Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

I don’t understand the comparison to RTR at all either. That is one of my least favorite IF records, and if there was anything on Days of the Lost that remotely resembled it to me, I wouldn’t like it nearly as much as I do.

Even though I wouldn’t argue with a new full length this soon after their debut, an EP is most definitely welcome also. I was anticipating a deluxe release of Days with a few new songs but an EP makes sense. Or maybe both, who knows?

RTR and Days of the Lost share some chugging, but that's about it. The lead melodies and harmonized guitars weren't on RTR whatsoever, and there's far less keyboard presence (For the most part). The vocals, seeing as how they're from Mikael and not Anders, are completely different in technique and sound both harsh and clean. The bass also has much less presence here, though I'd say that's mainly because it was emphasized quite a bit in RTR (At least compared to the other IF albums and Days of the Lost). There's more, but eh.

Yeah honestly I don't really like it. Chorus vocals just sound totally out of place in this version.

I really like it. Massive old school COD zombies feeling with the riff. I think the chorus and whatnot sounds somewhat weird because it seems like the guitars were rerecorded or something, though I could absolutely be wrong there. It's not as weird or out there as I thought it'd be, which is kind of unfortunate, but it's still really cool. Definitely not at the level of the original, at least for me, but it's still awesome.

I totally understand what Ihsahn was going for there and I can definitely hear his style all over that track. I just feel it clashes with the original song's melodies in a way that creates unpleasant dissonance instead of something interesting. It sounds more like a performance where Jesper and Niclas are making a ton of mistakes.

I totally understand what Ihsahn was going for there and I can definitely hear his style all over that track. I just feel it clashes with the original song's melodies in a way that creates unpleasant dissonance instead of something interesting. It sounds more like a performance where Jesper and Niclas are making a ton of mistakes.

I do think that BM-styled dissonance is the point, though it definitely clashes with the pleasantness (Not sure if this is the right word or not) of the IF melodeath sound. I wish there was more ambient synthwork or something more avant garde. "Twin Black Angels" and basically most of Arktis are pretty much my references there.

It's definitely not for everyone, so I can understand that much.

Yeah, I've been doing a deep dive of Ihsahn's solo work recently, so I definitely get where he's coming from (just finished "After" a week ago). It's pretty cool how he manages to bend the song to fit his image. I think this approach may have worked better for me had it been done for another song (Gateways?), but I feel there was a mismatch here.

Reactions: Xpyro125
The problem is not the new stuff. The problem is how he left the old stuff and yeah, they don’t all go together. It just sounds terrible at parts.

It's an interpretation based on his own taste and experience. I care that much about this as I care about any other remix for any other song. It's just anecdotic .

I don't really care for remixes in metal. It works well in genres like rap, hip-hop, dance music... not so much metal, unless the song itself is being remixed into a different genre. The Club Connected remix of Cloud Connected, for example, is pretty cool.

I don't really care for remixes in metal. It works well in genres like rap, hip-hop, dance music... not so much metal, unless the song itself is being remixed into a different genre. The Club Connected remix of Cloud Connected, for example, is pretty cool.
The SOAPF remixes were decent ish. Eagle Claw remix.

Club Connected is my favorite In Flames remix, but a close second has to be the Big Chocolate remix of The Puzzle. I love how it takes the well-hidden clean vocals and mixes them with the song's outro melody to make a really cool interpretation.

Club Connected is my favorite In Flames remix, but a close second has to be the Big Chocolate remix of The Puzzle. I love how it takes the well-hidden clean vocals and mixes them with the song's outro melody to make a really cool interpretation.

Absolutely. This and Club Connected are the remixes I go back to all the time for IF. I think remixes for metal have to be done with a careful touch and an understanding of the song and the craft that's much more delicate for metal than rap or electronic music.

Remixes for rock tend to just fucking suck in general though- Haven't heard a Shinedown remix I like whatsoever, and I think Sevendust had maybe one or two I thought were cool off the new album.