New Opeth song released

It sounds basically like I thought it would. A "heavy" prog sound, but without the death metal riffs and vocals. I'm not blown away by it, but it sounds good and still sounds like Opeth. I'm glad they're changing their sound and evolving, especially since Mikael's death vocals sound like shit these days during live performances.

It sounds basically like I thought it would. A "heavy" prog sound, but without the death metal riffs and vocals. I'm not blown away by it, but it sounds good and still sounds like Opeth. I'm glad they're changing their sound and evolving, especially since Mikael's death vocals sound like shit these days during live performances.

I was not totally buying this theory that his death vocals were declining until I watched the Bloodbath DVD from last year and now I am in agreement. So I see why he made this move.

I have not listened to the new track yet. I am not sure if I will hold out for the actual album or not yet.

@Bleak Eyes: It sounds like Opeth to me, except for the guitar part @ 5:10 which is a slight variation (ditches the first chord and is a slower tempo) of 5:54 of Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt.1. Funny enough that's probably the best part even though I'm not a DT fan. The song is just not very good imo.

I'm not impressed overall, i like the parts where keyboards and a very simple 3 note guitar part are most prominent in the song - all the stuff at the end of the 2 min mark to about the end of the 3 minute part. But that main guitar riff is shit, its fast and complex sounding, but totally unemotional. I think he's over singing, to much stress on a lot of syllables. I'm still hoping this might be an okay album, I'm glad he's quit doing the death stuff, because yes his growls are going, i've been saying that for years.

I'm a bit confused by the direction. On Watershed "Coil" and "Burden" have been my favourite songs and I guessed they would go in that direction. Progressive in terms of interesting harmonical sturctures.
But now its that psychedelic progressive stuff I don't dig at all.

First impression is that it's a lot of uninspired wankery without any catching songwriting to it. Nothing that can hold my attention except for the part just before 5:00, which is pretty cool. But that alone doesn't hold the song together at all.
I'm curious how it will all work out on an album, but I'm pessimistic about it after hearing this