Flying with Guitars (airlines, baggage handling and such)

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
So I'll be flying to CA next thursday, and I need to bring my bass. I can't afford a flight case, so I have to go with a regular hardshell. :erk: Any tips for flying with guitars/basses? I'm kind of worried about it seeing how the baggage handlers throw things around so much. I've heard that its a good idea to detune the instrument before flying to help with temperature changes or something, but I'm more worried about how it's handled.

I'm thinking maybe I can wrap some sort of extra padding around the bass for extra cusion and to lock it in more tightly, and I was going to remove the knobs so theres a touch more clearance between the pots and the lid of the case in the event that it ends up with 40 suitcases on top of it. :erk:

I'd maybe put a big "FRAGILE" sign on it, but that would probably only cause a moment of hesitation before they drop-kick it into the cargo hold.

Maybe I should tape the latches closed so the case doesnt end up flying open at any point and send the bass skipping across the concrete before being run over by a fuel truck or a 737 or two. Yes, I've already imagined a bunch of horrific scenarios.

I'm also thinking of volunteering it to be opened and inspected, so I can then wrap about forty feet of duct tape around it to hold it closed.

I'll be flying Southwest if that helps any.

I don't have any actual advice, as I've never flown with an instrument, but I suppose it would be a good idea to put several strips of tape to keep the case closed (if you aren't able to lock it). I had a guitar shipped to me like this (just a shipping label taped to the case). I was extremely pissed, but relieved it made it in one piece.

Try to ask the airline if you can make it cabin baggage.

When I was flying with my....well Flying V :zombie:, I had it in a simple acoustic guitar bag.
This way you or the flight crew usually find a safe place for it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo&feature=PlayList&p=D7949FF7DD11D253&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=4[/ame]

I travel with my guitar fairly regularly (about once in 3 months) and always take a gig-bag and take it on board. Even on board, I don't keep it above with everyone's stuff but just let it stand next to me, never caused an issue.

I recently had a guitar shipped to me through a friend, so he put it in a hard shell case, wrapped it bubble wrap, put the hard shell case in its cardboard box and checked it in. The only damage that occurred was the pickup selector switch tip breaking a little, but I think that might just be due to the case not fitting perfectly.
(NGD for me EC1000 :D)

I'm still looking for a form fitting case for it which is thin enough so I can carry it on board like my gig-bag.

My Schecter Omen 6 flew with me from the US to Australia and back 5 times in an el cheapo hardshell case (faux suede, to be exact) just with some bubblewrap for padding around the case inside a cardboard box the case originally came in, all without the first problem. no scratches, dings, dents, etc...
I actually used underwear and socks to fill in extra space around the guitar for extra padding which is also great for transporting your socks and undies leaving more room for other things in your bigger luggage.

I always take mine as carry on. The case just happens to fit in the overhead storage. If they want to check your bass as baggage at the counter, tell them you'd like to carry it and if necessary, check it at the gate. In many cases, when you get to the plane, ask the flight attendant if you can put it in the "coat closet" (I doubt it will fit in the overhead, being a bass) and they will usually be pretty helpful to avoid checking it as baggage. (They get instruments as carry on quite a bit.)

Even if there is no room on the plane, and they have to check it at the gate, it should be fine. They will put it in the cargo bin last, and it will be the first thing off when they unload. They will have it waiting for you as you get off the plane.

As an extra measure, I wrap bungie cords around the case in case the latches get knocked open or broken. Keeps it from falling open...

The last time I flew to Australia I wrapped duct tape right around the seal of a hardshell guitar case a few times to help stop it from opening should the latches all get bumped open somehow, as well as around the case sideways in 3 or 4 spots. I figured they scan everything they're curious to see and really only open something if they cant clearly see whats in a case during xray.
You should be fine man. There's heaps of good advice coming your way in this thread. Good luck :kickass:

I bought my EC1000 in the US and carried it on-board back home, no problems, no questions asked.
I have an SKB case with it that has one of those special locks you may actually lock because airport security has keys for those or something... That way it won't open accidentally ^^

Wow, thanks for all the tips, guys! I guess the key will be to get there early enough to see about taking on board with me, but also being prepared to check it if necessary. I like the socks and undies idea!