Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

It sounds like a list of bands that inspired them to start into music.

Yeah, I'd say it's more that than bands that inspired the project specifically. Would have been better to have just had a solid list of awesome 90s/00s MDM for a playlist titled 'inspiration and origin'.

I don't really know many of the songs in their list, and I wouldn't really consider many of the songs/bands on that list a good represention of what THE is likely to sound like.

Reactions: eochaid
List is mostly solid metal, so that is good.

you have to remember though that these guys created melodic death metal. They don’t need to be inspired by MDM bands because they created MDM. I would be a lot more worried if Motionless In White and Of Mice and Men were on that list.

i would have liked to have seen some classical on there though. That definitely influenced the early material from many of the MDM bands, and that element has been missing for a long time.

I'll be surprised if anything they produce sounds like Vader or Foo Fighters.

Merciless
Kreator
Sadus
Pestilence
Slayer
Sepultura
Bathory
Death
Malevolent Creation
Sentenced
Necrophagist
Carnage
Carcass
Deicide
Autopsy
Vader
Unanimated
Obituary
Asphyx
Massacre
Grotesque
Savatage
Running Wild
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Magnum
King Diamond
Metal Church
Coroner
Judas Priest
Entombed
Trouble
Soundgarden
Kyuss
Sanctuary
Queensryche
The Cult
Foo Fighter (lol, fuck off)
Motley Crue
Mastodon

Actually, it's a cool list.

I even like Foo Fighters. :) Motley Crue not so much.

Just hope they'll find some inspiration to write aggressive riffs from all those death metal bands on the list. Having a catchy melody and cool chorus is great, but it's still metal and many bands forget that little fact nowadays.

Something in the vein of Colony-Clayman IF, DD Dark Tranquillity, first two Gardenian albums, 1999-2001 Soilwork would be great.

Get yourself onto an Australian IP via a VPN and Feel What I Believe is on YouTube right now.

First impression, sounds a lot more In Flames-ish compared to the last effort.

I've listened to the song a few times now and overall I like it. Structurally it's a bit chaotic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's also a part of the song that heavily reminds me of an IF song, very briefly. I am pretty sure it's Dead Eyes from Siren Charms. Will have to go back and check, SC isn't exactly one of my regularly listened to albums.

Come to think of it, the start of the song is quite reminiscent of New Dawn from SOAPF.

Get yourself onto an Australian IP via a VPN and Feel What I Believe is on YouTube right now.

First impression, sounds a lot more In Flames-ish compared to the last effort.
I'm on the phone now so I can't. Will check it later.

Edit: Great song. Full of energy and some fast pace. But, for some reason, this one reminds me more of DT :D:p

Last edited:
The opening guitar melodies aren't like anything DT has done recently, but the more chuggy parts in the verses definitely remind me of DT.

IF inspired parts for me are 00:03 - 00:20, 00:41 - 00:52, 01:32 - 01:45 (01:41-01:45 short melody & guitar tone is the part that reminds me of SC), 02:31 - 03:12, 03:32 - 04:01

DT/not so much IF inspired parts 00:20 - 00:41, 00:52 - 01:31, 01:45 - 02:31, 03:12 - 03:32

Yeah it's nice, a good mixture of the best elements of the Gothenberg sound.

Wow, who would have thought... You can actually make a nice guitar melody/harmony the basis of your melodeath song. I'm shocked!

I like this one more than the first one. A lot of things happening. It sounds like Claymen/RTR mixed with some DT, and all that with better production.

Stanne is awesome here. Much better than in DT.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
It's genuinely the best Stanne has sounded in years. Maybe as far back as Fiction. He's stepping up in a big way and it's awesome.

I feel like there's quite a lot of Niklas in this track. There are quite a few parts that remind me of the best of newer IF. Makes me wonder if Niklas wrote more of those melodies than is generally known.

Intro lead immediately made me think of Unearth's Zombie Autopilot.

Other than that, it's a solid single, better than the first one. Need to listen to it a few more times before I can actually say more.

I just noticed one thing... It's a catchy song, and I have it on repeat, but I have no idea how the chorus goes. The first thing on my mind is the guitar melody and those epic riffs. Fuck yeah!

Is it just me, or does the "if you could only see me now" section sounds like "I am running from something that I don't know" part from Trigger? Similar use of vocals and riffs, similar buildup.

What threw me when first listening to the track was that the first two lines of the chorus are first growled over the intro melodies. At 0:44 "if you could only see me now, if only you could know and feel what I believe". When those lines are sung in the actual chorus at 01:15 it feels like the intro melodies are suddenly missing, even though they aren't actually meant for the chorus. A strange structural choice, but the track as a whole is quite loose structurally which is fine by me.

Is it just me, or does the "if you could only see me now" section sounds like "I am running from something that I don't know" part from Trigger? Similar use of vocals and riffs, similar buildup.

Yeah I can hear that. Stanne's "why" growl just before the chorus is also very reminiscent of the same growl in Single Part of Two, albeit less raw and more controlled.

Reactions: drawntoblack
What I know is that, the more that I listen to it, the more I like it. I like how every chorus is different from the others, the fact that they are using the intro riff through the whole song (instead of using it just at the begonning and the end) and the melodies... There's a lot of work here. And a big thumbs up to the producer. Not only the sound is amazing, we can also hear Peter's bass.

Reactions: DE4life and A88