For a PPV Newspaper Article

What is your main source for seeking out new music?

• Friends

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Internet Searches

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Magazines

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • MP3 downloading

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Music Stores

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

BobbieJean

Leather and Denim Goddess
Sep 20, 2004
Baltimore, MD
www.myspace.com
I need some help. I'm writing an article for my college's newspaper and would appriciate responses to questions that I have for the attendees of ProgPower. Some of these questions may have already been answered in other forums, but I wanted to make one thread pertaining to the article I'm writing. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to talk to more people at the festival, but I figure this was a good way to reach a lot of people I couldn't before. Answer all or any of the questions if possible and full sentances are appriciated. (Also include your name or an e-mail address where I can reach you for your name if you want me to consider you for quoting.) Thanks.
:headbang:
~Bobbie

1. Where did you travel from and how long did it take you to get to this show?

2. Why was the travel worth it? What makes this music so appealing that people are willing to travel so far?

3. There's such a small fanbase for these bands here in the US. What are some of the ways people develop a knowledge of these bands and their music?

4. Do you hope an appriciation of this type of music spreads? Do you think it actually will? Why or why not?

BobbieJean said:

I came from Minneapolis, Minnesota. The fight itself was about 2 hours, but they pushed the time back about an hour and a half.

BobbieJean said:
2. Why was the travel worth it? What makes this music so appealing that people are willing to travel so far?

I'm honestly more a death/ thrash metal person. But I have loved Savatage for a long time. When I first found out about the show itself, I didn't know it was a music festival. Just the chance to see Savatage reunited was worth it. The reason people travel so far is for the festival itself. A lot of bands playing are making their US debut. Plus, it's a fairly big communitiy as far as the fans go.

BobbieJean said:
3. There's such a small fanbase for these bands here in the US. What are some of the ways people develop a knowledge of these bands and their music?

Word of mouth. And fesitvals like ProgPower. It's not that there is not a large fan base, if there was PPV wouldn't have sold out in a week. The person I traveled with and I used to swap music, he used to lend me power metal and prog metal while I lent him well, the same. Another way is to have them added to other bills.

BobbieJean said:
4. Do you hope an appriciation of this type of music spreads? Do you think it actually will? Why or why not?

Each person has thier own likes and dislikes. I hope it spreads in a way, but I would hate for this music to be mainstream.... once it goes main stream it becomes ruined and watered down and in the end would miss the whole point of the music. But there are Prog/Power metal bands that are fairly popular. Just about everyone has heard the band Dream Theater, not necessarly the music, but the name is fairly common, like the Metallica of Prog rock. I just wish people were more open minded about music. Metal music is very misunderstood. Daily we have pop, rap, hip hop and dance music covered in mainstream magazines, tv, commercials, etc. The more popular music is hyped in mass media, metal isn't. Although there are specialty mag's for it, I know. In general metalheads know a lot about pop music and other musics, not the other way around.

I don't really know if it will take off. All I know and all that matter is that I love all kinds of metal music. There are a lot of heavy/death/doom/thrash metal festivals around, it's about time there was one for Prog/Power and Glenn Harvester gets a killer Kudo's for getting one to this side of the world.

-MetalRose

BobbieJean said:
I need some help. I'm writing an article for my college's newspaper and would appriciate responses to questions that I have for the attendees of ProgPower. Some of these questions may have already been answered in other forums, but I wanted to make one thread pertaining to the article I'm writing. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to talk to more people at the festival, but I figure this was a good way to reach a lot of people I couldn't before. Answer all or any of the questions if possible and full sentances are appriciated. (Also include your name or an e-mail address where I can reach you for your name if you want me to consider you for quoting.) Thanks.
:headbang:
~Bobbie

A: Spring Hill, Florida, average 6 hours one way.

A: Hell yes. It's not the run-of-the-mill force-fed Clearchannel/MTV crap you get all the time.

