First Full Mix (Djent)

well, you know how to balace a mix...... but theres a problem, compared to commercial recordings your balance is wimpy.

youve got no beef in your recordings. clear off all your plugins and set your track effects to normal. leave that bass in on all your tracks in there. thats whats making your guitar sound like a pussy. plus theres too much harsh midrrange.

listen to your song front to end. if it doesnt sound good, somethings off - retrack it ok?

listen to commercial recordings while you mix. i do this so much its not even funny. ill take a 5 minute break from mixing by listening to other stuff i know by heart. listen to adam d mixes or sneaps mixes. you just have to realize how natural a produced mix is, even more natural than yours. once you get that, and respect a proper balace between lows mids and highs youll be in better shape.

Some pointers:

- Kick has too much low end. Also make sure to turn the kick down a couple of db.
- Snare is kind of quiet and needs to have more smack to it on the harder hits. It also needs some high end.
- Guitars are severely lacking mids.
- The mix as a whole is kinda dull.

Hope this helps you man.

well, you know how to balace a mix...... but theres a problem, compared to commercial recordings your balance is wimpy.

youve got no beef in your recordings. clear off all your plugins and set your track effects to normal. leave that bass in on all your tracks in there. thats whats making your guitar sound like a pussy. plus theres too much harsh midrrange.

listen to your song front to end. if it doesnt sound good, somethings off - retrack it ok?

listen to commercial recordings while you mix. i do this so much its not even funny. ill take a 5 minute break from mixing by listening to other stuff i know by heart. listen to adam d mixes or sneaps mixes. you just have to realize how natural a produced mix is, even more natural than yours. once you get that, and respect a proper balace between lows mids and highs youll be in better shape.

Yeah I did that and when I compared mixes it totally discouraged me because I had spent so much time tweaking and tweaking compared mine to someone elses and mine sounded like complete shit. I"m recording DI and then processing through POD Farm 2. I'm just gonna start everything from scratch including my S2.0 TMF kit. PHEW I got some work to do fellas. Gimme some time I'm about to start right now! Thanks for all the tips!!

Some pointers:

- Kick has too much low end. Also make sure to turn the kick down a couple of db.
- Snare is kind of quiet and needs to have more smack to it on the harder hits. It also needs some high end.
- Guitars are severely lacking mids.
- The mix as a whole is kinda dull.

Hope this helps you man.

Thanks a lot bro. I'm gonna start on that now!!

It is, I left a sticky note on my monitor saying that. So next time I'm doing levels I'll remember that and triple check my ears on that kick then go back to my guitars ;)

Okay less compression more room on the snare, less kick, and turned the pitch down a little bit too!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9875484/Song 2 Demos/Attempt 5.4.mp3

if i were you, i'd bring up some high end in the bass and turn it down and the mix would sound pretty gun