Finding a producer when none are local?

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
My band is about to finish writing for our first album, and we have a game plan for recording (studio for drums/vox, DI for guitar/bass for reamp - outsource mix/master) but checking around the local studios here in Salt Lake City, there isn't anyone who really produces modern metal. Our style is a mix of stuff like Darkest Hour/Lamb of God/Deftones/As I Lay Dying so we want to go for modern production which I know thru outsourced mix and mastering engineers can be done easily via web and people who already have that type of skillset for production.

My question, does anyone have experience with working with someone in a producing role remotely when someone isn't available locally? I know the mix and master will be a majority of getting the sound we want, but I think we'd be missing that benefit of a producer to know the songs, give ideas on how to strengthen them etc even before we record. The metal vibe here in Utah is much more organic/raw think Kurt Ballou, Steve Evetts and stuff of the posthardcore/rock vein. Just looking for stories of experiences, tips, suggestions on remote producing from either side.

Do you have ability to make something like demo sketch-up? That you can send to the guy and he can at least take full picture and slice it up and experiment.

We always do it the production side with exchanging demo-project files, so we can alter all the tracks seperately to do arranging, try out things, come up with other transitions etc. and send it back to the artist. Also midi drums are kind of mandatory for that stage, because you can change parts faster that way. Also having all the guitars DI-Based helps, because I like to show the bands what I mean when I come up with a change.

And if you're still looking for someone, don't hesitate to hit us up:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTeogPYhb__J2OPO9GO57Z0P_ic1JLmvU

I think waiting for the mix to get the right sound is pretty risky. The best mixes (IMO of course) turn out the way they do because the sounds have been added cohesively during tracking. It's pretty hard to layer things up in the same way by the time it gets to the mix. Sure it happens a lot but I'd say if you can get it tracked sounding exactly the way you want, it'll be impossible to mess the mix up (and the mix engineer will be able to push things further as a result).