A: Internet and word of mouth from friends and fans. Wear more concert t-shirts!! :D

A: It was big in the 80s, hopefully it will come around again. People who tire of hearing 10 bands that sound like Korn, Creed and Nickelback(?) need somewhere to turn to.

BobbieJean said:
My wife and I came from a suburb of Chicago. It took us about 5 hours to get to the hotel from door to door.

This was our third ProgPower and the travel has always been worth it. We fly, so generally it is more a question of cost than time. Still, it's worth it. I don't think that the type of music is what draws us back every year. Certainly, we like this type of music more than any other genres, but what really makes it worth it is being able to see 10 bands in two days. Many of those bands have never played in the United States before, and may not be able to play here again for a long time, if ever. On top of that, the people at the ProgPower fests are just the coolest people there are. They are all there to have fun, enjoy the music, and enjoy talking about the music. They don't bring attitudes, and they're just damn friendly.

It's kind of ironic, but ProgPower is one of the way I learn about the most bands. Every year, there are at least a handful of bands that I learn about that I've never listened to before. Those bands may have links on their websites to other bands that they like. That leads me to more music. The people you meet at the shows talk about the music they like, and that leads me to more bands. The samplers that get passed out lead me to other bands. Reading the boards, and reading what other people are listening to leads me to more bands. I buy more CDs as a direct, or indirect result of attending the ProgPower shows, than due to any other influence.

I don't know if I hope it does or not. The part of me that loves the music wants other people to enjoy it to. I have a hard time understanding how people cannot like at least some of this type of music. On the other hand, if it becomes really popular, I am afraid the quality will drop and it will become commercialized and lose its appeal. This happened in the 80's. Metal started to become popular, then it went all haywire when it became mainstream. Then there was the inevitable backlash. I'd hate to see that happen to this music.

I do not think this music will become really popular in the United States. People here have a tendancy to be lazy. They listen to what's on the radio or MTV/VH1. They will not go to the effort of looking for something different or unusual. Even if they did stumble across it, they are generally too lazy to put any thought into what they are hearing. They want pop melodies. They want the same thing they've heard since the Beatles. They don't want music that challenges them in any way.

{Please PM me if you want to quote any of this.}

BobbieJean said:
I travelled from Northeast Atlanta, it's about a ten-minute ride and no traffic-lights from my door to my PP hotel. BUT, I flew to Chicago for the first US ProgPower back in 2000, and I flew to Europe for the first-ever ProgPower in Holland in 1999...so I'm kinda hardcore. :)

The music is technically challenging and often lyrically challenging as well. While most music fans are content with following the mainstream, there are those of us who actively try to find bands and genres that are more "underground." These are bands that, largely lacking radio support, need us, and a healthy progressive underground "scene" to survive and grow. I didn't travel all that far....but I'd be willing to travel anywhere within the contiguous United States for a festival that is this well-managed.
Also, it's not all about the music. It's also about the camaraderie. Many people have remarked on how well-behaved the ProgPower audience is, as a whole. We know we're a bit on the fringe musically, but that just makes us appreciate eachother more.

Online discussion forums, like this one right here, and (especially) the Perpetual Motion board. Also, specialty online radio stations like Rakosh Radio, YtseRadio and SeismicRadio (which I'm proud to be a part of), and to a smaller degree, true broadcast radio like WREKage, of which I'm also proud to be a part. Back in the olden days before the Web, it was all about mailing lists, like the Ytsejam Mailing List for Dream Theater fans, or the National Midnight Star (Rush mailing list). We have it easier nowadays, but those were a great source for discovering progressive metal before, say, 1994.

Fame is a two-edged sword, as others have pointed out. Most of us can agree that we'd like our favorite bands to "make it" financially -- after all, musical talent and brilliance deserve their just rewards, and besides, it would REALLLLY be cool to be able to say to the doubters "See!? I told you so!" --But as soon as any style of music gets popular, the major labels all jump on the bandwagon, signing (or creating) bands that kinda sound like that surprise band who sold 3 million copies of whatever CD last year (there's always one of those)...and then people get tired of the genre being overplayed and it dies.

