Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

To me, his voice fits better this kind of music than DT's.

I don't have a problem with his vocals in DT, it's just that on recent albums he's just kind of... there. Not bad, but not particularly interesting either. In Shadowminds he was really on point, though, especially with his delivery. He really adds to the song in a majorly positive way.

He adds. In DT, I guess that now from a long time, I have found his screams annoying. Even in his collab with Insomnium I find him to be the weak part of the song. So, I was skeptical about this.

I didn't mind the song he did with Insomnium, but I agree he wasn't anything special in that.

Have you always found his vocals in DT annoying, or only after a certain album?

Hmm, I liked his vocals on Damage Done but they sounded different to previous albums as his voice was starting to fail by that point. From memory he ended up taking a year out to recover, and when he came back he had a different technique from Character onwards.

Reactions: eochaid
I feel like Mikael's harsh vocals don't really fit Moment. Like, it's pretty mellow, melodic music. I can picture Jonas Renkse singing on that album; the growling just seems out of place.

Like, the band is evolving in this really moody and atmospheric direction and Mikael's approach hasn't quite caught up yet.

I never thought he sounded out of place on Moment, but I can kind of see where you're coming from. The song I've listened to most from that album is In Truth Divided which is all clean vocals.

Latest snippet from the documentary thing that has been recorded:

https://fb.watch/9LELmBxRhm/

For those who don't have/don't want to have FB...

[Mikael and Peter sitting on a couch]

Mikael: [turns to Peter] But then you asked me, in fact yeah, actually seriously, we should like, you know, do something. Alright, like what should it be, you know? And I was intrigued like 'what could this be? What could we make of it?' I know that Niclas was writing a lot of songs and then you [Peter] mentioned that you and Daniel were on board and I was like, 'wow, this is kind of like... the old days again'. That was intriguing.

[Change shot to Niclas]

Niclas: We talked it through and it was like 'yes, let's just play some music again, just... have fun. Maybe we should talk to the wizard... [black & white picture of Jesper], the magician, Jesper and see if he's up to the idea.

They just need another guitar wiz to complete that lineup. :) GBG Iron Maiden.

It would be funny if Shadowminds was the only song these guys ever released, no album or anything. They'd go on stage and play that one song and then leave to huge applause. Instead of an album they'd put out 10-second clips of Jesper taking a drag on a blunt in the darkness.

Hm, Engelin posted a photo with Jesper. Maybe they are recording another video? They're using different guitars to those in Shadowminds video.

Somebody who can play solo stuff.

They just need another guitar wiz to complete that lineup. :) GBG Iron Maiden.
That's something that I wonder why these bands aren't doing. I mean, there are, usually, lots of guitar melodies so, instead of just erasing them live, add a third guitar.

That's something that I wonder why these bands aren't doing. I mean, there are, usually, lots of guitar melodies so, instead of just erasing them live, add a third guitar.
Exactly. 3 guitars would be epic.

Anybody think that Shadowminds would be a good band name? Maybe better than The Halo Effect.

“We are Shadowminds from Goteburg! Let’s go!”

The Halo Effect doesn't bother me as a band name but THE isn't a great abbreviation.

Peter and Mikael were on Robb Flynn's podcast and confirmed a few things:

There is an album. It will be released in August 2022.

The next single (and video) will be coming around mid-January.

The album has 10 songs, Shadowminds is the opener.

The album is done (and sounds like it has been for a bit.)

They have not rehearsed a single time yet.

There is a very special guest on one track. Mikael said he isn't allowed to say who yet.

Mikael said the album is a mix of fast and slower paced songs.

Overall, it was a good interview. Mikael and Peter talked about Dark Tranquillity's first US show in San Francisco in 2002, supporting In Flames. Mikael told a story about it, which was quite interesting to me personally because I was at that show. Both of these dudes come across as genuinely good people.