Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

Now I'm reminded how fucking good Serpent are, I hadn't listened to them in a while. Cannibalistic Dream from 02:15 onwards especially is just awesome. The entirety of xGODx is absolutely worth checking out though. It's even got a great little instrumental bonus track called 'Dividing Line'. Their first album, 'Cradle of Insanity' is pretty damn good as well.

Not Japanese, but if you haven't checked out Godgory I highly recommend their "Way Beyond" album from 2001. It doesn't get talked about much but is a hidden MDM gem.

Oh, and since I'm recommending less talked about MDM bands, I'd be remiss not to mention Night in Gales. Thunderbeast is an incredible album, with everything that somebody who loves that 90s MDM style could want.

Their latest album, Dawnlight Garden, is very good as well.

They unashamedly rip off Dead Eternity at 01:34... like, completely rip it off, but I can't even be mad because it's such a good track :D

1 hour interview with Jesper.

Some highlights:
- Talks briefly about why he left in flames, they couldn't agree on how to sound and was difficult for him to write music.
- Opens up a lot about his inner struggles, how he copes with panic attacks, depression and touring.
- He seems to really like recent In Flames' two singles - Praises the drumming.
- THE writing process and working with Niclas - They have some sort of office/studio where they can work on new music.
- Cyhra #3 and working with Jake - He is going to move to Jake's neighborhood, also near to the studio.

In terms of new MDM the one I like is Orbit Culture. Not straight up MDM as there's a lot o Metallica and Gojira influences, but they do have those elements, and they're Swedish.

Loved that interview with Jesper, very rare to hear him speaking like this, for such a long time as well. He sounds like he's in the best place he can be and has a really good understanding of his illness and what he needs to do to stay on top of it. All the best to him, I hope he continues on the current path.

Interviewer: It's not a bunch of old guys just trying to make some money, trying to cash in...

Jesper: That way would be like playing Only for the Weak and like 'jump jump jump'

:D

Anders like

cute-angry-pikachu-lr49dbcbp766ne7w.gif

Interesting you guys liked that comment because it makes no sense. OFTW is pretty much a staple live, so playing it and being hype about it has nothing to do with cashing in. Your schizophrenia is weird. When they didn't play anything pre-Clayman and the set was full of SOAPF and SC songs, you moaned. If they start playing older songs I don't know, 2 years ago, then you sleep, but when THE comes along you accuse them of copying them. Now they are being sellouts for playing OFTW, like Jesper didn't play Behind Space for example (almost?) every single show during his IF career.

I mean this Jesper vs. IF stuff is entertaining, but doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: ciko_gfb
Take a Xanax and chill, bro. It's clearly a tongue in cheek comment from myself. No need to be so serious about everything.

Reactions: eochaid
All right. On the positive side, I don't think I've ever heard Jesper talk in English, let alone for a straight hour. Didn't listen to the whole interview but his comments on the IF singles were surprising. He's been weird on social media, so we never knew his intented tone there, but he seemed pretty serious here.

He was being serious, and he's been positive about IF for some time now. It's been a long time since he had a social media outburst about them.

But yes, it's highly unusual for Jesper to do this kind of interview. I thought he came across as very down to earth and relatable.

Really good interview. I watched the most of it, its a good opportunity to tell Jesper about his side, specially how he cant be on the stage. I liked the comments he made about IF's new singles. I also felt sad when he talk about his "good old days" cause it felt like he miss those days and maybe IF. Although I'm on Anders's side on this Anders - Jesper situation and really like IF after Jesper, I kinda wished that they made up and make an album all together.

Interesting you guys liked that comment because it makes no sense. OFTW is pretty much a staple live, so playing it and being hype about it has nothing to do with cashing in. Your schizophrenia is weird. When they didn't play anything pre-Clayman and the set was full of SOAPF and SC songs, you moaned. If they start playing older songs I don't know, 2 years ago, then you sleep, but when THE comes along you accuse them of copying them. Now they are being sellouts for playing OFTW, like Jesper didn't play Behind Space for example (almost?) every single show during his IF career.

I mean this Jesper vs. IF stuff is entertaining, but doesn't make much sense.

I know half of this discussion in regard to OFTW has been jokingly, but to be fair, I don't think there's ever been a time where they ever dropped OFTW from a setlist. And if they have, that'd be stupid. So yeah, I don't think they'd be sellouts for playing it- It's been a constant for them since they released it. I think they'd be stupid for not playing it.

Oh well, that's just my two cents being put in after the discussion's already dead. Fuck my shifts, man.