Traveled from Orlando, FL. The 450 mile trip took roughly 7 hours because of the storms.

Absolutely it is worth it. The music is appealing because of the sense of melody and song structure, the skillful instrumentalists, the genuine enthusiasm of the bands, and of course the fans (I have never been to shows where everyone was so friendly!). It is heartwarming to know that there are many in America that share the same distain as I for coporate McRadio.

I cannot speak for everyone, but for myself it has been the internet. In 1998 I came across an internet radio station that was streaming Iced Earth and Primal Fear. I haven't been the same since.

I think so. But as long as there are drunken frat boys, there will be LimBizkits.

Unfortunately this whole thing isn't going to be published in my college's newspaper, because it's to long. So I have to trim it down for them, but I wanted you guys to be able to read the whole thing even if I have to cut some of it out to get this published. Anyway here it is:

One Weekend for Die-Hard Fans
By Bobbie Dickerson

Just outside of Baltimore at 5:45 a.m. on Thursday, September 16th, Nick Saulsbury wakes up and gets dressed. He packs a three black band t-shirts, socks, boxers and an extra pair of black leather pants into an old black back-pack. He tosses in his tooth brush and deodorant.

At 6 a.m. his friend Charles, or C.T., meets Nick at his house and they load up the car and discuss a few of the final details regarding their 12-hour trip to Atlanta, GA this weekend. By 7 a.m. they are pulling out of Nick’s neighborhood in Catonsville, MD and anticipating the long drive ahead of them.

They make only one stop along the way, about half way, at a Hardee’s in North Carolina for lunch. They pull into the gas station next door to refill the tank of C.T.’s ’99 Chevrolet Cavalier and then their travel resumes.

Saulsbury and C.T. aren’t driving 12 hours for their jobs, for their schooling, or to visit one of their families. They are driving 12 hours for music. Music that, in their minds, they may not be able to hear live ever again. They are driving 12 hours for the ProgPower V Festival, a two-day Progressive and Power Metal music festival that, as Promoter Glenn Harveston puts it, “caters to the hardcore fan.”

It’s a once in a lifetime chance according to Saulsbury. “You can drive one hour to see bands you can see anywhere or you can drive 12 hours to see a bunch of bands you’ll probably only have one chance to see or what may be a band’s only American appearance in their career,” he explains.

Bands that preformed at this year’s ProgPower Festival included a variety of both Progressive and Power Metal groups including: Into Eternity from Canada, Dreamscape from Denmark, Tad Morose from Sweden, Kamelot from Germany, Adagio with members from both France and Brazil, Wuthering Heights from Denmark, Brainstorm from Germany, Pain of Salvation from Sweden, and headliners Weapons of Mass Destruction (former members of Savatage) from the U.S. and Edguy from Germany.

The creative mind behind the ProgPower Festival for the past five years has been Glenn Harveston, who got the idea from the PowerMan Festival, which started on the outskirts of Baltimore. According to Harveston, after a few years PowerMan began to die out. After a night of drinking with his buddies, Harveston began thinking about the PowerMan Festival.

He was determined that he could put on the same type of festival or was at least willing to give it a shot. “I started small and basically put it together from scratch,” Harveston recalls in his slight, but still noticeable southern accent.

Five festivals later ProgPower is still going strong. Having sold out its 900 ticket show in less than a week, this year the festival drew fans from 38 states in the U.S. and 14 countries around the world, the farthest away being Japan.

Harveston proudly explains that the turnout of fans is “a complete validation for the effort I put out. It’s awesome!”

“The music that is played there [ProgPower] is so appreciated by its fan base that they will travel from anywhere,” Saulsbury comments.

Jeremy Gordon who drove 12 hours from Detroit for ProgPower also feels that it takes a certain kind of person to come to this festival. “There are those people who just take whatever the media feeds to them and don’t explore. And then there are diehards like us who will travel far and wide to see those bands they can’t see anywhere else.”

