first buy

Malis

Silence is Golden
Sep 11, 2002
UK
Visit site
Hey , i don't know any Opeth, but i've heard such great things about them....... that i must buy an alubm :)
i dl Forest of October and Face of Melinda, both of which are awesome...
but which album would you recommend as a first buy?

oh and i know that this has probably been asked in 100 threads, but the search thingy didnt seem to work.. so plz dont flame me!
;)

I'll second the pretty much anything....personally it depends on what sound you might like more first. Initially I would say MAYH for the heaviness, but Still Life would prolly be a good start overall.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong, they have 6 amazing albums out. As a personal favorite though, I'd have to say Still Life, if you kind find it.

Sorry to disagree with all of you, and especially since I am so new here, and as much as I respect all of your opinons because, lets face it, you are OPETH fans! LOL

However, I must disagree. I had never heard of this band before. And I was just getting into this type of music, and cultivating my taste. Along the way a good and trusted friend of mine suggested Morningrise as my first OPETH record to get. Sooooo.... I went out and got it! And I must tell you, Morningrise is an excellent introduction to OPETH. Each track is very special, and then you can go get the ones before, and then the ones after. I am not really sure if Morningrise is a mid point record, but it aint the earliest, and it aint the last. SO, IMHO, I suggest Morningrise as your first. Then get all the others that the peeps here have suggested. No matter what, you will not be disappointed with anything you get of theirs. I am a little biased though. There is not a thing that I have heard of OPETH's yet that I have not liked, even a little bit.

Peace,
IS

I am going to have to agree with intangible soul on this one even though I got blackwater park as my first Opeth album. After purchasing all of them though Morningrise did become my favorite. The others are not far behind though. I mean every album they have made in my opinion is absolutely worth every penny. I even paid almost 20 each for Orchid and Morningrise caues they are hard to find here for some reason but still I don't regret it. I tend to recommend Blackwater Park to people who are new to Opeth but if they hear Morningrise in my car then they like that a lot too, just get them all!! Just max the your credit card out or something, it's worth it.

I got introduced with Morningrise also. That works. Still Life also would very well, I imagine. BWP too. Or Deliverance.