food in atlanta

Kenso

Juke Box Hero
Sep 18, 2006
zzz
i was staying at the midtown marriot and winded up blowing a ton of money on food. it seems everything is way higher in atlanta! what is the best way to save money on food? my friend ordered 2 pizzas from dominoes... it ended up being over 35 dollars! ive always looked at dominoes as a cheaper place to eat too!

Stay at a hotel that has a kitchenette and buy your food. Honestly, it's the cheapest thing to do, or hit up subway for a 12" and save half for dinner.

ill take that into consideration next year!

i definitely should have looked into this before hand, i didnt realize it was going to be that much of a pain/pricey

Aye. Making the run to Kroger for microwaveables saved me a LOT of money this year.

During the day though, that new cafe next to Grenada was PHENOMENAL!

Late night food can be a problem as I've discovered these last five years. The first few years at the Granada I had a kitchen so no biggy, just went over to Kroger. But this year I was at the Marriott Midtown as well. Daytime food wasnt a problem though, I walked over to Atlantic Station. Plenty of restaurants there. I actually walked there to go to Target but discovered it doesn't open till next week. There's also a food court in the mall below what used to be the Sheraton.(where I stayed last year)

Also, prices in the downtown hotels tend to be more expensive. There are some good local options, notably the Metro Cafe (corner of Peachtree Center Ave and International Blvd), which is 24 hours and has a great menu. And huge portions. It's within walking distance of most of the big downtown hotels.

Can't figure out how Dominos came up with $35 for two pies, unless they surcharge hotel guests or something. What did you get on those pizzas, everything plus double-cheese? :)

can anyone give a good suggestion for a hotel in downtown. i have been to 3 pp's and i have had enough of the driving to the show thing. and now that the trump tower is going up next door, well nuff said. i am looking to stay in town next year so please advise.

I didn't think food was expensive at all. I had early lunch twice at Einstein Bros., which makes an amazing ham & swiss on ciabatta, with a bottled water and dessert for about $6. I went out for burgers a couple times with friends, and the prices were reasonable -- roughly the same money I spend in the Cleveland area at a good burger joint -- and we only left Midtown once. In past years, I've eaten at Houlihan's, the little middle eastern cafe near the Sheraton, and the Madison Grille, among other places, and they were all decently-priced for what they were. Of course, this might all change next year.

It all depends on where you go, and how much you drink. :)

can anyone give a good suggestion for a hotel in downtown. i have been to 3 pp's and i have had enough of the driving to the show thing. and now that the trump tower is going up next door, well nuff said. i am looking to stay in town next year so please advise.

We won't really know, until we know what's going on with the hotel situation over the next year. I'm not even placing a reservation until we get a little closer to the fest date, and we know where people are going to be staying.

The suggestion to eat at Ru-Sans was very good. $10.00 for a sushi buffet was well worth it. The quality was very good for the price and they had a very good variety. We stuffed ourselves at around 1pm and I couldn't eat anything else the rest of the evening. I was full of swollen rice.

Sushi eaters should go there before a show.

I would say eat at a waffle house, but I did and was sick all weekend after. Next year I'm getting a room with a fridge and microwave!!

Also, prices in the downtown hotels tend to be more expensive. There are some good local options, notably the Metro Cafe (corner of Peachtree Center Ave and International Blvd), which is 24 hours and has a great menu. And huge portions. It's within walking distance of most of the big downtown hotels.

Can't figure out how Dominos came up with $35 for two pies, unless they surcharge hotel guests or something. What did you get on those pizzas, everything plus double-cheese? :)

i got 2 large, 2 topping pizzas

yea during the daytime it wasnt so bad, i didnt know about alot of the stuff, i just asked the hotel guy whats the best way to eat this late and he handed me a delivery menu, and there were only like 2 or 3 open as late as i was getting back from the shows. next year im definitely going to figure out some better eating methods, and definitely check out the metro cafe your talkin about

I would say eat at a waffle house, but I did and was sick all weekend after. Next year I'm getting a room with a fridge and microwave!!
we were actually looking for a near by waffle house, i guess from the sounds of it im glad we didnt! i wish we would have had a microwave. sorry to hear that you got sick though, that sucks! sucks finding out the hard way on stuff like that, especially on occasions like these. luckily i havent been sick on any of my prog power vacations.

The suggestion to eat at Ru-Sans was very good. $10.00 for a sushi buffet was well worth it. The quality was very good for the price and they had a very good variety. We stuffed ourselves at around 1pm and I couldn't eat anything else the rest of the evening. I was full of swollen rice.

Sushi eaters should go there before a show.

Ru San's is awesome! I live here and eat there as much as possible. Tons of food for cheap!!! And good, too, obviously! Eat at the one at Ansley on Piedmont. Probably the closest one to the venue.

Stayed at the Super 8. We go to Kroger's and get a big sub sandwich that we munch on when we get back to the room after hours. We also went to the mexican joint down past Kroger's and also a sports bar way down the street which was just ok for decent lunches.

Stayed at the Super 8. We go to Kroger's and get a big sub sandwich that we munch on when we get back to the room after hours. We also went to the mexican joint down past Kroger's and also a sports bar way down the street which was just ok for decent lunches.

Definitely the grab a sandwich and stick it in your room option has worked great for us the past few years.

Ru San's is awesome! I live here and eat there as much as possible. Tons of food for cheap!!! And good, too, obviously! Eat at the one at Ansley on Piedmont. Probably the closest one to the venue.

would be an amazing idea if i could actually keep it down :(

would be an amazing idea if i could actually keep it down :(

It's not ALL raw there. They actually had some cooked food including a few general chicken dishes.

@Kathy

I have family and friends in ATL and I have eaten at a few "bars". I will have to try the one at Ansley and Piedmont. When I'm in for PP, I crash at a friends condo across from Ga Tech. So I'm always up for mid-town suggestions of all decent restaurants.

I didn't think food was expensive at all. I had early lunch twice at Einstein Bros., which makes an amazing ham & swiss on ciabatta, with a bottled water and dessert for about $6.

I must have missed the Einstein Bros. - is it within walking distance of the venue?

By the way, it was great running into you in the elevator at the Residence as I was bringing my grocery store haul up to my room on a luggage cart. :lol:

With the earlier start on Friday/Saturday, I brought a PB&J sandwich and pita chips to eat at the venue. It doesn't get much cheaper than that...and I didn't miss any bands while waiting for food to come out!

It's not ALL raw there. They actually had some cooked food including a few general chicken dishes.

@Kathy

I have family and friends in ATL and I have eaten at a few "bars". I will have to try the one at Ansley and Piedmont. When I'm in for PP, I crash at a friends condo across from Ga Tech. So I'm always up for mid-town suggestions of all decent restaurants.

We ate breakfast every afternoon (hehe) at the Silver Skillet across the highway by the Courtyard. Awesome all day breakfast. (till 2pm only on Saturday - we barely made it that day) And amazing pies!

Yip and I also like the little pub up the street past the Einstein's and Carolyn's Gourmet. It's not a very long walk. I think it's called Charlie G's or something like that. Better than average pub food. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals there.

I was disappointed in Goodstone Cafe this year, last year we ate there every meal because the service and food quality was so excellent. This year, we ate there Thursday afternoon and the service was terrible and the food was not even that good. We did not go back. Last year, we told EVERYONE to eat there.