These diehards, with their black band t-shirts and long hair, are the people who make up the fan base for progressive and power rock that support festivals such as ProgPower. What seems to be a minority among music fans is actually an overlooked community of music lovers who lack the support of media needed to create a more mainstream genre.

One member of ProgPower’s online discussion forum, by the user name of Pellaz, noted that “These are bands that, largely lacking radio support, need us and a healthy progressive underground ‘scene’ to survive and grow.”

Another member of the forum, user name MetalRose, writes. “Metal music is very misunderstood. Daily we have pop, rap, hip hop and dance music covered in mainstream magazines, TV, commercials, etc. The more popular music is hyped in mass media, metal isn’t. […] In general, metalheads know a lot about pop music and other music, not the other way around.”

Saulsbury thinks that the lack of support for progressive and power metal in America is more due to the consumer than the corporate media sources themselves. “Most of this music has certain elements that not everybody will appreciate or not everybody will understand. The majority of Americans don’t want to hear an eight minute neoclassical piece. They want a three minute drum and bass song with a catchy chorus.”

Nevertheless, festivals like ProgPower are one way the genre continues to grow. For the weekend of the festival an entire section of the venue is dedicated to vendors who are selling music and music paraphernalia which is often difficult to find in your average music store.

The festival took place at Atlanta’s Earthlink Live, a two story venue large enough to accommodate for the over 900 attendees, bands and crew at the festival that weekend.

The average person might think that a gathering of over 900 metal-heads would equal a nasty, violent crowd like you might find in the pit shoving and pushing at such festivals like Ozzfest. Not one such “mosh-pit” broke out all weekend.

“The people at ProgPower fests are just the coolest people there are. They are all there to have fun, enjoy the music, and enjoy talking about the music. They don’t bring attitudes, and they’re just damn friendly,” writes yet another user from ProgPower’s forum, who goes by the alias Yippee38.

This year as soon as you walked through the door there were several greeters handing out promotional materials including a concert program, complete with band interviews, places for autographs, a schedule of the bands performance times and “meet and greet” times, and advertisements for music vendors who sell progressive and power metal.

Along with the festival’s program you received a two-disc promotional CD including several of the bands from that weekend, and several other flyers advertising for vendors like the ones at the festival.

“ProgPower is one of the ways I learn about the most bands. Every year, there are at least a handful of bands that I learn about that I’ve never listened to before. Those bands may have links on websites to other bands that they like. That leads me to more music,” writes Yippee38.

“The people you meet at the shows talk about the music they like, and that leads me to more bands. The samplers that get passed out lead me to other bands. Reading the boards, and reading what other people are listening to [in the online forum] leads me to more bands. I buy more CDs as a direct, or indirect, result of attending ProPower shows, than due to any other influence.”

Unfortunately, as Tobias Sammet, lead singer of Edguy, complains to the crowd during their performance Saturday night, “There’s not so many of these festivals here in the U.S.” A male voice, in reply, shouts out from the shadowed seats of the auditorium, “We need more.”

But fear not. If you don’t have the hundred dollars to blow on a ticket to the two-day festival, or the time in you schedule to drive or fly to Atlanta once a year, there is still hope for those seeking out new music. Saulsbury cites several ways to obtain new and sometimes obscure music in the progressive and power metal genres.

Most people find music by talking with friends and sharing what they have found. Magazines such as Pitt and Metal Edge also enable people to seek out new music in this genre. Others discover new bands or songs by doing internet searches, downloading MP3s, or reading reviews on websites such as Blabbermouth.com.

With an ever-growing fan base, many bands face the challenges of being considered “sell-outs” as opposed to staying true to their progressive metal origins.

“It’s a fine line,” Glenn Harveston says. “You deserve to reap the rewards of your hard work. But if you change too much you’re going to loose your hardcore fans and a little bit of respect.”

Members of the ProgPower forum seem to agree. “The part of me that loves the music wants other people to enjoy it too. On the other hand, if it becomes really popular, I am afraid the quality will drop and it will become commercialized and lose its appeal,” explains Yippee38.

