For Guitarist: What is the most difficult SX song (concerning guitar)??

DestrwidoR said:
What problem with The Accolade???

I'm not a superguitarrist, I'm Intermediate and, to me, The Accolade is very simple and easy,,, the first song that I've learned from Symphony X was The Accolade,,

I don't play it very very accurate like Romeo but it's all okay...

to me,,, Smoke and Mirrors is a big difficult,,, Damnation Game too... (I've already posted it but, it's so difficult that have honor to be here again):Smug:

hey Yngvai do you have sure about what you've heard?

Yep, I heard it from the TiO touring bassist Andy Deluca. He toldme those were the songs Romeo said were the hardest for him. I can understand why The Accolade is hard, theres a lot of very particular phrasing in a lot of the leads, plus the end of the second solo has a very difficult sweeping/tapping part thats particularly hard since its very high on the neck.

Yngvai X said:
Yep, I heard it from the TiO touring bassist Andy Deluca. He toldme those were the songs Romeo said were the hardest for him. I can understand why The Accolade is hard, theres a lot of very particular phrasing in a lot of the leads, plus the end of the second solo has a very difficult sweeping/tapping part thats particularly hard since its very high on the neck.

oh yeah,,, those a little before the string skipping part, right?

Yes it's hard, but he pick the same string sometimes and make it a little easy than others things that mix arpeggios and tappings with string skipping...

This song, like you said, has a lot of very particular phrasing in a lot of leads, analyzing these parts one by one it's seems not so hard, but putting it together in a live show, with all complex of harmony and rhythm that this song have, makes it the hardest one,,, I think it's the same way with The Odyssey.

Just on Smoke & Mirrors, anyone here who can play the intro cleanly (ie. the arpeggios)? Just wondering if you do it as tabbed out in most of the tabs on the net. Basically I'd like to know if it's possible to play cleanly. Been working on it a while now.

So, who can play it?

:kickass:

Harro.

of all the Sym X i have heard, i would say the toughest song to play would be either O.S.A.S. or smoke and mirrors, or if you want to talk just sheer marathon playing, the odyssey (god do i need to work on my sweeping/legato)

this was my reaction when i first heard sea of lies :OMG:

of all the Sym X i have heard, i would say the toughest song to play would be either O.S.A.S. or smoke and mirrors, or if you want to talk just sheer marathon playing, the odyssey (god do i need to work on my sweeping/legato)

this was my reaction when i first heard sea of lies :OMG:

Zax666 said:
@Serge - There's no cheating about tabs, IMHO, as long as you're able to figure out the tune anyway.

Well, I'm taking an AP music thoery class in high school, and learning to write out 4 voice parts by ear in only a few listens. Solos and riffs and stuff shouldn't be too hard, I'm just lazy.

A lot of the stuff you guys are naming is easier than it sounds... like the straight sixteenths in Damnation Game - just takes lots of practice. The SOLOS are wicked, but the intro isn't all THAT bad. Same with Out of the Ashes. I found OatA to be one of the easier ones. The really wicked stuff is when he just free-shreds, not the stuff he took time to compose... no easily-discernable rhythms, more chaotic stuff. Like the legato run after the tapping in the first solo of "Of Sins and Shadows." I have a much harder time with the stuff that doesn't follow a pattern, where he just goes nuts.. Maybe that's just me.

Oh... I can play the intro to Smoke and Mirrors cleanly on a good day, Harro. I do it for the most part like the tabs on the net. That Luis Moreno guy who posted here a while ago had a good tab, too. The solos are damn near impossible, though! They're probably my favorite Romeo solos.

Which reminds me, does anyone realize the major fuckup in the tab for Smoke and Mirrors, in the second guitar solo? When it goes all silent except for wicked arpeggios - those are the string-skipped, tapped, diminished arps he seems so fond of. The tab says to do some crazy, terrible sweeping.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Oh... I can play the intro to Smoke and Mirrors cleanly on a good day, Harro. I do it for the most part like the tabs on the net. That Luis Moreno guy who posted here a while ago had a good tab, too. The solos are damn near impossible, though! They're probably my favorite Romeo solos.

Which reminds me, does anyone realize the major fuckup in the tab for Smoke and Mirrors, in the second guitar solo? When it goes all silent except for wicked arpeggios - those are the string-skipped, tapped, diminished arps he seems so fond of. The tab says to do some crazy, terrible sweeping.

Hey, you're right. I never even tried to learn that solo so I guess I never noticed. It sounds right in the guitar pro tab though so it shouldn't be to hard to rearrange into tapping form.

a lot

the only SX that I can stil play is the solo from eyes of medusa
but thats the first solo where I looked at the tabs, have to start with that

yeah, it's just a great big diminished 7th starting on C... tap up to Eb, then go up a tritone, then go up a minor 3rd, then another minor third and trill... And yeah, I took into consideration the fact that he's a bastard who tunes down to confuse us. :-D

Edit: Nope, I suck - starts on an F - 10th fret on the A. According to the Guitar pro at least, and that guy's a got a helluva lot better ear than me.

I'd say Death Of Balance. On LOTEOF even Romeo has some hard time to play the melodies cleanly. :p

OSAS (solo exluded) and The Eyes Of Medusa are IMO the easiest songs on DWOT. But then again, those are the only songs I've practised to play.

I've been working my ass off on learning to play Inferno and I have all the rhythms down. Getting those right on time and clean is a major pain in the ass however. The solo in that song strikes me as probably one of the tougher SyX pieces to play, the tapping is just all over the damned place. As for rhythms, I think playing Evolution clean is rhythmicly a majorly difficult task, takes a lot of concentration a steady picking.

Most of the string-skip tapping stuff is similar, all dominant and minor 7ths (the diminished ones are a lot easier, like in "Inferno" and "A Fool's Paradise"). You just gotta remember when to keep going up, and when to go back down, if that makes any sense. :) But remember, I said MOST of it, so don't start flipping out and bringing up all the ungodly, impossible stuff - I just kind of disregard it and say, "Nope, not happening."

So, Whats the most difficult song incluiding solo?? When i saw the guitar chapter video and Romeo playing Sins and Shadow my eyes and my head jumped, insane.....

But im not a guitar player, so i perhaps my opinion its incorrect.
Probably the starting solo in the divine wings of tragedy track
So, Whats the most difficult song incluiding solo?? When i saw the guitar chapter video and Romeo playing Sins and Shadow my eyes and my head jumped, insane.....

Probably the solo from the track divine wings of tragedy in the start of the song is most difficult. There us a jump between 1st and 6th strings, tapping, and legato I think.