the first time in my life.

Good for you!

I went through pretty much the same thing, woke up one day and decided "fuck this chump shit, im going legit".

now when i get a new plugin i get really excited, like a kid in a toy store :)