Haven't watched the interview yet, but I'm excited to. It seems like while Jesper's kinda stumbled here and there with addiction and the (Pretty much silent and erased) dissolution of his marriage, he's really starting to get his life together and his energy back, and I love that. He's a really awesome guy, and while I never got to have a full conversation with him, having a small string of comments with him was probably one of the best moments of my life.

Really good interview. I watched the most of it, its a good opportunity to tell Jesper about his side, specially how he cant be on the stage. I liked the comments he made about IF's new singles. I also felt sad when he talk about his "good old days" cause it felt like he miss those days and maybe IF. Although I'm on Anders's side on this Anders - Jesper situation and really like IF after Jesper, I kinda wished that they made up and make an album all together.

I like all of them, so I can't exactly take a side here. I just think they were people with their own problems and differing visions. I think Jesper's addiction had a serious effect on band harmony/peace, but in a way, the different directions the band (Likely mainly Bjorn and Jesper) wanted to go probably did enough to damage things on their own. Either way, it's nice to see that, in a way, they've made peace- At least enough to be acquaintances. I won't say on friendly terms because, you know, the couple of Anders interviews where THE is mentioned, but it's enough.

Even when Jesper was having outbursts about IF on social media, I don't know who anyone is to tell him he's being ridiculous. It was HIS fucking band. If anyone deserves to have an opinion on it, it's him. And if you really think IF all of a sudden turning to a heavier sound isn't inspired by THE, I dunno what to tell you. It isn't a bad thing. But the timing is way too suspicious to believe otherwise for me. It makes me a bit sad that those guys not being able to agree on a sound moving forward played a part in him leaving the band. But I think that is something most people suspected for a long time. Pretty lame that the last founding member didn't have an opinion that carried more weight.

I have to commend Jeppe for being so open and candid about his struggles. He didn't have to do that, but he chose to share that stuff which is very brave of him. I hope he stays healthy and is able to continue making music, something that he is obviously passionate about.

Even when Jesper was having outbursts about IF on social media, I don't know who anyone is to tell him he's being ridiculous. It was HIS fucking band. If anyone deserves to have an opinion on it, it's him. And if you really think IF all of a sudden turning to a heavier sound isn't inspired by THE, I dunno what to tell you. It isn't a bad thing. But the timing is way too suspicious to believe otherwise for me. It makes me a bit sad that those guys not being able to agree on a sound moving forward played a part in him leaving the band. But I think that is something most people suspected for a long time. Pretty lame that the last founding member didn't have an opinion that carried more weight.

I have to commend Jeppe for being so open and candid about his struggles. He didn't have to do that, but he chose to share that stuff which is very brave of him. I hope he stays healthy and is able to continue making music, something that he is obviously passionate about.

I can agree with that, especially the last paragraph. I will say though, maybe it's just because of the back to back of SoSD and TGD, but something just doesn't quite click to me with the new album so far (I say as it only has two songs out). It's just missing that In Flames melody to me. Sure, SoSD has it enough I suppose, but TGD really doesn't feel like it has what I love about the band. It's objectively good, sure (Minus lyrical issues), but it doesn't quite feel like them to me. It's melodeath, but not the kind of melodeath that In Flames was, and I'd rather us get more alt metal stuff if it means that it still feels like them. I'll try to remain optimistic for the album though because if nothing else, SoSD has absolutely been a grower.

Even when Jesper was having outbursts about IF on social media, I don't know who anyone is to tell him he's being ridiculous. It was HIS fucking band.

That's the usual with our two interns. You shouldn't pay that much attention to them unless you feel like loosing all of your sanity.

That's the usual with our two interns. You shouldn't pay that much attention to them unless you feel like loosing all of your sanity.
It's like one radical political party saying that you shouldn't listen to the other radical political party. I can admit that I am biased and probably more forgiving with Anders and Björn. Can you admit that you are equally biased with Jesper and/or against Anders? I doubt so.

@The Grayfox As for Jesper, I don't see how him beind a, or rather The founding member makes all his opinion about the band legitimate. He has the right to form his opinion about them, but when he was at his low points and lashed out like a teenage girl, then deleted those comments, you can't tell me those should be taken seriously - even if he meant that, the way he conducted himself was not proper.

It can be suspected that THE influenced the new IF record, but you can't state it as a fact, because there are equally compelling arguments against that theory. Being the loudest or the more stubborn about an argument like this won't and should not make anyone right. We are not in the parliament where our main objective is to blame the opposition (or government if we are the opposition) for every single bad thing that is happening, even at the cost of saying the exact opposite we said months ago.

Man. You tried to kill your father and then sent Anders a letter saying that he was like the father that you never met.

Reactions: The Grayfox
You guys couldn't pay me to guess how this conversation proceeded to go after I went to sleep.

Keep it up, this is fucking beautiful.

Reactions: The Grayfox