Pellaz validates the points made by both Harveston and Yippee giving the typical timeline for many genres, “Fame is a two-edge sword. Most of us can agree that we’d like our favorite bands to ‘make it’ financially – after all, musical talent and brilliance deserve their just rewards. But as soon as any style of music get popular, the major labels all jump on the band wagon, signing (or creating) bands that kinda sound like that surprise band who sold three million copies of whatever CD last year and then people get tired of the genre being overplayed and it dies.”

The hope among ProgPower fans seems to be that this won’t happen. Until corporate America decides to market this growing musical genre, fans like Nick and C.T. and their music remain safe.
On Sunday morning delay their estimated departure time from Atlanta by smacking the snooze button on the alarm in their Marriot Courtyard hotel room. They finally check out a little after 9 a.m. and begin their trek home to Baltimore.

A flat tire and slight detour lengthen their travel time and they arrive home at 11:30 p.m. They are both glad to be home, even though they have had to leave all the fun and excitement of the weekend behind them.

Saulsbury unpacks his black book-bag, the dirty laundry and toiletries have been crammed to the bottom to make room for all of the promotional materials and music memorabilia he has acquired over the two day festival which now lay sprawled over his bed waiting for assessment.

When asked if he’ll make the trip again next year Saulsbury has his answers ready immediately. “I don’t know how they’re going to beat the lineup from this year. Regardless of who’s playing, there’s no question as to whether or not I’m going.”

Hmm, change all occurences of "PowerMan" to "PowerMad" :Spin:

You might also want to read it through for minor errors (e.g., "preformed") and I can see a school newspaper editor cutting some parts, but otherwise, nice job!

BobbieJean said:
Unfortunately this whole thing isn't going to be published in my college's newspaper, because it's to long. So I have to trim it down for them, but I wanted you guys to be able to read the whole thing even if I have to cut some of it out to get this published. Anyway here it is:

One Weekend for Die-Hard Fans
By Bobbie Dickerson

Just outside of Baltimore at 5:45 a.m. on Thursday, September 16th, Nick Saulsbury wakes up and gets dressed. He packs a three black band t-shirts, socks, boxers and an extra pair of black leather pants into an old black back-pack. He tosses in his tooth brush and deodorant.

At 6 a.m. his friend Charles, or C.T., meets Nick at his house and they load up the car and discuss a few of the final details regarding their 12-hour trip to Atlanta, GA this weekend. By 7 a.m. they are pulling out of Nick’s neighborhood in Catonsville, MD and anticipating the long drive ahead of them.

They make only one stop along the way, about half way, at a Hardee’s in North Carolina for lunch. They pull into the gas station next door to refill the tank of C.T.’s ’99 Chevrolet Cavalier and then their travel resumes.

Saulsbury and C.T. aren’t driving 12 hours for their jobs, for their schooling, or to visit one of their families. They are driving 12 hours for music. Music that, in their minds, they may not be able to hear live ever again. They are driving 12 hours for the ProgPower V Festival, a two-day Progressive and Power Metal music festival that, as Promoter Glenn Harveston puts it, “caters to the hardcore fan.”

It’s a once in a lifetime chance according to Saulsbury. “You can drive one hour to see bands you can see anywhere or you can drive 12 hours to see a bunch of bands you’ll probably only have one chance to see or what may be a band’s only American appearance in their career,” he explains.

Bands that preformed at this year’s ProgPower Festival included a variety of both Progressive and Power Metal groups including: Into Eternity from Canada, Dreamscape from Denmark, Tad Morose from Sweden, Kamelot from Germany, Adagio with members from both France and Brazil, Wuthering Heights from Denmark, Brainstorm from Germany, Pain of Salvation from Sweden, and headliners Weapons of Mass Destruction (former members of Savatage) from the U.S. and Edguy from Germany.

The creative mind behind the ProgPower Festival for the past five years has been Glenn Harveston, who got the idea from the PowerMan Festival, which started on the outskirts of Baltimore. According to Harveston, after a few years PowerMan began to die out. After a night of drinking with his buddies, Harveston began thinking about the PowerMan Festival.

