Florida Iced Earth/SX Roll Call and Thoughts thread!

Metal_Camden

Sep 25, 2009
Catching Iced Earth tonight at Orlando's Beacham theater! Going to be great! Doors are at 5 and Warbringer goes on at 5:30 - that seems reeeealy early...

Any other Floridians going?

but then again ATLANTA you get them tomorrow so there is a long drive!

Stoked to see Stu! Ill post some thoughts after the show!!

Still not sure if we are going to make this. Going to the GnR show. The doors for that are at 9. They won't go on till at least 11.

We were going just to see Warbringer, Iced Earth and duck out early during Sym X's set (since we will see them in Sept.), but IE are closing this show. What time do you think this show will be over? I figure Warbringer gets 30 min., Symphony X should hit the stage by 6:30 til 8??? Iced Earth at 8:30 till 10??? Still time to get over to HOB for the other show.

Seems early, but we seen Iced Earth at the House of Blues once and the show was over by 9:30. I think the venue turns into a dance club later at night, so that may be why the early start time.

Still not sure if we are going to make this. Going to the GnR show. The doors for that are at 9. They won't go on till at least 11.

We were going just to see Warbringer, Iced Earth and duck out early during Sym X's set (since we will see them in Sept.), but IE are closing this show. What time do you think this show will be over? I figure Warbringer gets 30 min., Symphony X should hit the stage by 6:30 til 8??? Iced Earth at 8:30 till 10??? Still time to get over to HOB for the other show.

Seems early, but we seen Iced Earth at the House of Blues once and the show was over by 9:30. I think the venue turns into a dance club later at night, so that may be why the early start time.
In San Diego, Warbringer started at 6:30 and Iced Earth finished up around 10:55, so start to finish it should be roughly 4.5 hours. Your estimate of IE ending at 10 is about right.

great minds think alike :) I heard the venue has an early curfew so the starting times were moved up.

That would make sense - i did a show at the little venue that is a part of beacham on thursday. it seems they have a curfew for the public by like 11 or 11:45?

also if anyone is wanting some grub - there is a great little bar across the street called the dive bar. has the best buffalo chicken sandwich I've ever eaten.

We will be there pre gaming!

Until about 4PM. last night I was all set for this. But then our one ear old granddaughter had a fever relates seizure. We have been spending most of our time at Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital. Not sure if I'm going or not now. I sure could use the escape tho! But I've got a wife a daughter a son in law and two more grandkids to watch out for.

I think you should have enough time to catch both! and also then have a crazy nights worth of stories to tell :)

Until about 4PM. last night I was all set for this. But then our one ear old granddaughter had a fever relates seizure. We have been spending most of our time at Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital. Not sure if I'm going or not now. I sure could use the escape tho! But I've got a wife a daughter a son in law and two more grandkids to watch out for.

That really sucks man, Is everything ok now shes at the hospital??

Just called HOB. Doors are at 9, opening band at 10, GnR isn't starting until 12 and are playing 3 hours.

Looks like we will be at both shows. I think I need to take a nap.

I don't even know whos opening. I didn't ask because I was only thinking about how we could watch Iced Earth now!

FYI - for the Austin show, Warbringer got 30 minutes, then Iced Earth got 1.5 hours then Symphony X got 1.5 hours. In Austin, Symphony X closed. I read from an email from Symphony X they are alternating.

Was a great show. Loving Stu as the new singer. Enjoy.

Holy fuck, Guns 'N' Roses tickets at House Of Blues are $166? No wonder they bumped Iced Earth / Symphony X from the venue, if they feel they can charge those kind of prices of GNR. I'm not much into them anyway, but it might have been interesting to leave one show and go to another... but for that price, I think I'd rather just go get one of those buffalo chicken sandwiches across the street from the Beacham after the show! :) I also dug out my old ProgPower IV shirt from 2003 for tonight, because even though it's getting too old to wear regularly, I figured people at this show might appreciate it, lol.

Tix were $101 for the GnR show. Must be a ticket broker because the show is sold out. I know it's a high price, but being at such a small place for them you have to expect a premium.
They are not my favorite band and I actually have said in the past I would never see this version of Axl and company. After seeing reviews of other shows and the small venue I couldn't pass it up.

So how was the show? She's still on a ventilation machine so we are just wait and see. Bummed I missed this, but family comes first. Where are the reviews so I can live vicariously and be more jealous? :)

Positive vibes going your way, man. Hope everything turns out well.

Warbringer was pretty good. In your face old school vibe thrash metal. They sounded pretty good.

Symphony X. Vocals seemed very low in the mix. That aside I thought they rocked (I expected nothing less). A lot of new material was played off the new album, which is fine it's one of my favorite albums from last year.

Iced Earth. Sound was HORRIBLE until about the 3rd song in. Wireless mic clipping, bass so loud your eyeballs shook... throughout the rest of the night the lead guitarist might as well have not shown up because you could only hear him when Jon wasn't being riff-tastic. Vocals were an issue the entire night when he went into the low range you couldn't hear him.

I find it odd the first band sounded so clear and the 2 headliners were borderline ass. Overall they volume should have been brought down a tad and of course better sound people. Pushing 110db in a small place like that is a bit overkill.

Standout songs for me;

Warbringer - Living Weapon

Symphony X; Children of a Faceless God, Dehumanized, Inferno (Unleash the Fire), Serpent's Kiss and When All Is Lost.

Iced Earth; Dark City, V, Declaration Day, Dante's Inferno, Iced Earth and Damian

Venue was much better than I thought it was going to be. Symphony X were outstanding. Probably the best I have ever heard Russell. The only issue for me was Romeo's guitar was buried until midset....drums and bass were cranked! Sure we all want more older material, but the Iconoclast songs were great live. When All Is Lost was the best live performance I've seen in a long time.

I have no explanation for Iced Earth's sound. Schaffer was on fire, but lead guitar was nonexistent, and unless Stu went for a high note, you couln't hear him AT ALL. I was hoping this would pass after a song or two, but even by the closing song there was no improvement.

Symphony X. Vocals seemed very low in the mix. That aside I thought they rocked (I expected nothing less). A lot of new material was played off the new album, which is fine it's one of my favorite albums from last year.

Russell sounded horrible in Ft Lauderdale, was gargling water and drinking something in a skull flask during his set. The vocals were also very low in the mix here as well, but the timing in the band was slightly off too--a couple of songs seemed rushed and others were paced too slow.

Whenever you see a band 6-10 times, you will be able to rank a "best" and "worst" show, regardless of the overall level of talent. I walked out before the encore was finished. The worst SymphX show I have ever seen.

I was very impressed with Iced Earth, though--they were the middle act and the mic levels were all perfect.

We ended up seeing both shows afterall. Got to the Beecham during Warbringers set. All three bands played good, but the sound was pretty shitty for Sym X and Iced Earth. Why these bands/sound guys insist on cranking it up to 1000 and pushing the bass so high I will never understand. The bass was way to loud for most of Iced Earths set, plus the mic issues and eveything else mentioned already. Good show minus that, and the venue was pretty good. I really hope Sym X isn't bringing their own sound guy to PP.

Show was over at 10 and headed over to the HOB for GnR. Some opening band was still on. GnR hit the stage a little after midnight. Place was packed! I can't believe it, but they were one of the tightest, best sounding bands I have ever seen. Absolutely amazing show and Axl sounds great. The sound was perfect, not to loud and you could hear every instrument clearly. Screw the original line-up. These guys are the real deal. Great show.

It was pretty cool hitting up both shows. Worked out damn near perfect. Didn't get home until almost 5am, but had a blast.