Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

Btw I have one question.
I read somewhere on this forum that when DT was formed, Anders wasn't going to be their vocalist but had to sing as a substitute for someone else.
However, at that time he could neither play an instrument nor write songs at all. So what on earth was he there for? Was he in charge of preparing Stanne's lunch sandwich?

I am guessing since he was friends with those guys he was just hanging out with them. Somehow he parlayed that slice of luck into a career even though, if we're being brutally honest, he has little aptitude for his chosen profession.

Reactions: J_msh84
It's been a while since I've read/heard the story but I think that Anders tagged along for no reason. Some other kid was supposed to sing but never showed up? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Also none of them could sing or play their instruments at that point. DT's musical development is those early days and albums is fascinating when you take everything into account. Here's a link do DT's documentary that covers the early days with some rare footage from those early rehearsals.

Reactions: J_msh84
I am guessing since he was friends with those guys he was just hanging out with them. Somehow he parlayed that slice of luck into a career even though, if we're being brutally honest, he has little aptitude for his chosen profession.
Later he wrote lyrics about those guys.
It's the song called "F(r)iend"

I hope this is just a bad joke of mine :(

Reactions: DE4life
Ah ok. I didn't watch any of it yet because I'm at work.

I recommend it, it's pretty interesting, even more so nowadays with The Halo Effect existing. I also really recommend At The Gates' documentary. I know ATG are far less often discussed here due to them always being less accessible and having less in common than IF and DT, but the documentary is very well made and it tells the story of many things other than the band itself. Fredrik Nordrstom's tells an anecdote of how Whoracle almost didn't even happen because the In Flames dudes spent all of their studio times getting drunk and playing Tekken on playstation. Even if you dislike ATG all these surrounding characters from other bands either appear or are mentioned so it's like another puzzle piece for the whole 90s scene.

Seeing it also made me appreciate the very early ATG stuff a lot more due to how unconventional their approach to composing back then was. Anyway here it is:

I once heard from the world’s most cited, but least reliable source (which is “Someone told me”) that Anders was originally supposed to be the drummer.

However, I don’t know if it’s ever been officially confirmed.
One day, Stanne heard from his buddy Sundin about a guy by the name of Anders who was a good drummer. They called and invited him to their garage to join the band.
Then the flannel-shirted man named Anders arrived, but he couldn't play the drums at all.
"Hey, Niklas! He can't play properly!"
"Wait, Mike. I meant Anders Jivarp."
"What!? So who the fuck is this guy?"
Later they called the real Anders and added him to the band as drummer. And the man who looks like a hamster got the vocalist's spot.

I recommend it, it's pretty interesting, even more so nowadays with The Halo Effect existing. I also really recommend At The Gates' documentary. I know ATG are far less often discussed here due to them always being less accessible and having less in common than IF and DT, but the documentary is very well made and it tells the story of many things other than the band itself. Fredrik Nordrstom's tells an anecdote of how Whoracle almost didn't even happen because the In Flames dudes spent all of their studio times getting drunk and playing Tekken on playstation. Even if you dislike ATG all these surrounding characters from other bands either appear or are mentioned so it's like another puzzle piece for the whole 90s scene.

Seeing it also made me appreciate the very early ATG stuff a lot more due to how unconventional their approach to composing back then was. Anyway here it is:

That's my Friday night viewing sorted, thanks :cool:

Reactions: drawntoblack
Damn, which university did you guys attend to master psychology? Even most doctors are very adamant about not psycho-analyzing someone by just bits and pieces, and those who actually do are pretty much just whoring themselves out, because they know it full well that it is impossible to analyze someone this way, but we love gossip, so if someone with a PhD says that and X or Y is crazy, then we buy it.

We don't know shit about what went down between these guys and I'd pay to see the comments here if Anders were doing Jesper's Facebook tantrums. The guy is being crucified for being salty.

Even in the Foregone thread some of you did some asinine mental-gymnastics about Foregone being just a necessity, the guys probably didn't even want to do it, oh, gone are the days when these guys were doing this from the bottom of their heart!!!! Yeah, the guys who has always been self-admittedly lazy fucks, pretty much unanimously hated the working process on Clayman, has always been releasing records for around every 2 years, and STYE and CC were not even a band effort.

And just one hypothetical out of the many, this one is regarding Daniel: what if Daniel quit the band, thus leaving them in an awkward place, because he said he is tired of the touring life, done with it, etc, then you see him coming out of retirement to do music with your "arch nemesis"? You jump on that drummer comment, but refuse to entertain this possibility, or an even more straightforward one, which is simply talking up your current members.
Loves him to death, but also admitted he didn't see Bjorn for two years during the pandemic ... in Sweden, where the rules were much looser than everywhere else :D sure thing bro.

You guys have said it all already, the guy is just a dick these days.
He spent almost as much time with Björn as he did with his family in the last 2 decades, except for the pandemic times. Why is it that strange that they didn't meet? In 2022 they had 113 shows and if you add the traveling times as well, it'll probably be more than 1/3 of a year spent together. I don't think it means anything that they didn't meet, not to mention that it doesn't matter you didn't talk or video chat.

Reactions: Xpyro125