He was determined that he could put on the same type of festival or was at least willing to give it a shot. “I started small and basically put it together from scratch,” Harveston recalls in his slight, but still noticeable southern accent.

Five festivals later ProgPower is still going strong. Having sold out its 900 ticket show in less than a week, this year the festival drew fans from 38 states in the U.S. and 14 countries around the world, the farthest away being Japan.

Harveston proudly explains that the turnout of fans is “a complete validation for the effort I put out. It’s awesome!”

“The music that is played there [ProgPower] is so appreciated by its fan base that they will travel from anywhere,” Saulsbury comments.

Jeremy Gordon who drove 12 hours from Detroit for ProgPower also feels that it takes a certain kind of person to come to this festival. “There are those people who just take whatever the media feeds to them and don’t explore. And then there are diehards like us who will travel far and wide to see those bands they can’t see anywhere else.”

These diehards, with their black band t-shirts and long hair, are the people who make up the fan base for progressive and power rock that support festivals such as ProgPower. What seems to be a minority among music fans is actually an overlooked community of music lovers who lack the support of media needed to create a more mainstream genre.

One member of ProgPower’s online discussion forum, by the user name of Pellaz, noted that “These are bands that, largely lacking radio support, need us and a healthy progressive underground ‘scene’ to survive and grow.”

Another member of the forum, user name MetalRose, writes. “Metal music is very misunderstood. Daily we have pop, rap, hip hop and dance music covered in mainstream magazines, TV, commercials, etc. The more popular music is hyped in mass media, metal isn’t. […] In general, metalheads know a lot about pop music and other music, not the other way around.”

Saulsbury thinks that the lack of support for progressive and power metal in America is more due to the consumer than the corporate media sources themselves. “Most of this music has certain elements that not everybody will appreciate or not everybody will understand. The majority of Americans don’t want to hear an eight minute neoclassical piece. They want a three minute drum and bass song with a catchy chorus.”

Nevertheless, festivals like ProgPower are one way the genre continues to grow. For the weekend of the festival an entire section of the venue is dedicated to vendors who are selling music and music paraphernalia which is often difficult to find in your average music store.

The festival took place at Atlanta’s Earthlink Live, a two story venue large enough to accommodate for the over 900 attendees, bands and crew at the festival that weekend.

The average person might think that a gathering of over 900 metal-heads would equal a nasty, violent crowd like you might find in the pit shoving and pushing at such festivals like Ozzfest. Not one such “mosh-pit” broke out all weekend.

“The people at ProgPower fests are just the coolest people there are. They are all there to have fun, enjoy the music, and enjoy talking about the music. They don’t bring attitudes, and they’re just damn friendly,” writes yet another user from ProgPower’s forum, who goes by the alias Yippee38.

This year as soon as you walked through the door there were several greeters handing out promotional materials including a concert program, complete with band interviews, places for autographs, a schedule of the bands performance times and “meet and greet” times, and advertisements for music vendors who sell progressive and power metal.

Along with the festival’s program you received a two-disc promotional CD including several of the bands from that weekend, and several other flyers advertising for vendors like the ones at the festival.

“ProgPower is one of the ways I learn about the most bands. Every year, there are at least a handful of bands that I learn about that I’ve never listened to before. Those bands may have links on websites to other bands that they like. That leads me to more music,” writes Yippee38.

“The people you meet at the shows talk about the music they like, and that leads me to more bands. The samplers that get passed out lead me to other bands. Reading the boards, and reading what other people are listening to [in the online forum] leads me to more bands. I buy more CDs as a direct, or indirect, result of attending ProPower shows, than due to any other influence.”

Unfortunately, as Tobias Sammet, lead singer of Edguy, complains to the crowd during their performance Saturday night, “There’s not so many of these festivals here in the U.S.” A male voice, in reply, shouts out from the shadowed seats of the auditorium, “We need more.”

