Flood Pics

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
It rained like crazy through the weekend of the 11th and 12th this month. My entire apartment got flooded. I'd seen this part of the building flood a tiny bit in the past, but it was just some puddles in the hallway around my unit, nothing major. In hindsight, I guess that should have been a telling sign, heh.

On Saturday night I fell asleep on my couch, and on Sunday morning I woke up to this:

flood01.jpg

The rest of my carpet through the place was dry (or at least looked that way), so my first thought was to find a way to block the water coming in. That idea fizzled fast as soon as I stood up in the "dry" part of the carpet and it was squishy and turned wet as soon as I stepped on it. There was water under the carpet through my whole unit already.

This is the hallway behind my place. My unit is against the dry part of the carpet here, which means there is water coming in from the other side, too.

flood02.jpg

Back in my place and it's getting worse. I'm taking these pictures in between discovering things I want to save and getting them up high.

flood03.jpg

flood04.jpg

Here you can see how much water there is outside, just waiting to come in :\

flood05.jpg

At this point it's just dumping in beyond control. Glad I have rubber boots.

flood06.jpg

Floating bathmats.

flood07.jpg

The hallway is filling up now.

flood08.jpg

My kitchen. At this point, things are just floating around my apartment.

flood09.jpg

Time for cleanup. This is probably 4 hours after the last picture. In that time, the flooding stopped, a drain outside was unclogged and most of the water swept out of my apartment with brooms.

flood10.jpg

These ones show how high the water got.

flood11.jpg

I like this pic. I think sums up the entire experience pretty well.

flood-end.jpg

This pool was actually overflowing at one point, but this was taken after the rain had stopped and the water level decreased.

flood-pool.jpg

After over a week of staying in hotel rooms and friends' couches, I'm finally back home with fresh carpet and new paint on the walls. The whole ordeal was a huge pain in the ass, but now that it's over it doesn't seem like such a huge deal. I get free rent next month!

In general though, fuck you, flood!

They do it by stripping out carpets and padding and repainting. Every place gets mold, it's unavoidable... it's the BLACK mold they worry about.

That fucking sucks! Didn't you just finish cleaning up a sewage explosion???
Ugh, I'm so sorry you have to deal with that crap! Mayhaps it's time to find a more stable home? :cry:

The "sewage explosion" turned out to be the contents of the garbage disposal that the people on the other side of that particular unit were dumping into their sink. That unit was not mine, it was an empty one that another resident had just moved out of that they were using to store my stuff while they fixed the flood damage in my actual unit.

That whole week was a huge, angering, annoying clusterfuck.

jesus fuck, dude, that is brutal. i had some flooding in my old place but that was due to a sprinkler malfunction - and nothing on this level.

where in seattle are you living?
Same place up next to Jackson Park Golf Course. Not for long though, once I get hired full time at F5, I will be moving to Queen Anne. Kind of excited about it actually.... I've lived in the same place for almost 5 years now. That's too long to rent anything :D

Same place up next to Jackson Park Golf Course. Not for long though, once I get hired full time at F5, I will be moving to Queen Anne. Kind of excited about it actually.... I've lived in the same place for almost 5 years now. That's too long to rent anything :D

Nice one - I got a couple friends living right on Queen Anne Ave. Gotta hang out in that area more often.