First Full Mix (Djent)

xBOBxSAGETx

Jan 18, 2010
I'm using a crappy computer :/

DAW:Reaper
Hardware:pOD UX2
Software:pOD Farm2, Recabinet3, Superior Drummer2.0 (Avatar)

This is my very first full mix. I'm happy with it I spent a lot of time on it but I know for a fact that this isn't the best it could be, so if people would be kind enough to pick this mix apart, please just be BLUNT, I want to try and make this the best quality I can possibly make it with the tools that I have available to me!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9875484/Song 2 Attempt 3 Mix 7.8 (No Lead).mp3

Hey man I'll give you some feedback.

As far as djent goes it's pretty good. Definitely have that smacky kick and snare vibe going on. Bass is pretty heavy too.

Kick is really plastic though to me and kind of sitting on top of everything. Guitars are also kind of scooped and overgained/fizzy I think for djent. You want more of that snappy 2K punch + throaty low-gain. I'm assuming you're using the Big Bottom POD setting? That's the djentmania setting (or so I hear?)...

Good job though for your first full mix. Keep it up!

Sweet dude thank you for the kind words greatly appreciated! I'll mess with the EQ on the rhythm tracks and the kick! Yes I am using the Big Bottom lol but Recabinet gives it a whole different tone. I'll ease up on the Mids lol I was told to add more because it was too treblely lol

Reminds me a lot of the Obzen sound. Very nice.

Wow I take that as a huge compliment bro!! Thanks a lot for the positive feedback. From what a lot of people tell me people on the "Andy Sneap Forum" are dicks! I haven't seen anyone really be a dick in here yet. I think they're just haters!!!

Wow I take that as a huge compliment bro!! Thanks a lot for the positive feedback. From what a lot of people tell me people on the "Andy Sneap Forum" are dicks! I haven't seen anyone really be a dick in here yet. I think they're just haters!!!

Oh, we are all dicks, but not regarding our behaviour. We just all look like penises in real life.

Hahaha that's really funny about my guitars being from the Metallica pack! I think it's just Recabinet3 making my guitar sound so damn processed. I think I'm gonna go back to the Recabinet2 impulses.

A lot needs to be done here:

Kick drum has very little punch, but is super splatty.

The snare is ticky and needs a lot more body.

The guitars need to come up a lot. The lead guitars need a LP, because they are REALLY piercing.

Start there.

The guitars are too lo-passed and I think they need to come up in the mix. The kick is pretty loud.

My guitar just seems to be lacking so much. When I'm just playing guitar it sounds sick but then in the full mix it's diminishes!!! So frustrating

The one in post 16 sounds better than the new one. The newer one's guitars sound quieter and scooped.

The one in post 16, while it is better, lacks presence. Particularly in the guitars and snare.