Focusrite Saffire PRO 24

JoshuaHornerline

New Metal Member
Aug 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK.
Just a few days ago I got my new interface in the mail. I was running everything into a Line 6 Toneport. It sucked so much. I finally upgraded to FireWire and all that. I'm just waiting on my FireWire card to come in. I bought this thing used on eBay for $190, free shipping. This thing looks like fucking new, I'm not even kidding. It smells new too hahah. I bought the Focusrite for one, I need a new interface with atleast two mic inputs. I've also heard good stuff about the pres and how reliable the drivers are. I've also just heard that Focusrite is good all around. If I like this one, in the future I'll upgrade to the PRO 40!

What do you guys think? Good buy?

Goddamn Guitar, want to hear some DIs with you playing through Pro 24, interesting how much clipping will be with your picking style (because specifications have low maximum input level) :)
Just curious.

Depends on the pickups. If Ola is going to use a guitar with passives, it's almost guaranteed to clip.
I`m know that, this is the reason for being curious :)
Even with EMG`s input level almost at the edge of pickup output level.

I have a saffire pro 24 and I've recorded DI's with both passives and active pickups with no clipping at all.

Does the pad work for the DI input? If so, that might explain your case. My Saffire LE has the same specs I believe and it clips like crazy with my PRS. Saffire LE = no pad. I believe I've read somewhere that the pad on Pro 24 does not work for DI input, but I might be wrong.

On Pro 24 (or 14) Pad is working only on line inputs 3-4, not on inputs 1-2 with pres.
That`s what manuals says, unlike bigger brother Pro 40 which has Pad on instrumental inputs.

I have the Pro24 too. But when i switch from "Line" to "Inst" Input in the Mix Control Station, it is clipping as hell. (SD Blackout PU). Any tips to fix that problem?
BTW: Whats the difference between Line and Inst? Is it just a gain/volume difference or are there huge differences in tone and quality of the Guitar DI?!

I have the Pro24 too. But when i switch from "Line" to "Inst" Input in the Mix Control Station, it is clipping as hell. (SD Blackout PU). Any tips to fix that problem?
BTW: Whats the difference between Line and Inst? Is it just a gain/volume difference or are there huge differences in tone and quality of the Guitar DI?!

There are differences, mainly input impedance, which may lead to highs roll-off. It's a question of principle - you probably don't want to compromise the sound right at the source, even though it does not have to be such a great difference in the end.

I have the Pro 24 and im happy to report no clipping regardless of how hard i play (emg 81)
Thats alright for emgs, it`s output is below specified maximum input level.

aix
Try to reduce guitar volume slightly, blackouts are slightly hotter than EMGs, by reducing guitar volume you can avoid interface clipping, actives does not changing sound with reduced volume (unlike passives).
Difference between line and Hi-Z is impedance, active pickups works well enough even with line impedance, difference is quite subtle with actives and drastic with passives, so check it yourself, I`m prefer Hi-Z.

I got mine working yesterday evening and I noticed this too. I honestly would much rather use the line instead of the inst. I've notiiced with the inst turned on it clips even without the gain being up to 1. But with line selected, I can crack it up to about 7 or so and get a decent volume. With a some compression and eq I'm sure it'd sound decent in a mix. Hell, maybe I'm completely wrong. I plan on buying a nice real amp anyway. Fuck amp sims :D