Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

Yes. First single, especially from a new band formed by musicians like these guys, must always be a punch straight to the face of the listener. It has to attract the attention from the first note.

Man, this song sounds great. I mean that both in terms of the material and literally speaking. Production is on point! Daniel's drumming has been so missed on the last 2 IF albums... probably the standout thing for me on this track. That and Mikael's performance, he sounds fired up on this one. I like Moment as an album a lot, but it lacks any sort of intensity like this song has. Guitars are very solid, Niclas almost definitely wrote the grooves as they sound VERY Engel. Jespers melodic touches are nice and stop the song feeling a little derivative. Really excited to see what else they've came up with!

I heard the first minute and a half on Apple Music. Sounds alright, gives me very Moment vibes. The rhythm guitar once the song kicks in has a very Niclas Engelin feel to it.

Kind of off-topic, but it's hard for me to agree with takes in recent years that one recent DT song or another sounds like "it could have been on Character or Fiction" -- those albums had an intense and visceral feel that nothing has come close to resembling in a long time, imo. Post-WATV DT might as well be a completely different band.

Last edited:
Heard the whole thing!

Pretty bland and it absolutely sounds like a Moment bonus track, but I'm still glad that these guys are collaborating. Always good to hear more music from Gothenburg dudes.

Stanne should really be banned from ever using a word "shadow" in any of his songs again, especially in choruses like this. Same cadence and delivery like in Shadow in our blood. It's just one of those things that once you notice them you can't unhear them. I understand shit kinda has to get monotonous after you've written 200 songs in your career but at this point one could program a DT lyrics generator with very little ease.

As for the song itself, it's pretty much what I expected. ASOP/SOAPF guitar work mixed in with more recent DT riffs, the robotic staccato type. Not exactly fresh but at least it is effective, I can't deny that. I also have a strong feeling that incoming singles will be much, much better. Hoping that songwriting is more leaning on the Jesper side of ratio as I don't hold Engelin in a very high regard, the last Engel efforts were really lackluster and that's disappointing when you consider its his own band where he can do anything without limitations.

I had no illusions that they would go back to more extreme sound of the 90s, I'm fine with them going for the mainstream radio route as long as they keep the shit filter to a relatively high threshold and don't half-ass the melodies.

Reactions: miniroch
Fortunately Shadow in Our Blood is off WATV and I don't think I listened to that album more than twice so I can't remember it. It's a pretty common thing with Stanne though - his vocals and delivery are sometimes copy-pasted from previous tracks (not literally but in terms of how he sounds), particularly with modern DT. It's never bothered me but it is noticeable.

I don't think we should write off hearing any classic MDM from these guys yet. I think there will be one or two tracks which lean heavily in that direction. They know what people are hoping for and it'd be silly if they didn't at least give us something in that vein.

Kind of off-topic, but it's hard for me to agree with takes in recent years that one recent DT song or another sounds like "it could have been on Character or Fiction" -- those albums had an intense and visceral feel that nothing has come close to resembling in a long time, imo. Post-WATV DT might as well be a completely different band.

I tend to agree, although I do think some of that comes down to production. When I was switching between songs on Character and Shadowminds it reminded me how raw the production on Character was. It often sounds like the instruments are just competing to be louder than each other. Modern DT and Shadowminds has much slicker production which makes the tracks sound less intense/vicious, but for me it's easier to listen to.

Totally sounds like a DT Moment song with a slightly fuller and warmer atmosphere. If you didn’t know that IF were a part of it you would just think it was DT.

Totally sounds like a DT Moment song with a slightly fuller and warmer atmosphere. If you didn’t know that IF were a part of it you would just think it was DT.

I have to say if this was released as a Moment bonus track, "Dark Tranquillity - Shadowminds", I don't think anybody would remark that it doesn't sound like them.

Could be true, but I don't think those melodic parts sound like DT at all.

Also DT tend to do evil sounding chord progressions and stuff without nice resolution, while this sounds closer to IF to my ears.

It's a good mix with this song being closer to DT side. Can't wait to hear more.

I wouldn't say it sounds like WATV/Construct/Atoma tracks, but I was listening to Moment this morning and there are definitely some songs that sound quite similar, like Phantom Days. The brief solo part at 02:20 sounds nothing like DT, though.

Decent to good song for me. A bit slow tempo for me, there better be some faster shit in their upcoming material.

Mid-tempo is about what you'd expect from the first single. It wasn't likely to be a shredder or a ballad - Jesper in particular doesn't really do the former, and the latter wouldn't make sense for a debut single featuring a bunch of MDM legends.

I reckon there will be a faster song released, but not sure whether it'll be a single. From what we know of the band members I expect most of the songs will be mid-tempo.

Mid-tempo is about what you'd expect from the first single. It wasn't likely to be a shredder or a ballad - Jesper in particular doesn't really do the former, and the latter wouldn't make sense for a debut single featuring a bunch of MDM legends.

I reckon there will be a faster song released, but not sure whether it'll be a single. From what we know of the band members I expect most of the songs will be mid-tempo.

No one expect shred from Jesper, but some decent thrashy up-tempo stuff a la Come Clarity (album, not the song obviously) would be nice. That album is full of aggressive and lively riffs and rhythms.

No one expect shred from Jesper, but some decent thrashy up-tempo stuff a la Come Clarity (album, not the song obviously) would be nice. That album is full of aggressive and lively riffs and rhythms.

Yeah, been a while since he's done that though. Granted I didn't listen to much of The Resistance but I wouldn't have wanted the new group to sound anything like that anyway. People were wanting similar things from Cyhra and there's nothing like that on either album (although I don't think he had much of a hand in No Halos in Hell anyway).

Come Clarity is a bit unusual as far as Jesper is concerned, very different in terms of tempo and speed to Reroute, STYE or ASOP and certainly nothing like anything he did with Cyhra. I'm sure he could make songs like that again, I'm just not convinced he really wants to.

Daniel is happy when he plays fast songs. So, I bet, they have made a few ones.

"The initial thought behind THE HALO EFFECT was to go back to the roots and explore the classic Gothenburg Sound. The band delivers the goods in a brutally efficient display of heart pounding beats, melodic mayhem and furious growling at its best and the result is an exceptional sound to fans of melodeath, where the echoes of the Gothenburg Sound are evident."

You know better than to believe label press releases. They basically said the same thing about Siren Charms.