But fear not. If you don’t have the hundred dollars to blow on a ticket to the two-day festival, or the time in you schedule to drive or fly to Atlanta once a year, there is still hope for those seeking out new music. Saulsbury cites several ways to obtain new and sometimes obscure music in the progressive and power metal genres.

Most people find music by talking with friends and sharing what they have found. Magazines such as Pitt and Metal Edge also enable people to seek out new music in this genre. Others discover new bands or songs by doing internet searches, downloading MP3s, or reading reviews on websites such as Blabbermouth.com.

With an ever-growing fan base, many bands face the challenges of being considered “sell-outs” as opposed to staying true to their progressive metal origins.

“It’s a fine line,” Glenn Harveston says. “You deserve to reap the rewards of your hard work. But if you change too much you’re going to loose your hardcore fans and a little bit of respect.”

Members of the ProgPower forum seem to agree. “The part of me that loves the music wants other people to enjoy it too. On the other hand, if it becomes really popular, I am afraid the quality will drop and it will become commercialized and lose its appeal,” explains Yippee38.

Pellaz validates the points made by both Harveston and Yippee giving the typical timeline for many genres, “Fame is a two-edge sword. Most of us can agree that we’d like our favorite bands to ‘make it’ financially – after all, musical talent and brilliance deserve their just rewards. But as soon as any style of music get popular, the major labels all jump on the band wagon, signing (or creating) bands that kinda sound like that surprise band who sold three million copies of whatever CD last year and then people get tired of the genre being overplayed and it dies.”

The hope among ProgPower fans seems to be that this won’t happen. Until corporate America decides to market this growing musical genre, fans like Nick and C.T. and their music remain safe.
On Sunday morning delay their estimated departure time from Atlanta by smacking the snooze button on the alarm in their Marriot Courtyard hotel room. They finally check out a little after 9 a.m. and begin their trek home to Baltimore.

A flat tire and slight detour lengthen their travel time and they arrive home at 11:30 p.m. They are both glad to be home, even though they have had to leave all the fun and excitement of the weekend behind them.

Saulsbury unpacks his black book-bag, the dirty laundry and toiletries have been crammed to the bottom to make room for all of the promotional materials and music memorabilia he has acquired over the two day festival which now lay sprawled over his bed waiting for assessment.

When asked if he’ll make the trip again next year Saulsbury has his answers ready immediately. “I don’t know how they’re going to beat the lineup from this year. Regardless of who’s playing, there’s no question as to whether or not I’m going.”

Very nice article although I am not sure Kamelot is from Germany, I believe Roy Khan the singer is from Norway but the rest of the band is from Tampa, Florida. Good stuff man! :) Cheers, Tony

FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!

Oh. Sorry. This is a cool survey.

*ahem*

DEEEtroit Rock City, and 12 straight hours of driving. 11-1/2 if you omit lunch at Hooters in Lexington, KY.

Of course! Because it's the kind of music that gets me going! I need my ears and my mind to be stimulated, not lulled to sleep by the simple stuff they play on the radio. If I wanted to be bored to death, I'd go to Warped Tour.

Meeting someone who says, "Hey, if you like (insert musician or band) you should check out (potential musician or band) I think you'd like them." And then you hop on the internet, do a little research, get a sample of the music, and see if you like it. If it's good, you try to get a few more samples. If it's really good, you try to find the album on sale locally or on various online CD stores. And if it's great, you get tickets to ProgPower and see them LIVE IN ALL THEIR GLORY!

Of course I want it to gain popularity! That means less mediocre, brain-numbing bands who suck up TRL time on eMpTyV, and more time to save the collective music-listening youth of America from another hack boy band or hip hop one-hit-wonder. Do I think it actually will? Of course not. The Masses don't want to be challenged or stimulated. They are lazy. They want the lazy man's music. Just fill their ears and that's all they care for. Certainly the equivalent of turning on Jerry Springer and letting your mind drain away.

Sure, email me.

Bryan316@comcast.net