Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

They wouldn't have been able to keep their old sound going anyway. Jesper and Bjorn were both too lazy and wanted to stop with the dual guitar stuff a long time before they finally did. Nordstrom knew what they needed to do, but as far as IF was concerned that was far too much work.

Even if they had forced themselves to keep going with that kind of sound, I think Jesper would still have flamed out around 2009/2010 period and Bjorn wouldn't have been able to keep that sound going by himself. Simply doesn't have the creative chops. At best they would have become SOAPF-style band, which wouldn't be bad at all, but oh well.

What's weird is that they did a show in Japan and didn't play it. I mean, you've only got 10 songs lads, wouldn't have killed you to have thrown it in there.

They wouldn't have been able to keep their old sound going anyway. Jesper and Bjorn were both too lazy and wanted to stop with the dual guitar stuff a long time before they finally did. Nordstrom knew what they needed to do, but as far as IF was concerned that was far too much work.

But they, mostly, went back to that sound with CC and ASOP. Even if the later was a failure, the intention is still there. Those albums are heavily influenced by their first period.

In the end, if I think about lazyness regarding guitar layers, I can only think of R2R and STYE.

CC has some earlier elements, but still plenty of metalcore influence. ASOP doesn't really remind me much of their old sound at all. Melodies are there at various points but nowhere near the same creative quality. It's night and day between Clayman and ASOP, and that's only a span of 8 years, which really isn't even that long musically. But Jesper has basically admitted at this point that his head wasn't in the game anymore, and Bjorn has proven how limited he is creatively. Basically blew his load with SOAPF and has been recycling past riffs ever since.

Reactions: Xpyro125
Really like the bonus track actually. It's nothing 'special' I guess, but I think it's better than a few of the tracks on the album honestly.

Having listened to it a few more times, I agree. It's not on the level of Conditional or Feel What I Believe, but it's at least as good as The Most Alone or In Broken Trust (both of which I also like a lot, for the record).

Reactions: The Grayfox
CC has some earlier elements, but still plenty of metalcore influence. ASOP doesn't really remind me much of their old sound at all. Melodies are there at various points but nowhere near the same creative quality. It's night and day between Clayman and ASOP, and that's only a span of 8 years, which really isn't even that long musically. But Jesper has basically admitted at this point that his head wasn't in the game anymore, and Bjorn has proven how limited he is creatively. Basically blew his load with SOAPF and has been recycling past riffs ever since.
In terms of creativity, no, but it's more about going back to the guitar layers that they dismissed for R2R and STYE. Those albums felt like... The guitars were retrieving their presence.

Setlist for the Amon Amarth/Machine Head tour:

Days of the Lost
The Needless End
Gateways
Feel What I Believe
In Broken Trust
Last of Our Kind
Shadowminds

Swap out In Broken Trust for Conditional and you've got a winner.

Reactions: eochaid
Setlist for the Amon Amarth/Machine Head tour:

Days of the Lost
The Needless End
Gateways
Feel What I Believe
In Broken Trust
Last of Our Kind
Shadowminds

Swap out In Broken Trust for Conditional and you've got a winner.

Completely agreed. That or "A Truth Worth Lying For", though "Conditional" just feels wrong to leave out. And that's the problem with having five singles on a ten track album.

I'm not sure you need Gateways and In Broken Trust on the same smaller setlist. One of them should be replaced with Conditional or A Truth Worth Lying For. IBT would be my pick to be removed, but the band really seem to like that one.

Had a ticket for the show at Wembley last night, wasn't able to make it unfortunately as I'm moving on Friday and had too much to do and not enough money to travel, gutted to miss out. Hopefully they will do a small headline tour next year and I'll get to see them - perhaps even with Jesper!

Awesome news. I remember they said they had a lot more tracks that hadn't ended up on the album, so an EP makes sense.

Why do people keep bringing up Reroute as an influence though? There's nothing on DotL that reminds me specifically of Reroute.

Why do people keep bringing up Reroute as an influence though? There's nothing on DotL that reminds me specifically of Reroute.

A lot of mid-tempo songs, a good deal of chugging riffs and electronic bits here and there. I mean the mood of the record isn't similar at all to me either but I get why people make the connection because if you had to choose the least dissimilar album, it would be RTR. Other IF albums are all either softer or heavier.

I mean, you could say that for a thousand albums though. It's so vague in terms of criteria that it isn't meaningful at all.