Five Years Ago Tonight: the greatest show of my life..

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
Pain of Salvation ProgPowerUSA 1.0

(the final band out of 11 the Friday/Saturday):

approximately 11:00PM - 2:15AM
Saturday February 24th, 2001
J.J. Kelleys Lansing, ILL
USED
IN THE FLESH
ASHES
MORNING ON EARTH
WELCOME TO ENTROPIA
WINNING A WAR
PEOPLE PASSING BY
NIGHTMIST
OBLIVION OCEAN
REVIVAL
NEW YEARS EVE
THE BIG MACHINE
SONG FOR THE INNOCENT
FALLING
THE PERFECT ELEMENT
(encore)
SPIRIT OF THE LAND
INSIDE
IDIOGLOSSIA
!
LEAVING ENTROPIA (extended electric version)
DGildenlowandJHolgrenlive.bmp

(thanks Paul ;) )
dcp01634.jpg

I do remember buying THE PERFECT ELEMENT PART 1 only about 1 month before this show, so I was verry new to the band at the time.

Happy Anniversary! :D to the whole Festival, but most of all the PoS performance.

Kyle

No doubt dude!!! That was an incredible night! I, too, had onlt been a fan for about a month and was BLOWN away by their performance! You barely missed me in those pictures. I was standling DIRECTLY in front of the stage directly in front of Kristoffer. I have some pictures from that I have to figure out some hosting for them.

That entire festival was incredibly groundbreaking for me! Thanks for bringing up the great memories!

in how many forums did you post this? so far I've seen it in this one, the PoS one, and the mike portnoy forum

Prog Maiden said:
I'm still pissed about missing this show. Five years later and I'm *still* not 21... at least that will be changing shortly. :p

heh... my friend Aaron turned 21 a couple weeks after this show, and he lives about 10 minutes away from J.J. Kelley's (where this show was performed)... and he's a huge PoS fan. He was massively bummed, to say the least.

booB said:
heh... my friend Aaron turned 21 a couple weeks after this show, and he lives about 10 minutes away from J.J. Kelley's (where this show was performed)... and he's a huge PoS fan. He was massively bummed, to say the least.

Yeah, that sucks too. I'm from the Chicago area, so it wouldn't have been a huge distance for me either but I was only 15 at the time. :erk:

Wow, it was five years ago!

Amazing performance, too -- not that anyone else at PP 1 didn't give the show their all, either. What a great weekend!

Here's what I wrote upon my return, excerpted from my write-up with pics, at http://jet13.hasweb.com/~paulcas/pp-usa01/ .......

As mentioned earlier, I'd seen PoS two years ago in Holland at Progpower and their 45-minute set was, IMO, the best of the festival, so I had high hopes indeed for a great performance from them. Daniel Gildenlow, in his low-key "just us folks" way, promised us they would kick all of our asses. We chuckled.

They were stupendous. Promise delivered, Daniel! As I type this on Monday after the show, the websites, the chatrooms and the mailing lists are already alive with the buzz about this show. I haven't read a bad review yet. Several people have commented they were moved to tears. I was so impressed I popped my death-metal-certified In Flames earplugs (courtesy Century Media) out after a few songs. My only regret was that I wished I'd saved more camera room for photos. (....)

I had thought Symphony-X would be the pinnacle of the weekend since they were a new element for me and most of the audience, and indeed they were truly excellent....but PoS were the perfect element. They were magical. They melded so many different styles of music and performance together so tightly, so flawlessly, and with such radiant passion that I couldn't believe they'd had only about 3 hours of sleep -- tops -- on the floor at BWI Airport in Baltimore due to a missed connection. If this was a tired show, a well-rested show from PoS should be able to end world hunger. This was easily one of the ten best shows I've ever seen. Others put them at #1. One guy in the front commented he might never see another show again. I'm not surprised at all. No-one could have followed them that night....

Interestingly, as someone else observed upthread, they haven't quite equalled that performance since, although their PP appearances have come close.

I also remember it seemed like everyone in front was 6'5" or taller. "Where the hell did this FOREST come from?" :loco: :tickled: All my shots were taken with camera over people's heads, unable to aim and shooting haphazardly. I'm amazed any of them came out, but I'm hella glad they did!

Pellaz said:
I also remember it seemed like everyone in front was 6'5" or taller. "Where the hell did this FOREST come from?"

Nah, not 6'5"....I'm 6'4", and I was one of the tallest people up front. :loco:

Of course, that means I got some decent pics...they're at:

http://www.craigcaldwell.com/images/ProgPower_1.0/

My PoS pics start on "Page 4"...the others are all of Power of Omens and Zero Hour.

That was probably the most amazing performance I've ever seen, too....completely magical, mind-blowing, and TOTALLY worth the 5 straight hours spent standing in one spot (my legs ache even now...just thinking about it!!). :OMG:

Later!

Craig