Financing from Musicians Friend

jesus69lol

Apr 13, 2007
Has anyone financed anything from Musicians Friend here? I'm just curious about any details like minimum monthly payment etc, their website seems to be very lacking in specific details. Any good/bad experiences?

i did that ONCE. minimum payment is about 30 bucks per $1000..at that rate it should take about 15 years to pay it off. if you can try to get another credit card MF's Rates are pretty high.

i never tried it, but i have used other services such as bill me later options and american musical supply's ez pay option, but bill me later options are usually easier to get than credit cards, but i just ignore musicians friend in general, had quite of few mishaps and stupid mistakes that i do business elsewhere.

but i like payment options i always want to get something but i never seem to save enough money at the right time.

It's better to get a visa or mastercard with a better rate. I think the APR on that card is upwards of 20%.

In other words: not that good.

Yeah...I think that is a good general rule for pretty much all retailer credit cards. You can get 0% intros all over the place so it usually makes more sense to go straight to the real lender (B of A, capitalone, etc.). Always read the fine print....the US economy is built on aggressive/predatory lending so educate yourself and don't charge too deep.

It's better to get a visa or mastercard with a better rate. I think the APR on that card is upwards of 20%.

In other words: not that good.

I only got my first credit card this past August (straight from Chase, with whom I have my checking account), and my APR is still 22% :cry: I can only hope it doesn't take too long to establish a decent credit score to knock that sucker down.

The bank who issues the Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter, Music123 cards is HSBC. They are fucking horrible to deal with.

Honestly, my first big purchase before I got a credit card I went to my credit union and got approved for a signature loan for $1,500 and got my Ampeg SVT4-PRO and 8x10 and just used Western Union to send the funds. The interest rate on the signature loan was almost nothing and I was able to pay it off way quick.

Also, HSBC really looks for GOOD credit to approve the inhouse credit cards. Most of the time people are declined.

I've used various HSBC cards before (Macy's, Guitar Center) and currently have a Musician's Friend card. Anything I spend over $400 is no payment, no interest for 12 months. I just make sure to spend over that, and then pay off using monthly payments that will have me pay everything off before interest accrues. I love same-as-cash offers like this. It makes it easier for me to afford more expensive gear than if I were to go into my local music shop and buy one.

I have a guitar center card and musicians friend card. I did it for the no payments for 1 year deal. Also I wouldnt have been able to get my gear any other way at the time. Just make sure you make all payments on time. I have a couple late payments and there is a 40 dollar late fee. I didn't even go over the grace period either.

i applied for the mf card a few weeks ago had to call hbsc to raise my limit a lil, i ordered an ibanez rga121, it came in quick. Im glad they do 12 months same as cash. Just like any other similar deal its great if you pay it off before the interest hits.:headbang:

A few things the guy at the counter doesn't know and should tell you at GC are as follows:

1. Everytime you apply for a card, a credit check is done, this drops your credit score, if it doesn't go through, don't try to approve it again.
2. If you use a P.O. Box, 99.99999% of the time, IT WILL NOT GO THROUGH.
3. The interest rate is probably the worst in the country and that's how they make so much money off of you with a low sticker price. You may be getting a deal, but interest is like 30% price increase, it's like paying Retail + 10.

4. You have to give a total stranger your SS number...do you really want some stranger taking your SS number to the back of the store or saying over the phone?

DON'T GET THE CARD...

A few things the guy at the counter doesn't know and should tell you at GC are as follows:

1. Everytime you apply for a card, a credit check is done, this drops your credit score, if it doesn't go through, don't try to approve it again.
2. If you use a P.O. Box, 99.99999% of the time, IT WILL NOT GO THROUGH.
3. The interest rate is probably the worst in the country and that's how they make so much money off of you with a low sticker price. You may be getting a deal, but interest is like 30% price increase, it's like paying Retail + 10.

4. You have to give a total stranger your SS number...do you really want some stranger taking your SS number to the back of the store or saying over the phone?

DON'T GET THE CARD...
It drops your credit score to check it?

I'd say it's a great deal if you can pay it off before the no interest period ends.

I understand the sentiment here but the reality is every creditor, school, employer, mortgage broker, government agency, bank, cable company, cell phone provider and utility company already has your SS# on a computer accessible to 10s/100s/1000s of employees. This just isn't that big of a risk in the scheme of things. It's like sanitizing your hands while fucking a crack whore w/o a condom.