??? For San Francisco Concert Goer's

i am fabio

Jan 26, 2006
Nor. Cal.
I don't know how many people here on this forum attend San Fran. Metal concerts but I didn't know where else to turn. The Pound from what I've seen on their website has shut down. Just wondering where the bands coming through will be heading now. Is there alot of other good venues for these bands to book. Just curious to where they might play now that the beloved Pound has shut down. Many kickass concerts :)rock: ) have been experienced there by yours truly. Hope there are other cool smaller venues for these bands coming over to make their presence felt in Nor-Cal.

What about the Fillmore on Market St., that's an old, old venue. I left Nor. Cal about 7 yrs ago so have no idea what is still around. We used to go to the Pound, the Omni, Slims and the Henry J. Kaiser Auditorium. Isn't there a trade paper up there that tells of gigs and events....like our L.A. Weekly?

What about the Fillmore on Market St., that's an old, old venue. I left Nor. Cal about 7 yrs ago so have no idea what is still around. We used to go to the Pound, the Omni, Slims and the Henry J. Kaiser Auditorium. Isn't there a trade paper up there that tells of gigs and events....like our L.A. Weekly?

There are shows being spread out. I havent seen anything annouced for the SF side for the bands that were booked for the Pound though. Alot of the band sthat were being booked for The Pound are now going over to a club in Oakland, which sucks. There are some great places to see shows in the city. We have the Avalon Ball Room which doesnt show enough though, there is the Great American Music Hall which rocks, same story though. The Fillmore is still going strong, just alot of different acts there, not to much metal. There is a place called the Indipendent which I am hoping will start booking more metal shows, since its just a kick ass place. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I miss the old days of the Stone, The Omni and the One Step Beyond down in the south bay...

Well... you have

Testament

January
27 - San Francisco, CA at The Independent

Only F'ing US show right now.

Thanks for the info. I seen alot of places being named that are much larger than The Pound. Of course I think that all the bands I have seen at The
Pound deserve to Headline at the Fillmore but isn't it about twice the size? I'm just worried that the bands might have to wait even longer to come back. What is Slim's like?

Hopefully this place you speak of Bear, "The Independant", does start taking on some of these shows. I'd hate to have to go to Oakland :erk: (but I will). Let me know if you hear any news about this stuff. I wanna know where, in the future, my most grand experiences will blossom from. :cool:

Oh yeah forgot about Slim's, thats a killer place too. I saw Nightwish there a couple years ago, plus my friends band Damage Inc last year which rocked. Its a cool place, wish they had more metal bands play there. Also forgot about the DNA Loung which is right down the street from Slims, which is an AWESOME place but again they just dont play enough metal bands there...Hopefully things start picking up, looks like some shows are starting to happen more over in Alameda too, at Roosters Roadhouse, but that is a little dive, alot smaller than the Pound, I dont want to see any national or international acts play there.

A few Shows ended up at Bourbon Street in Concord too.
The Great American Music Hall is Awesome! Perfect size venue, Great stage, I wish they would book all the shows there. Slims is cool, I saw Children of Bodom there last year, great time. My one hope is that the shows end up in a place with a properly elevated stage... Get those guitars above the heads of the crowd!!! My only complaint about the Pound was the low ceiling and the low stage height.

The Pound was an embarrassment, and I'm glad it got shut down. I've seen plenty of shows at places other than the Pound, so all the people freaking out about it shutting down are just blowing off hot air. We've got The Fillmore, Slim's, The Avalon Ballroom, The Great American Music hall, and a few others, which is plenty.

The Pound was an embarrassment, and I'm glad it got shut down. I've seen plenty of shows at places other than the Pound, so all the people freaking out about it shutting down are just blowing off hot air. We've got The Fillmore, Slim's, The Avalon Ballroom, The Great American Music hall, and a few others, which is plenty.

But non of those places you mentioned were dedicated to metal, like the Pound was, thats the problem with SF venues...It was better than nothing, which is pretty much were we are at until someone steps up.

But non of those places you mentioned were dedicated to metal, like the Pound was, thats the problem with SF venues...It was better than nothing, which is pretty much were we are at until someone steps up.

I hated seeing shows at the Pound. There were quite a few shows I wanted to see, but when I saw they were at the Pound I decided it wasn't really worth it. The scene will pick back up again, and hopefully this time with much better venues.

This thread has good timing since I just took a job out there. So, I'm moving to the Bay Area (Silicon Valley) from Atlanta in January. I've lived in the ATL most all my life, so it will be a big transition for me.

I will definitely need to know where to go for metal concerts.

I also need to meet some of you SF ProgPower people because I don't really know anyone out there at all! I'm sure the metal scene out there is better than Atlanta though.:headbang:

Robin

Well... you have

Testament

January
27 - San Francisco, CA at The Independent

Only F'ing US show right now.

Oh, man.... so close after Christmas, and funds will be low to be trying to fly out to San Fran... bummer.... :cry: last time we saw Testament was in LA at the House of Blues. :headbang:

Realm;

Enjoy the holidays and have a safe move! I'm sure you'll enjoy CA, it has a lot to offer. I spent some time in Agusta and I sure like our weather better:p