First Opeth single released from 'Heritage'

I agree for the most part, I think most of the die hards that were only there for the death vox will be very disappointed. I like the direction so far. And as I said to others before, I was pretty sure it would sound nothing like Damnation and something more akin to Opeth if they were a 70's prog rock band with the signature Opeth heavy sound.

Not sure about this yet... I hate the vintage guitar sound. The song is good, but there's a few things there that make me question whether I like it or not. Weird.

And I am an Opeth fanboy.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either......meh. Like Milton said, I'm not sold on the vintage guitar sounds and production.

Vintage: Old/out-dated or classic/timeless

Your definition may decide your enjoyment of the album before you even hear it.

Who, mine? I am still really looking forward to the album! I just don't know how to react to this song yet. It didn't really change the anticipation on listening to the whole thing! :)

I thought the guitars in the beginning of the track sounded like something you'd hear from a stoner band. I can't say I'm real excited to hear that sound in an Opeth track. I don't hate the song though ... it's got some interesting moments.

Britt

Well in my case when I said vintage I was referring to the fact that to my ears a "vintage" sound is one that is restricted tonally. It encompasses a narrower portion of the frequency spectrum than a more "modern" guitar sound would. Some people love the vintage sound, some don't. I fall into the latter category.

LOVED it. There's still some serious CLASSIC Opeth riffage going on in here, just sounding more "rock" than metal. I think the change in sound isn't as dramatic as people are going to make it out to be.

I'm loving it!!! I am a huge Opeth fan and they don't do any wrong to me, especially with Aekerfeldt on vocals! This track also just solidified my opinion of Axenrot as one of the best, if not best, all-around drummers who can do no wrong. He can groove like no other, then blast like a machine.

there were a couple REALLY cool riffs stuffed in there. I've loved every Opeth album and if the quality of the musicianship and songwriting in the single is indicative of the rest of the album it looks like I'm going to love the new one as well.

I don't know how I feel about the track. What makes Opeth my favorite band, among the many outstanding qualities, has always been the well executed contrast between the clean and harsh vocals. I guess i'll have to wait until the entire album comes out before I can form a solid opinion. At the moment I'm neither thrilled nor disappointed.

I don't know how I feel about the track. What makes Opeth my favorite band, among the many outstanding qualities, has always been the well executed contrast between the clean and harsh vocals. I guess i'll have to wait until the entire album comes out before I can form a solid opinion. At the moment I'm neither thrilled nor disappointed.

Well said. I just read an interview with Martin Mendez and he said that there are no harsh (death metal) vocals at all on the album.