For Nevermore fans "Enemies of Reality" my views on it

Soul of Ice

Rusted Angel
Jul 29, 2002
Yonkers
Visit site
I think this album should smoke but I still have some problems with it.

Positives:

Best music the band has done since Politics. The heavyness is much appreciated. The solos by Loomis are absolutely brilliant and heartfelt on the whole album. My favorite is the one from Tommorow Turns Into Yesterday.

Gripes:

Singing - Warrel is still a vocal god, but every single song has the same reverb and vocal layering. I also would have liked to have heard a little Sanctuary type vocals here and there.

Lyrics - Very awesome indeed, the self titled song is absolutely amazing with imagery (sp*), but on a whole the album doesnt have as many great one liners as some of the previous albums. My favorite line from this one is "In the cold embrace of the unknown, not even blood can bring us warmth". But that simply cannot compare to "The velvet sleep is conviction only fools know". Dont get me wrong, they are still great like usual from the madman Warrel but I was hoping for just a little more.

Production - The final product is not that much better than the mp3's I had. The only difference I hear is that the guitars and drums are a bit clearer. There is still some fuzz on a couple songs and I cannot put on bass without the cd sounding distorted. Again i would have wished they would have changed up the vocals a little bit. My favorite production is still from the NK days.

Length - 41 minutes. Seems a little short for the guys, I suspect they are saving material for Nuclear Blast.

Art - Travis is the man but i would have liked to have seen a little more work from him like one piece every other song like on Dead Heart.

Last Gripe - Warrel says "fucking" on Create the Infinite. He is the one who said that he feels cursing is not necessary in songs. I have always loved the fact that he never relied on using the f word in songs.

All in all I still like the album a lot, but I think the problems I have with it prevent it from my favorite release of the year (which I was counting on).

I highly suggest you get the album because it mixes styles of Politics of Ecstacy and Dead Heart in a Dead World, which in my opinion is the most interesting sound from the band to date.

Soul of Ice said:
Production - The final product is not that much better than the mp3's I had. The only difference I hear is that the guitars and drums are a bit clearer. There is still some fuzz on a couple songs and I cannot put on bass without the cd sounding distorted. Again i would have wished they would have changed up the vocals a little bit. My favorite production is still from the NK days.

Sup Dudes, I haven't posted here in a while, but I have one little bit of information to add, soul of ice. I read that they pushed back the album release so that they could re-master it. It seemed funny to me, I mean, they haven't even released the album yet and they are re-mastering it? But, after reading what you had to say about the production, it makes perfect sense. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in there, in case anyone didn't know that.

I love Nevermore... but I loathe "Enemies of Reality"... what a huge disappointment... the production is incredibly bad... Kelly Grey sucks... and the songs just aren't there... there isn't any depth to the music like there was on previous albums...

I agree regarding the length and the guitar work, as for the remastering issue, either they were going for a more aggressive and rawer sound or they were being shortchanged by CM...bastards. Warrel's vocals and lyrics are as powerful as ever, if not as immediate on the last two albums...

Jeff's solos are amzing on this disk far better than Dead Heart, however, in my opinion the album could be more diverse with some more mellow parts here and there. Also , Warrel doesnt shine like he has on past albums. They also went a little overboard with the vocal dubbing.As far as the production, if you go onto the nevermore board, it is a popular topoic as well, supposedly there are 2 different copis of the album. mine sounds fine. The album is awesome, but doesnt live up to Dead Heart In A Dead World in my opinion.

I went to Best Buy and they said the only store that got the album in on the July 29th release date in the Pacific Northwest was Anchorage, Alaska :zombie:

So..I'm fairly confused as to what the hell is going on. I ordered the album from amazon.com last night, we'll see what I get.

How many times do I have to hear comparisons to Dead Heart?

Get this through your heads... DEAD HEART WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT, AND ENEMIES OF REALITY IS A RETURN TO FORM!

Seriously, the only people who think Dead Heart is the best Nevermore album are the ones who don't really get them. Dead Heart was far too straightforward for a Nevermore release. Enemies of Reality is a lot more of what Nevermore should sound like. Take a visit over to the Nevermore board, and see if anyone really thinks DH is better than EoR. And if you do find one, it is moste likely a n00b.

Also get it through your heads that Nevermore is about thrashing technical aggression, not an exercise in how many medium paced ballads you can fit into an album (DHIADW)

ThePhilosopher said:
How many times do I have to hear comparisons to Dead Heart?

Get this through your heads... DEAD HEART WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT, AND ENEMIES OF REALITY IS A RETURN TO FORM!

Seriously, the only people who think Dead Heart is the best Nevermore album are the ones who don't really get them. Dead Heart was far too straightforward for a Nevermore release. Enemies of Reality is a lot more of what Nevermore should sound like. Take a visit over to the Nevermore board, and see if anyone really thinks DH is better than EoR. And if you do find one, it is moste likely a n00b.

Also get it through your heads that Nevermore is about thrashing technical aggression, not an exercise in how many medium paced ballads you can fit into an album (DHIADW)

I agree...but I wouldn't trash DHIADW so much. I like that album...but it does seem a little too much like an attempt at MAINSTREAM for nevermore. Anyway, from the three songs I've heard on the album, include the ballad, Who Decides, which kicks ass BTW, I think this album will crush the previous four. My fav is DNB, followed by a toss up between politics and the S/T....I think this one may become my new fav....have to wait a few days to get it from amazon though.

Demonspell said:
If you consider yourself a Nevermore fan, buy the album and form your own judgement, don't allow arguments on message boards to discourage you...
Thats the thing, I'm not much of a Nevermore fan considering the only cd I have of their's is Dead Heart and I don't like it...

I bought it yesterday, and I love it. Someone over on Nevermore's forum suggested tweaking your stereos settings. I did that, and it seemed to clear the distorted sound out. The music is very intense. And, it is definitely Nevermore. I think I might end up liking it better that DHIADW. Dreaming is still my favorite by them. The River Dragon Has Come is my favorite song by them.

I like Dead Heart too, but that wasn't really the best representation of the Nevermore sound. Unfortunately it was also the introduction to Nevermore for a lot of people, I guess made them think something else.

Dead Heart got me into the band and I am eternally grateful for that. I do think some of the best nevermore songs are on it though like "We Disintigrate", "the River Dragon Has Come", and "The Sound of Silence". So far for me the order of my favorites are Politics of Ecstacy, Dreaming Neon Black, Dead Heart, Enemies, then S/T.

All are great but to me thats their order of greatness.