Fireface 400 or Duende?

fistula

Producer/Mixing Engineer
Jul 18, 2006
Hi guys - i'll record my band soon - i have money to upgrade my studio...

we'll be recording drums at prof studio - and guitars (w/ impulses), vox at home.

so i got question - what to buy? i have edirol fa-66 card and usually use pre from this card... i think that fireface 400 should have better adda converters and mic pres

but in other way Duende has a really nice comp - for master buss... and a nice channel strip

any ideas? i have money for only 1 thing)

Not familiar wit that Edirol card but if there's a substantial improvement between the two I'd go for the Fireface over the Duende as there's no plugins that will make poorly recorded crap sound good, but on the other hand good sounding source tracks will still sound good with cheaper (or free) plugins than the Duende.

Focus on getting the best sounding source into your DAW first, before worrying about what plugins to use.

IMO the fireface is the way to go, although it really depends on what you're after. If it's a good interface the fireface is the way to go. If you want to be able to run a lot of high quality plugins the duende is the way to go.

So I'm with sparkyness here:
Get the Fireface

If you were in my shoes: Get the Duende, since I already have the fireface :)

hahah))
what i need from fireface is a highend ad/da convertion and clean pre - is there anything like that in fireface?

hahah))
what i need from fireface is a highend ad/da convertion and clean pre - is there anything like that in fireface?
That's what the Fireface 400 is especially known for ;) Plus very stable drivers with frequent and hassle-free updates for both the firmware and the drivers themselves.