Firepod and M-Audio Firewire 410 recording issue

Jul 16, 2007
If I have these two devices plugged in, Cubase won't get a signal from either, regardless of which one is set to the master ASIO driver.

I want to use the SPDIF out on the 410 to get the extra stereo in on the Firepod. I don't know if this is a software limitation or some kind of bug, but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a workaround.

One more thing: The Firewire 410's software mixer meters light up when I plug in microphones. The Firepod's control panel doesn't have any mixing capabilities to tell, but I can hear all of my inputs out of my control room monitors, and I have the blue sync light like everything is working ok.

Like I said, Cubase will get a signal from both just fine when it's the only thing plugged in.

so are you plugging the 410 into the spdif in, then firewire of the firepod to the computer?
It should work when you've the firepod as your selected drivers/interface and then just record enable the spdif in's on the channels you're using it on

I've not tried it but it should work fine- i do know that the spdif is disabled if you're using more than 1 firepod.

well the thing is, the firewire 410 won't work standalone, because it has a software mixer for routing output. I have to have the 410 plugged in to my PC as well.

I also tried a novel idea of chaining the firepod to the 410 because both have two firewire ports on the back. that just BSODs the machine.

GuitarGodGT mentioned that he uses a Toneport UX2 as his SPDIF outputs. I'm wondering if I have to set up the wordclock or something. I really have no idea how that works.

I got it half working:

I had to set the firepod clock source to S/PDIF. Now cubase can see input from the firepod. Also, I can LINE Output from the 410 Into a line in on the Firepod and direct monitor that, as well as record that into Cubase.

However:

I can't record SPDIF in the Firepod for some reason. I can see the SPDIF LED light up on the 410 when I speak in the mic, but when I arm the SPDIF track in Cubase and record, I don't get anything.

I feel like I'm so close!

Please offer suggestions!!!

I figured it out! instead of plugging in both the SPDIF in and outs on both units I just plugged the out on the 410 into the In on the Firepod, and presto!

Having both of them must have created some issue.

I'm so excited!