Folk-music

yeah, welcome here. I'll check out that album. I heard their stuff a time ago. I don't like their house versions of the songs but the acoustic parts are cool! There is someone here who is mad about that band (I thought it was Nomad).

Hedningarna is also a good folk music band, consisting of 3 Swedish musicians and 2 finish ladies doing the singing.

Btw, they also have a version of Vargtimmen, that song covered by Finntroll on their album Jaktens Tid.

Blackspirit... yes check them out ;)

Buy some cds with Edvard Grieg also. Many of his composings has a magic folk spirit... Make sure to buy a cd with an orchestra which is of quality... =)

Well, always wondered... what's your definition of folk music??? Music of people singing in their native tongue (with dialect, even), music about the region the musicians come from, or does it define from the musical style? Which one goes for you best???

I must say, the second is my kind of definition :)

Originally posted by Ziuwarian
Well, always wondered... what's your definition of folk music??? Music of people singing in their native tongue (with dialect, even), music about the region the musicians come from, or does it define from the musical style? Which one goes for you best???

I must say, the second is my kind of definition :)

For me it's the musical style and the rhythm I guess....
The very personal and intimate down to earth feeling,
and the powerful rhythm together is what really does
it for me :eek:)

It doesn't have to be in the native tongue cause there
are folk songs from all over the world, and you don't
have to sing the ones from your own country. The thing
with folk songs is that people from all around the world
can relate to them :eek:) But people from all over the
world can relate to a lot of different music styles so....

Originally posted by Blackspirit
The thing
with folk songs is that people from all around the world
can relate to them :eek:) But people from all over the
world can relate to a lot of different music styles so....

I'm not 100% sure of what you mean by that, but I don't relate to any folk music, but it's a totally different feel from anything I'm used to. And that's what I like.

Anyway, I consider folk music to be at least be based on some traditional tunes, melodies, harmonies, and rhythms of the "local" culture. You can tell what is traditional Irish music through the 4 items I mentioned a second ago. Similarly with the rest of the world.